• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What's your latest stacking goal?

22 minutes ago, Iacabu said:

Wanted a single pocket piece, ended up with an extra 7oz of crowns and half crowns.

hehe - love it mate - happy stacking. I bought a tube for sovereigns but can only afford to fill it with silver. Shillings fit as does 1/4 dollars.

Edited by artalien

54 minutes ago, artalien said:

Boom! Job done, even cashed in my piggy bank to make it early 😁 Total weight including tube 658 grams.20221004_113047.thumb.jpg.c6fd7d5b25e34f8695ca4d9b913a32c8.jpg20221004_113356.thumb.jpg.fb6ed2036f0b7a99495caa14caba6ef8.jpg

Love it! I really like Franklin halves for some reason - much more so than the Walkers. Although, I like those too.

US junk silver is cool.

30 minutes ago, Zeuk said:

Sovereigns always seem like the sensible option, but then you're browsing and that cool bar gets shared

I think the good and bad thing with sovereigns is they're boring.  With silver you can buy 10 coins or a tube or a bar for a sum of money accessible to most people and feel you've achieved something.  Getting enough gold together to make it look like you're doing something concrete is a much bigger hurdle.  My entire silver stack wouldn't buy even half a tube of sovs.  Not so much dopamine reward.

Nonetheless, I'm pivoting away from silver to a mix of sovs, occasional 1oz bullion and maybe other stuff if it comes up at the right price, plus a small sideline in collectibles.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

1 minute ago, Silverlocks said:

I think the good and bad thing with sovereigns is they're boring.  With silver you can buy 10 coins or a tube or a bar for a sum of money accessible to most people and feel you've achieved something.  Getting enough gold together to make it look like you're doing something concrete is a much bigger hurdle.  My entire silver stack wouldn't buy even half a tube of sovs.  Not so much dopamine reward.

I think this is exactly where I'm at!

I also think silver looks nicer than gold too. I've nothing against gold at all, I used to stack that too back in the day.

But silver being cheaper allows you to build a more interesting collection.

I've always found sovereigns a little on the boring side - especially the St. George. I started like many of you no doubt with a goal to have so many sovereigns by a certain date. When it came to it though I'd bought guineas, half guineas, US pre-33 gold or silver coins instead.

I did (and still do) have a soft spot for Vicky Shield sovereigns though, I always loved those.

6 minutes ago, SidS said:

But silver being cheaper allows you to build a more interesting collection.

Great point! Shield backs are very cool. I'd love a young Victoria sovereign at some point.

Edited by artalien

15 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

Guessing it depends on year, condition etc - but I'm sure someone way more knowledgeable than me on Shield Sovs will confirm... @Orpster maybe? 🤔

£425 is a good price for a young head shield in decent condition yes, you can get them cheaper but expect little to no definition left on the hair or on the shield details for anything under £400.  They are getting harder and harder to source though.  Lots of things impact the value, mainly condition but also type (IA, IB, IC, ID for Young Heads), mint, rarity and also variants and minting errors.  If anyone has one its a very good idea to check it before selling on, looking for overdates, letters used as numbers and visa versa (for example a 1 in place of an I in Victoria, or an inverted A used as a V)

On 04/10/2022 at 12:07, Iacabu said:

I keep accumulating silver that I never planned to buy. 

Thought I was putting a low offer on a 250g PAMP auction with room to sell on, ended up winning and keeping it because it's such a cool bar. 

Bought a few Brits for a competition, they weren't won so ended up keeping those. 

Wanted a single pocket piece, ended up with an extra 7oz of crowns and half crowns. Thinking about selling on (as originally intended) but I also like the idea of it being the start of a treasure chest. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be building the stack, but this is all after I decided I want to focus more on gold. 

So from now, I'm aiming for more sovereigns. 

I can add a 2023 silver brit to that list 🤦

www.fyldecoins.co.uk