• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Cheapest ways to stop silver toning?

I guess this has been asked a lot but search throws up all sorts .

I have a few Queens beast that have started to tone on the sides. 
one of them was there the capsules is broken so thats my problem. 

Obviously air-tight capsules are the way forward but are quite expensive for the 10oz.
I was wondering if anyone had a range of other cheap or free ideas? 

What about shrink wrap, like on the silver bars?
At the moment I have put them in freezer bags - no idea how efficient that would be. 
Plus also keeping moisture under control with an air moistures thing. 

Obviously it needs to be congruent with being put in a small safe. 
How effective would a fire, water and airtight safe be with this regard??
Or small airtight freezer boxes?

Edited by Stacktastic

41 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

Cheapest ways to stop silver toning?

I guess this has been asked a lot but search throws up all sorts .

I have a few Queens beast that have started to tone on the sides. 
one of them was there the capsules is broken so thats my problem. 

Obviously air-tight capsules are the way forward but are quite expensive for the 10oz.
I was wondering if anyone had a range of other cheap or free ideas? 

What about shrink wrap, like on the silver bars?
At the moment I have put them in freezer bags - no idea how efficient that would be. 
Plus also keeping moisture under control with an air moistures thing. 

Obviously it needs to be congruent with being put in a small safe. 
How effective would a fire, water and airtight safe be with this regard??
Or small airtight freezer boxes?

Cheapest ways to stop silver toning is to buy gold instead!

😎

Chards

Toning is caused by pollution especially smoke and industry, vehicles on nearby busy roads etc.
If you live in a clean air area, don't smoke and don't have an open fire then toning should not happen.
Keeping your silver in decent capsules will help but some have black rings inside and I found that these cause toning.
You can buy anti-tarnish strips to add to say a box of silver but I've never used so don't know how effective they are.
If toning is happening in a year or two then I would be more concerned about the air you are breathing.😄

Alternatively learn to love the myriad of colours that toned silver produces.

Personally i like the fact that silver tones and adds character to a coin. I realise however that my taste is not the same as others. To this end i keep a jar of Goddards silver dip on hand. A quick one second dip (and rinse off with distilled water) removes all toning and leaves a coin in a shiny enough condition for me to sell on at a premium to those who like coins to be blindingly white and hard to look at.....

I have coins that are 30 years old and look freshly minted and i have coins that are 10 years old and look brown.  Both kept in the same conditions (in original capsule, original packaging etc). 

Seeing as environmental factors will cause toning on silver, the best advice would be to ensure that no pollutants come into contact with the coin - this means an actual air-tight, non-reactive capsule.

If you want the naughtyboy step answer feel free to pose this question on there and I will gladly answer it. but to give you a clue wrapping it in plastic and storage where the sun doesnt shine :ph34r:

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

Cheapest ways to stop silver toning is to buy gold instead!

😎

waiting for that. 

13 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

paper silver doesn't tone or milkspot either 

It does burn though - especially if when the derivatives market crashes. 😛 

Would adding electrical tape to the capsules edges help? 
Interesting about the pollution stuff. 

Edited by Stacktastic

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Toning is caused by pollution especially smoke and industry, vehicles on nearby busy roads etc.
If you live in a clean air area, don't smoke and don't have an open fire then toning should not happen.
Keeping your silver in decent capsules will help but some have black rings inside and I found that these cause toning.
You can buy anti-tarnish strips to add to say a box of silver but I've never used so don't know how effective they are.
If toning is happening in a year or two then I would be more concerned about the air you are breathing.😄

That last point is an excellent one.

Silver coins toning is nowhere near as important in the great scheme of things.

😎

Chards

46 minutes ago, SidS said:

My gold's toning though... 😁

If it's 22ct, it will tone beautifully over about 100 years, although I am not sure about the recent red gold stuff, which is almost certainly more susceptible.

999 and better should be unaffected, although red spot is possible. Even then, it is better on your gold than on your person!

😎

Chards