• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Alphabet 10p. How appropriate

pricha

1 minute ago, tallthinkev said:

Got some share, might be able to help you out.

Ah you're alright. I'm trying to find them in the wild, just for my own sense of amusement! It's tough...

I remember the huge fuss made about them when they first came out 2016/7 ish. I've searched through loads of change since then and only found one.

I thought they would have been a little more common.

17 minutes ago, SidS said:

Ah you're alright. I'm trying to find them in the wild, just for my own sense of amusement! It's tough...

I remember the huge fuss made about them when they first came out 2016/7 ish. I've searched through loads of change since then and only found one.

I thought they would have been a little more common.

I bought all the (then) kiddies the Collector albums from the Royal Mint (and very nice they were too) hoping to get them into collecting coins.

The 'only' problem is all the (very limited) coins seem to have gone through Post Offices where they were 'intercepted' by the staff...

4 or whatever years later and I think we've collectively found only one or maybe (max) two in our change :( 

Are the Olympic 50p coins still findable in change?  I haven't really handled coins very much in the last few years, even before the pandemic.

At least there are probably still a fair few commemorative 50p and £2 coins to look for with the kiddies.

5 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Are the Olympic 50p coins still findable in change?  I haven't really handled coins very much in the last few years, even before the pandemic.

At least there are probably still a fair few commemorative 50p and £2 coins to look for with the kiddies.

Not really, I always check and even a 'common' coin is getting hard to find because people keep them all. 'Cointubers' like Christopher Collects are most at fault imo, he makes no apologies for having hundreds of most of them (except the obvious Kews etc, but he has a few of those). Being able to get sealed bags in bulk is a huge advantage most of us don't have. Even then the 10ps are as rare as hen's teeth.

Tenbob is a notable exception that I've seen, she always puts 'common' ones back in, and all her Jeremy Fishers go to charity.

14 hours ago, kimchi said:

Not really, I always check and even a 'common' coin is getting hard to find because people keep them all. 'Cointubers' like Christopher Collects are most at fault imo, he makes no apologies for having hundreds of most of them (except the obvious Kews etc, but he has a few of those). Being able to get sealed bags in bulk is a huge advantage most of us don't have. Even then the 10ps are as rare as hen's teeth.

Tenbob is a notable exception that I've seen, she always puts 'common' ones back in, and all her Jeremy Fishers go to charity.

Crumbs.  I think the last time that I was looking seriously for these coins in change was 2016 and 2017 and although not common, almost all of the £2 coins post 1995 were findable with patience.  I think the only ones I didn't find were the Wales and Northern Ireland 2002 Commonwealth Games coins, and the 2015 Britannia definitive coin.

On the 50ps, I found all 29 Olympic coins from 2012 to 2017 and everything else I wanted to keep apart from a Kew and a Jemima Puddleduck.

Perhaps the RM will release a new series of circulating currency coins at some point which might then be easier to find and keep.  Otherwise it takes the fun out of it for younger collectors.

2 hours ago, Stuntman said:

Crumbs.  I think the last time that I was looking seriously for these coins in change was 2016 and 2017 and although not common, almost all of the £2 coins post 1995 were findable with patience.  I think the only ones I didn't find were the Wales and Northern Ireland 2002 Commonwealth Games coins, and the 2015 Britannia definitive coin.

On the 50ps, I found all 29 Olympic coins from 2012 to 2017 and everything else I wanted to keep apart from a Kew and a Jemima Puddleduck.

Perhaps the RM will release a new series of circulating currency coins at some point which might then be easier to find and keep.  Otherwise it takes the fun out of it for younger collectors.

The cointubers who regularly get sealed or even bank bags seem to find the common ones and even the rarer ones (far less so in bank bags), so maybe it's partly where I live, I'm not sure. But I often use cash and haven't had anything for months. It's definitely got worse around here since I started looking, which was probably around 2018. You did quite regularly get commons back then, but not the 10ps. I've only ever seen one Mary Rose and I had to get that from a family friend who also has a huge collection and keeps all the multiples! 

You really don't see any of the fancy 50p or £2 coins any more. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago they were relatively common, I have a few hundred quid worth with most of the available ones up till then, but I don't even bother now. Everyone is a coin collector now... 

I have actually thought about taking them all to bank/post office and cashing them in. Probably have at least a sovereign worth!

3 hours ago, TheShinyStuff said:

You really don't see any of the fancy 50p or £2 coins any more. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago they were relatively common, I have a few hundred quid worth with most of the available ones up till then, but I don't even bother now. Everyone is a coin collector now...

All very true! I think one or two sensationalist news articles too many got pretty much everyone keeping anything different, just in case they were 'the next Kew Gardens'.

3 hours ago, TheShinyStuff said:

I have actually thought about taking them all to bank/post office and cashing them in. Probably have at least a sovereign worth!

I think now is possibly/probably the best time to sell the ones with a premium. Except...

22 minutes ago, Dan12345 said:

Ive never found one in my change. Did but the whole set when it came out and they have gone up in value as well which is nice 

I think the whole set is very nice and quite special, one to keep for me :)

On 17/09/2022 at 09:27, Stuntman said:

they did release the jubilee 50p, though still not got one in my change, the pride and i think the turing 50ps are also due to be circulating.

I think i have found 3 or 4 10ps.  and of course one of them was a duplicate that i had bought carded on a visit to the RM 🤬

2 minutes ago, bluffer said:

they did release the jubilee 50p, though still not got one in my change, the pride and i think the turing 50ps are also due to be circulating.

I think i have found 3 or 4 10ps.  and of course one of them was a duplicate that i had bought carded on a visit to the RM 🤬

There was never enough minted for circulation, I found about 11 but had to force the issues and go though around £1,500 of bags of 10ps I gave up.