• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Britannia premium

With all the talk about 2022 sovereigns gaining a premium in the future, do you guys and girls think 2022 Brits will gain any sort of premium too? I would love to know your thoughts. 

2 hours ago, Apmex100 said:

With all the talk about 2022 sovereigns gaining a premium in the future, do you guys and girls think 2022 Brits will gain any sort of premium too? I would love to know your thoughts. 

Maybe a platinum Britannia might but not a huge premium.

4 hours ago, Apmex100 said:

2022 Britannia premium

No!

... or at least nothing of great significance, if you are talking about the bullion versions, which you did not specify.

Proof sovereigns, yes, like most special one-off years, although there is an increasing number of them.

😎

Chards

16 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

No!

... or at least nothing of great significance, if you are talking about the bullion versions, which you did not specify.

Proof sovereigns, yes, like most special one-off years, although there is an increasing number of them.

😎

Mistake on my part

Edited by James32

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

10 minutes ago, James32 said:

He was actually referring to silver🥳 but I appreciate the advice on bullion gold and application for a refund will arrive in Blackpool at 8am😁

Thanks.

As you might have noticed, my thoughts default to gold, but also:

It was posted in 

.. and @Apmex100 mentioned sovereigns, all of which would tend to suggest he was thinking about gold.

A lot of TSF topics get started without the OP specifying whether they are talking about gold, silver, platinum, or something else. Unless readers than look at which category it was posted in, it is easy to be at cross purposes.

Partly for this reason, I now often restate the topic title as the first line of the first post.

I also sometimes add it to the "quote" before responding.

😎

Chards

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Thanks.

As you might have noticed, my thoughts default to gold, but also:

It was posted in 

.. and @Apmex100 mentioned sovereigns, all of which would tend to suggest he was thinking about gold.

A lot of TSF topics get started without the OP specifying whether they are talking about gold, silver, platinum, or something else. Unless readers than look at which category it was posted in, it is easy to be at cross purposes.

Partly for this reason, I now often restate the topic title as the first line of the first post.

I also sometimes add it to the "quote" before responding.

😎

I still want a refund on my bullion sovereigns 😆😆😆

The 2022 proof sovereign, SOTD, Piedfort and others in proof will undoubtedly hold their premium for years to come for obvious reasons.

You do ask a good question and make a good point, if we look at the ‘Britannia range’ they were introduced during The Queen’s reign in 1987. Therefore she’s the only monarch, so far to be on the obverse. We still don’t know if the 2023 Britannia coins will have The Queen or King Charles on the obverse. (I think King Charles, but might be wrong).

So for 35 years The Queen has been the only monarch to be on the obverse of the Britannia. Whereas the modern sovereign has had many monarchs on the obverse since 1817.

2022 bullion sovereigns will have been minted, no doubt, in very large quantities, as will all denominations of Britannias. The 2022 bullion sovereign won’t likely be rare. They may now sell for a premium and may still will in 5, 10 or 15 years. Both the sovereign and the Britannia will continue to be minted in bullion and proof form during King Charles reign.

Some coins that have done the best for a return from a financial point of view were the least popular when released. Just look at what happened and what’s been said about the 1989 sovereign.

I suppose that there’s no easy answer to your question but The Queen was the first monarch on the Britannia and she won’t be the last but 2022 may likely be the last.

Might the 2022 gold Britannia attract a premium in the future?

It’s anyones guess but they are minted in large quantities.

Edited by Foster88

16 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

No!

😎

12 hours ago, Foster88 said:

I presumed they were talking about gold Britannias as they posted in the gold section.

Oops 😬 

I stand humbly corrected.