• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

BU 1988 five pound sovereign.

wilky1

Hi, I have had one of these for a few years now and I am wondering what its worth ( I was given it as payment for a debt ) It looks to be in a good condition with its box and COA.

So can someone give me an idea of value as it needs adding to the spread sheet and I cannot find mush about them except they had a small run of 3315.

Many thanks

Wilky

Brilliant uncirculated 1988 five pound sovereign. Accompanied by it’s original box and certificate of authentication by Royal Mint.

wightphotography-1.jpg

wightphotography-2.jpg

1 hour ago, wilky1 said:

Hi, I have had one of these for a few years now and I am wondering what its worth ( I was given it as payment for a debt ) It looks to be in a good condition with its box and COA.

So can someone give me an idea of value as it needs adding to the spread sheet and I cannot find mush about them except they had a small run of 3315.

Many thanks

Wilky

Brilliant uncirculated 1988 five pound sovereign. Accompanied by it’s original box and certificate of authentication by Royal Mint.

If you want to find "mush" about them, you might have come to the right place!

😎

Chards

10 hours ago, wilky1 said:

Many thanks

Wilky

wightphotography-1.jpg

wightphotography-2.jpg

What’s that little circle thingey at the bottom left of the reverse? It looks like a privy mark. 

47 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

What’s that little circle thingey at the bottom left of the reverse? It looks like a privy mark. 

"U" For Uncirculated

From the 1984 issue, the Mint started to place a letter "U" to the left of the date to denote Uncirculated versions of the five pound gold coin.

https://www.chards.co.uk/1987-gold-5-pound-bullion-coin/11719

Although this is a 1987 rather than a 1988.

And it needs better photos!

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

It's a U......one thing I personally don't like.  The Royal Mint took the decision to stamp these with a U to identify them as an uncirculated, suppose they did not want anyone try to pass off as a proof........thats why modern £5 BU sovereigns are matte, easily identifiable from a proof.

They even did this to the 1989's..........who ever took the decision to do this should have a U tattooed on to their forehead.

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 07.22.50.png

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 07.22.15.png

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 07.32.21.png

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

49 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

It's a U......one thing I personally don't like.  The Royal Mint took the decision to stamp these with a U to identify them as an uncirculated, suppose they did not want anyone try to pass off as a proof........thats why modern £5 BU sovereigns are matte, easily identifiable from a proof.

They even did this to the 1989's..........who ever took the decision to do this should have a U tattooed on to their forehead.

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 07.22.50.png

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 07.22.15.png

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 07.32.21.png

I beat you to it, also:

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/1988fivepounds.php

😎

Chards

6 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I beat you to it, also:

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/1988fivepounds.php

😎

Thanks for the link  it's great to see the issue price of £525?      I'd like to see a coin book published with the original RRP for RM proof sovereigns and modern commemorative coins.  One you could do Lawrence with all the data you have built up over the years.  

9 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Thanks for the link  it's great to see the issue price of £525?      I'd like to see a coin book published with the original RRP for RM proof sovereigns and modern commemorative coins.  One you could do Lawrence with all the data you have built up over the years.  

Thanks,

I used to try to keep records of them, but had too much data missing.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Thanks @LawrenceChardand @GoldDiggerDave.

I never noticed the U on the 1989, but since it doesn’t seem out of place, I suppose I just assumed it was part of the design. It definitely sticks out (rather ugly too!) alongside the St. George and Dragon design.

I guess you were not aware that Benedetto Pistrucci invented the "U" turn!

😎

Chards

Thanks for sharing this @Booky586.

I have been attempting to collect these RM bulletins (partly because I am a Hobbit at heart and partly because I would like to be able to provide this sort of information (re issue prices) on these forums) but it’s proven difficult to find older issues.

Good on you for being more successful than me. 🙂

3 hours ago, Booky586 said:

The Royal Mint Coin Club Bulletins are a good reference for historical data, including all the issue prices plus the sales info. Unfortunately I'm missing the issue that includes the 1988 BU five pound sovereign though! If anyone wants any scans or photos from any particular issue I'm happy to send on, I've got most issues from 1984 to 2000 and in the process of trying to build a full set.

image.thumb.jpeg.ac412c8028e06ea4f939f066da7f6c00.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e042feea8567084c98d2b35cee67f40b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1e2f109fdb4d338f3234ce50c7036949.jpeg

After some consideration I will take as many of the proof 1989 sovereigns you have at £149.50 and every single 1989 proof 4 coin set at £1150.00 🤣  

4 hours ago, Booky586 said:

The Royal Mint Coin Club Bulletins are a good reference for historical data, including all the issue prices plus the sales info. Unfortunately I'm missing the issue that includes the 1988 BU five pound sovereign though! If anyone wants any scans or photos from any particular issue I'm happy to send on, I've got most issues from 1984 to 2000 and in the process of trying to build a full set.

I know, and used to try to receive them, but as I did not buy as a retail customer, I alwayg got unsubscribed after a month or so.

An RM trade manager did try to help once, but I / we still have more missing issues than non-missing.

The next problem is finding which issue you need.

Many things were not included in the Bulletins.

😎

Chards

15 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

After some consideration I will take as many of the proof 1989 sovereigns you have at £149.50 and every single 1989 proof 4 coin set at £1150.00 🤣  

Yes, you could have filled your boots during this time of gold stability! Gold was about $325/£200oz - Bullion Sovs were about £50 and shields about £70. Nine years later a proof sovereign was still £149 which was my very first sovereign. However the 1989  got off to a slow start apparently, but was able to buy a 1989 4 coin set on the secondary market in 1997 for £850, which was the going price but £300 cheaper!  This could have been a reflection on the RMs very high RRP (Nothing new there) of £1150. Of course with hindsight we would have all liked to have bought loads more at the time!......