• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Storage

Mista

Hello everyone,

First time here, just joined now. Have been watching your lot for a while, and you all seem like a nice bunch.

I have a question regarding silver... I love silver, always have (I also collect coins). Not a stacker as such, my coin stack is really not worth a lot, but i love touching my silver coins, there is something about silver, ain't there?

I currently own mostly canadian dollars, and pre 47 florins and half crowns. I think i prefer .800 canadians. Most of my coins are in fairly good condition. I aim for spot on these when buying, it's hard work, and soooo time consuming but i'm hoping to get premium membership and see if i can get good value here. When I buy on fleebay, postage is the killer!

Anyway, I have some coins in makeship paper rolls, in self adhesive flips, and some in saflip (not sure i like saflips TBH, and they're expensive in the uk).
I tend to lean towards self adhesive flips. Reason is in case there is a bad coin, and i put them in a roll/tube, it could contaminate the other coins. This works out about 10p per coin. What's your thougths?

Cheers.

To be honest I take a coin to Tesco's with me and marry up to the spice/barroca tubes. If I see a perfect fit then that's what the family is eating for the month. I would be interested in what a self adhesive flip is though. 

I too am a eBay trawler for a bargain. So we are probably bidding against eachother, I am finding the saleroom the best at the moment. I can look on line whats on offer before I turn up and bid. You have to take in account the auctioneer fees tho. 

5 hours ago, Mista said:

Hello everyone,

First time here, just joined now. Have been watching your lot for a while, and you all seem like a nice bunch.

I have a question regarding silver... I love silver, always have (I also collect coins). Not a stacker as such, my coin stack is really not worth a lot, but i love touching my silver coins, there is something about silver, ain't there?

I currently own mostly canadian dollars, and pre 47 florins and half crowns. I think i prefer .800 canadians. Most of my coins are in fairly good condition. I aim for spot on these when buying, it's hard work, and soooo time consuming but i'm hoping to get premium membership and see if i can get good value here. When I buy on fleebay, postage is the killer!

Anyway, I have some coins in makeship paper rolls, in self adhesive flips, and some in saflip (not sure i like saflips TBH, and they're expensive in the uk).
I tend to lean towards self adhesive flips. Reason is in case there is a bad coin, and i put them in a roll/tube, it could contaminate the other coins. This works out about 10p per coin. What's your thougths?

Cheers.

Do you mean you don't get "free postage" on ebay?

I don't think coins can catch anything nasty just be being near each other!

😎

Chards

37 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

.... I would be interested in what a self adhesive flip is though. 

<snip>...

I use Lighthouse (or Leuchtturm) 2x2" self-adhesive flips for my 50p Album - It's a Matrix one. I also picked up some black ones to use for fractional Gold as they fitted the album sleeves (they come in a range of coins sizes too). Coins do look nice in the flips I have to say, and they're sealed as well.

image.thumb.png.e3d3dcf2de520c068417a409acdfa122.png

But I now I have a safe deposit box, I have them in all sorts of holders, flips & capsules! Doesn't really matter when they're stashed away... 🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Gordy said:

Buying on here commands postage costs too..... 

welcome... BTW

Indeed ask @LawrenceChard.... :P

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Thanks for the response everyone.

Cheers.

On 03/11/2022 at 18:31, LawrenceChard said:

I don't think coins can catch anything nasty just be being near each other!

😎

Verdigris comes to mind for instance - Coin could have been cleaned, but inside could still be contaminated  - and verdigris can spread like cancer to other coins they're in contact with directly

On 03/11/2022 at 20:14, Gordy said:

Buying on here commands postage costs too.....

Bulk buying is almost always going to be more cost effective - Bulk buying on ebay will only get me bent, worn, holed coins...

On 03/11/2022 at 17:50, Bigmarc said:

To be honest I take a coin to Tesco's with me and marry up to the spice/barroca tubes. If I see a perfect fit then that's what the family is eating for the month. I would be interested in what a self adhesive flip is though. 

I too am a eBay trawler for a bargain. So we are probably bidding against eachother, I am finding the saleroom the best at the moment. I can look on line whats on offer before I turn up and bid. You have to take in account the auctioneer fees tho. 

I have considered the auctions on the saleroom and easyauctions - most of the buy prices still look a bit on the high side when you take into account the commission.  What's your experience of it like? 

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

4 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

I have considered the auctions on the saleroom and easyauctions - most of the buy prices still look a bit on the high side when you take into account the commission.  What's your experience of it like? 

Yes all takes up a lot of time. I really like auctions and have been going for years so don't just buy coins. To be honest I probably win on about 10% on what I bid on and it is quite mind numbing to work out fees. 

7 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Yes all takes up a lot of time. I really like auctions and have been going for years so don't just buy coins. To be honest I probably win on about 10% on what I bid on and it is quite mind numbing to work out fees. 

The impression I got of the auctions on those sites was to bid on stuff at a reasonable price (including commissions) and assume you're going to lose most of the time.  Trouble about multiple bids is that there's a possibility nobody else is bidding on the auction and you might win the whole lot - ergo, you might find yourself having to come up with £5 or 10k at short notice.  Not a bad problem to have, but one you need to be prepared for.  Fortunately one can buy from these auctions on a credit card so I guess you could flip the excess and pay back the card if it did happen.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

3 hours ago, Zeuk said:

The plastic ammo boxes on ebay i find are good for the heavier fondle pieces.

I found that the 3l Really Useful Boxes fit 12 46mm coin tubes nicely.  As for silver bars, they're not really a standard size, but I suppose there's a Really Useful Box the right size for most silver bars.

23 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

The impression I got of the auctions on those sites was to bid on stuff at a reasonable price (including commissions) and assume you're going to lose most of the time.  Trouble about multiple bids is that there's a possibility nobody else is bidding on the auction and you might win the whole lot - ergo, you might find yourself having to come up with £5 or 10k at short notice.  Not a bad problem to have, but one you need to be prepared for.  Fortunately one can buy from these auctions on a credit card so I guess you could flip the excess and pay back the card if it did happen.

I don’t like leaving bids with the online auction sites, however, I have had success with them , plus some surprises. I left bids on two proof sovereigns, not really expecting any success, however… I got got both! Not that long ago, however, looking at the prices now for the same things (even on here) I have actually done ok🫢 Yes I have ‘flipped’ one!😮

11 minutes ago, Petra said:

Neither, why?🤔

You're posting emoji that my font here doesn't have a glyph for.  @ArgentSmith asked about a probable missing glyph in question just before.  Just wondering why and thought maybe you had a font on an iPhone or something that wasn't present on my computer.

17 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

You're posting emoji that my font here doesn't have a glyph for.  @ArgentSmith asked about a probable missing glyph in question just before.  Just wondering why and thought maybe you had a font on an iPhone or something that wasn't present on my computer.

i pad 🫢

I thought it might be Apple - they're often quick off the mark to add emoji to their screen fonts and the Unicode folks often add emoji to the spec every year.

8 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

I thought it might be Apple - they're often quick off the mark to add emoji to their screen fonts and the Unicode folks often add emoji to the spec every year.

🤔 forget that, anything for sale? 🤔🫢🫣