• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Full sovereign vs half sovereign

gav999

Hi all i am new to coin collecting but was thinking of collecting gold sovereigns but my question is which is best to collect either full sovereigns or half sovereigns.

I know there will be people who collect both but was looking from a long term point of view regarding price and re sale value and ease of selling.

Hope you can help thanks all

3 minutes ago, gav999 said:

Hi all i am new to coin collecting but was thinking of collecting gold sovereigns but my question is which is best to collect either full sovereigns or half sovereigns.

I know there will be people who collect both but was looking from a long term point of view regarding price and re sale value and ease of selling.

Hope you can help thanks all

This may not be a direct answer to your question, but worth reading:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

😎

Chards

No real advantage or disadvantage of one over the other, for me anyway

Its easier to afford a half sovereign but the premiums are very slightly higher, but that will be reflected when you sell as long as you don't sell to a dealer.  Both are very liquid.

I suppose your budget would also affect the answer potentially. If sayfor example it was 1 half Sov a month or 1 Sov every 2 months, then the half a month gives you better potential for spread of cost (both up and down). As others have said both good coins, both easy to sell sov probably has slightly lower premiums than a half, but as long as your no rush to sell the coin then you should re-coop the premiums when that time comes.

I am a new to it too (bought my first sov this week). As a fellow newbie I decided to go for full sovs rather than half sovs just because it works out better value with the premiums. 

Depending where you are buying from, 2 halfs could cost quite a bit more than 1 full so better to wait until you can get 1 full imo. 

As for ease of future selling... It seems like sovs are very liquid. 

Personally I like both half and full sovereign coins. They are both liquid coins, yes the half has a slight premium over the full, but normally this is representative in the re-sale price also. So unless your selling to a dealer there is huge disadvantage from my point if view.

5 hours ago, Smiler999 said:

I might be in the minority but I just got 6 half's this month and they're nice little coins

You probably have better eyesight than the most of us ! 😉 

With these size coins, some of us would have to take close up photos and magnify it on screen to appreciate it. 

2 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

With these size coins, some of us would have to take close up photos and magnify it on screen to appreciate it. 

Funny you should say that I can't read the dates without 3x magnification on the phone camera 😃

I just meant they're nice little coins to hold when 5 is over half an ounce lol

On 14/01/2023 at 04:46, Happypanda88 said:

That awkward moment when someone asks the date.....

How the feck would I know.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Myself, I'm not bothered. I buy halves and full sovereigns. I have found that there are more full Sovereigns to be had. However that might just my experience. I suppose if pushed I would lean towards the full, but I think that's only because I have more full than half's. I would get what the budget allows. If its full this month but only half next, that's fine. 

I prefer to own full sovereigns myself.  And buy quarter sov's for the affordable price and ease of selling on if needed in future.  (Most people looking on ebay have a budget of, say £100, rather than looking at the premium above spot price.) 

To me, the half isn't as 'authentic' as the full, and not as affordable as a quarter, so I don't really have any interest in buying them.  Each to their own though, of course!

I do also have a 1/8th sov which is laughably small...  Was a decent offer price new, but don't think I'll buy any more!