• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

UK Royal Mint Packaging - Any benefit to keeping it unopened?

SilverCalum

Hi guys,

I have a fair number of 1oz silver coins from the UK Royal Mint which were delivered in their standard packaging. They remain unopened.

As per the title, is there any benefit to keeping them in the sealed cardboard box? Does this add to the resale-ability or value? If I were to sell them, which I'm considering, would the purchaser appreciate the original packaging?

Right now they are taking up a fair amount of space and I'd like to reduce the storage size (or sell them).

Thanks

44 minutes ago, SilverCalum said:

Hi guys,

I have a fair number of 1oz silver coins from the UK Royal Mint which were delivered in their standard packaging. They remain unopened.

As per the title, is there any benefit to keeping them in the sealed cardboard box? Does this add to the resale-ability or value? If I were to sell them, which I'm considering, would the purchaser appreciate the original packaging?

Right now they are taking up a fair amount of space and I'd like to reduce the storage size (or sell them).

Thanks

i'm assuming these are proofs?

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 hour ago, SilverCalum said:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm going to get rid of the packaging.

I might put them up for sale next month.

Zero added benefit to keeping in cardboard packaging. 

Infact I'd open as soon as possible, they could be milked to death.

You wouldn't be even able to list for sale, as all you would be showing is cardboard with bar codes.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, SilverCalum said:

The results thus far of opening a stack of 2020 1oz silver Britannia's...

1 x absolutely awful, covered in milk spots and stain. See photo.

3x 2019 1oz silver Britannia's!!!

20230117_215852.jpg

Can I change my answer to keep in the cardboard 😆 

It's unfortunate but I had a feeling 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2 minutes ago, SilverCalum said:

The results thus far of opening a stack

But at least this way you can accurately list them, would be worse you not to know list as perfect condition, then have an unhappy buyer and have to deal with that.

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

keep in the cardboard

The power of hindsight 😅

3 minutes ago, ShineyMagpie said:

But at least this way you can accurately list them, would be worse you not to know list as perfect condition, then have an unhappy buyer and have to deal with that.

The power of hindsight 😅

All part of the adventure.

I'm quite enjoying the process of opening. There might be a 1oz gold coin in there! Ya never know!

I have sometimes seen proof sovereigns in auctions "unopened in the packaging" and they usually go for good prices.  I have to resist the temptation to ask the auction house to open the package and show us the coin because I assume some people like to collect these things but really how do you know there is anything in the box?.

I had the same dilemma when my first order of silver brits arrived but I decided it was better to open them and bin all the packaging, for no other reason than wanting to actually see them.

I've seen a few advertised for sale in their original packaging and unopened but I don't think I would feel confident about buying in that scenario.

So far I've been lucky with the milk spotting thing and have had no issues at all with it on any of my silver coins.

2 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I have sometimes seen proof sovereigns in auctions "unopened in the packaging" and they usually go for good prices.  I have to resist the temptation to ask the auction house to open the package and show us the coin because I assume some people like to collect these things but really how do you know there is anything in the box?.

Yeah, I presume you can't test the metal through the packaging other than some sort of x-ray or weight.

4 minutes ago, SilverCalum said:

Yeah, I presume you can't test the metal through the packaging other than some sort of x-ray or weight.

Well I know some XRF machines will "see" through capsules or slabs but I don't know if they go through a wooden box.  Maybe a subject for someones youtube video in the future? @BackyardBullion

Edited by Seasider

1 minute ago, flyingveepixie said:

I had the same dilemma when my first order of silver brits arrived but I decided it was better to open them and bin all the packaging, for no other reason than wanting to actually see them.

I've seen a few advertised for sale in their original packaging and unopened but I don't think I would feel confident about buying in that scenario.

So far I've been lucky with the milk spotting thing and have had no issues at all with it on any of my silver coins.

I didn't open them on arrival because I was about to move their location. I wanted to keep them in the packaging just in case the move "went with a bump" and figured the packaging would save the odd dent. Then I forgot about them and left them at the back of the safe.

Well, that took a while! Well and truly filled the recycling bin with packaging.

I am utterly delighted to report only 1 coin (as above) with milk spots. I must confess I was fearful at the start as that bad coin was the sixth opened.