• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What's your latest stacking goal?

I`v fairly recently started stacking again from scratch because I sold off all of my original stack years ago, I can`t complain because it bought me a music studio that I still have.

I`m only up to 17 Oz at the moment as i`m doing one coin every couple of weeks or so, my immediate goal is to try get enough for a full tube (25x) before they run out or the price gets out of range for me.

Lovely to see you all again! :)

27 minutes ago, artalien said:

Well come to think of it, more American than British coz it seems to be a bit less pricy.

US junk silver is cheaper and more often than not in better condition, having being struck much more recently. 1964s are very plentiful.

Next goal i think will be to start working through the gold TBs and gold Britts, missed the boat on the QBs and not sure I want to try and go back over them other than for the 2oz silvers.  It'll be a slower pace of dopamine hit so i'll top up with a few small silver purchases along the way.

48 minutes ago, Zeuk said:

gold TBs

I had to check google to see if my guess of Tudor might fit. It's great to see the stack grow. 10% of the portfolio is the figure I hear over and over. I will need to calm down but like you a small purchase will ease my distress. Now I need a tube for thrupence coins if such exists 😃

Maybe I should stop advertising to myself:

588354443_Screenshot_20221010-093203_OneUIHome.thumb.jpg.fb59c8c9851a519bfbe080abbf7aab43.jpg

Edited by artalien

10 minutes ago, artalien said:

I had to check google to see if my guess of Tudor might fit. It's great to see the stack grow. 10% of the portfolio is the figure I hear over and over. I will need to calm down but like you a small purchase will ease my distress. Now I need a tube for thrupence coins if such exists 😃

Sign of the times that 10% now seems conservative, my SIPP continues to get hit daily, where as the purchase of random high fiddle value bars are fine.  Still quite happy with the majority of the things in it, just the way the market and the pound is atm, luckily in my 40s so plenty of time ahead before its needed and arguably a good time to cost average on some things. 

And yep gold Tudors not tuberculosis :) only looking at bullion but nice to have some variety that remains cgt free.

2 hours ago, artalien said:

If prior to that tragic total loss to metal detectorists people want to share photos of completed goals here I'd love to see such.

Check out the photo only topics section of the forum

www.fyldecoins.co.uk

23 hours ago, Zeuk said:

Next goal i think will be to start working through the gold TBs and gold Britts, missed the boat on the QBs and not sure I want to try and go back over them other than for the 2oz silvers.  It'll be a slower pace of dopamine hit so i'll top up with a few small silver purchases along the way.

I did give some consideration to collecting a set of 1/4oz gold TB's, but for a collection like this I think you would get the same volatility out of maybe half the investment in silver.  Buy 3 or 4 sets and then flip them about the time the range is winding up and people are looking to finish off their collections.

Just my opinion. I am not a financial adviser, nor do I play one on TV.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

7 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

I did give some consideration to collecting a set of 1/4oz gold TB's, but for a collection like this I think you would get the same volatility out of maybe half the investment in silver.  Buy 3 or 4 sets and then flip them about the time the range is winding up and people are looking to finish off their collections.

Appreciate the perspective 👍

I've got another 4oz of gold to go to hit my next objective of 12oz. That'll give me a year off of my retirement age. The silver stack I haven't decided quite what that's for at the moment. There are some other non PM targets I want to hit after I get the gold stack where I want before doing any serious further adding to my stack. And I'm still working on the Godson's little stack project.

29 minutes ago, GBStacking said:

That'll give me a year off of my retirement age.

Rock on, a year out of bondage.

30 minutes ago, GBStacking said:

And I'm still working on the Godson's little stack project.

What's that mate?

On 10/10/2022 at 09:33, Zeuk said:

Sign of the times that 10% now seems conservative, my SIPP continues to get hit daily, where as the purchase of random high fiddle value bars are fine.  Still quite happy with the majority of the things in it, just the way the market and the pound is atm, luckily in my 40s so plenty of time ahead before its needed and arguably a good time to cost average on some things. 

I had seen something to the effect that SIPPs won't let you hold physical gold through the SIPP; you can only hold allocated investments through a third party.  I'm looking into getting something similar called a SSAS, which can be run through a company.  Are you stacking through the SIPP?

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

31 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

I had seen something to the effect that SIPPs won't let you hold physical gold through the SIPP; you can only hold allocated investments through a third party.  I'm looking into getting something similar called a SSAS, which can be run through a company.  Are you stacking through the SIPP?

My SIPP is fully into stocks, i have looked into gold through it but its either derivative or someone else holding so not really for me.  Unless i go back to contracting its had all the deposits its going to get for the foreseeable. 

1 hour ago, artalien said:

Rock on, a year out of bondage.

What's that mate?

The project for my Godson's is to get their stack building while they are still very little. They both have silver Britannia's for the years they were born. The youngest is too young yet, but the older one is aware it exists and refers to it as his treasure. So for Xmas I have made them some treasure chests of their own (I'll admit the boxes were pre bought as unfinished shells, I did the staining, lining and got the engraved name plates) and popped a generic Brit in it (one they can put their sticky fingers on!) :) The plan is to add to the stack over the years and teach them the value of things as we go. Should be a nice little nest egg for them once they are old enough to have control of their own finances.

20220904_094303.jpg

20220905_141822.jpg

1 minute ago, GBStacking said:

but the older one is aware it exists and refers to it as his treasure

Thanks for that reply GBStacking, don't need to adopt an adult do you - Lovely chests as well. We were pretty poor as a family when I was a kid a fact that brought this home to me recently was that there was no pre-47 coinage stashed in my parents home. I assume they were unable to set any aside.

Excellent plan you have there to get the kids into PMs.

5 minutes ago, GBStacking said:

The project for my Godson's is to get their stack building while they are still very little. They both have silver Britannia's for the years they were born. The youngest is too young yet, but the older one is aware it exists and refers to it as his treasure. So for Xmas I have made them some treasure chests of their own (I'll admit the boxes were pre bought as unfinished shells, I did the staining, lining and got the engraved name plates) and popped a generic Brit in it (one they can put their sticky fingers on!) :) The plan is to add to the stack over the years and teach them the value of things as we go. Should be a nice little nest egg for them once they are old enough to have control of their own finances.

20220904_094303.jpg

20220905_141822.jpg

I am thinking of doing something similar for my own munchkins so they have a break glass fund by the time they're 18 or 21.

2 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

I am thinking of doing something similar for my own munchkins so they have a break glass fund by the time they're 18 or 21.

Pretty much what im doing, although they can have it when they're in their 30s so it doesnt get spent on a gap year in Thailand

5 minutes ago, artalien said:

Thanks for that reply GBStacking, don't need to adopt an adult do you - Lovely chests as well. We were pretty poor as a family when I was a kid a fact that brought this home to me recently was that there was no pre-47 coinage stashed in my parents home. I assume they were unable to set any aside.

Excellent plan you have there to get the kids into PMs.

😂 I'm afraid the 2 little monsters keep my adoption quota quite full at the moment!

I'm hoping it will be a good way to keep their interest as they are all pretty and shiny until they are old enough to have more complex lessons in finance.

I'm not from a wealthy background myself, I wouldn't say we were ever truly poor, but I absolutely remember having to make compromises to have something as having both wasn't an option. And good old caravan park holidays as they were done very much on a budget. But my parents have a strong work ethic and a sensible approach to saving, that's stayed with me and I am hoping to pass that along. Don't have kids of my own and that's unlikely to change, so the Godsons are probably going to get the lions share when I go and I'd like some valuable life lessons to go with the valuable PM's.