• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Same Coin Different Photos - The Effect of Lighting in Macro Photography

Wow the Grid mode makes those coins really pop.

Just from the perspectives of showcasing a coin in my opinion the Grid option is far better. The softbox images seem flat in comparison whereas the Grid images seem to show depth and detail.

A very interesting topic @LawrenceChard 

Have these images been taken with a digital camera? And is it possible to get the same or similar quality of images using a smartphone?

Mankind’s two greatest enemies are the state and central banks - Jeff Berwick

It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning - Henry Ford

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why - Mark Twain

11 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

@James32 - who missed the joke, now??? :D 

My spidey senses are tingling 🕷

It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning - Henry Ford

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why - Mark Twain

5 minutes ago, James32 said:

That's probably just cramps 😃

Cramps, no there's definitely a tingle lol 😆 

29 minutes ago, jackflash123 said:

Wow the Grid mode makes those coins really pop.

Just from the perspectives of showcasing a coin in my opinion the Grid option is far better. The softbox images seem flat in comparison whereas the Grid images seem to show depth and detail.

A very interesting topic @LawrenceChard 

Have these images been taken with a digital camera? And is it possible to get the same or similar quality of images using a smartphone?

I agree, the Grid ones look fab!

Digital camera - yes Canon 5D.

And is it possible to get the same or similar quality of images using a smartphone? - no!

😎

Chards

They are all excellent photos, but I think grid lighting works better than softbox on that coin, it has greater impact.

Comparing the 2 styles side by side you're getting more detail coming through using grid in areas of low relief (in green bubble), but at the inconvenience of loosing a little detail in the shadows (in red bubble).

image.thumb.jpeg.ba5a174e68b38a8e5a28713490516e3b.jpeg

Is it possible to retain the benefits of grid lighting but include the detail in the shadows of the softbox all in one photo?

15 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I agree, the Grid ones look fab!

Digital camera - yes Canon 5D.

And is it possible to get the same or similar quality of images using a smartphone? - no!

😎

Yes I didn't think a smartphone would be able to produce images like that, but it never harms to ask and be sure.

So I guess a Canon 5D should be on my Amazon wishlist.

Thanks for the info @LawrenceChard 👍 

51 minutes ago, Booky586 said:

They are all excellent photos, but I think grid lighting works better than softbox on that coin, it has greater impact.

Comparing the 2 styles side by side you're getting more detail coming through using grid in areas of low relief (in green bubble), but at the inconvenience of loosing a little detail in the shadows (in red bubble).

image.thumb.jpeg.ba5a174e68b38a8e5a28713490516e3b.jpeg

Is it possible to retain the benefits of grid lighting but include the detail in the shadows of the softbox all in one photo?

The honest answer to that is "I don't know".

I think it possibly is, but I would defer to the expert @SemolinaPilchard, a.k.a. Doug, who might like to contribute to the discussion.

2 minutes ago, jackflash123 said:

Yes I didn't think a smartphone would be able to produce images like that, but it never harms to ask and be sure.

So I guess a Canon 5D should be on my Amazon wishlist.

Thanks for the info @LawrenceChard 👍 

An R5 might be even better!

But I would try to avoid buying it from Amazon, and there is usually a better deal to be had elsewhere.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

The honest answer to that is "I don't know".

I think it possibly is, but I would defer to the expert @SemolinaPilchard, a.k.a. Doug, who might like to contribute to the discussion.

An R5 might be even better!

😎

Excellent I will check them out. I was thinking of getting a Nikon Coolpix P900 for myself for Christmas but I have a couple of different options to consider now.

Again thanks for the info 👍 

1 hour ago, Booky586 said:

Thanks Booky.

I'm training a new recruit in how we take coin photos and she did both methods.

Yes...I prefer barn doors with grid attachment - but sometimes, especially with polished silver, it introduces shadows (or more accurately light fall off) on the edges.  I do persevere with the grid though and usually find a way with it.  The softbox does lose detail sometimes - but sometimes it's the only way with highly polished coins or we'd get too much blowout.

Is it possible to splice you ask - yes of course it is but that's very time consuming and we have so much to do it's not really worth the benefits.   However.....I do have a solution ...I keep my beauty dish at the studio which does sometimes play ball and give a good in between.   From my portrait days in my studio it was my modifier of choice but takes an eternity to master properly....and I've found that it's the same with coins.....if using that most days I'll just revert to one of the other modifiers but just occasionally it works and that's a "oooohhh - thats nice - I'll look forward to editing this one!" moment.

Just in case you're interested I'll link to an article my pal did about the axial lighting setup we use.  It's been linked before and a little out of date (we now have under product lighting also so we can capture the serrations)  I'll bring it up to date when I have time (I know I said this before too :))

https://www.diyphotography.net/use-mirrors-get-perfect-axial-lighting-macro-subjects/

16 hours ago, jackflash123 said:

Well yes and no. (in regard to smartphone)

Our dslr camera is mounted on a copy stand so its perpendicular to the coin - you could do that with some contraption for a smartphone.

I use a shutter release cable on the dslr to minimise camera shake....I dare say that you could use a timer on the phone

The lighting wouldn't affect whatever you are taking the image with.

BUT...with dslr we have choice of lens - which smartphone doesn't. 

I've seen some breathtaking photos (landscapes etc) captured with a smartphone but I really wouldn't find it as easy to use as a purpose built dslr camera

Edited by SemolinaPilchard
additon

On 22/07/2022 at 13:59, jackflash123 said:

Excellent I will check them out. I was thinking of getting a Nikon Coolpix P900 for myself for Christmas but I have a couple of different options to consider now.

Again thanks for the info 👍 

Our first DSLR was a (Nikon compatible) Fuji, but the battery latch failed. We bought a consumer grade Nikon as a spare while it was repaired, only to find the Nikon was not compatible with the Nikon ring flash.

Turned out Canon were the only DSLR maker with a fully compatible macro system at the time.

We binned the Fuji and Nikon, and replaced  everything with Canon kit.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

11 minutes ago, SemolinaPilchard said:

Our dslr camera is mounted on a copy stand so its perpendicular to the coin - you could do that with some contraption for a smartphone.

I use a shutter release cable on the dslr to minimise camera shake....I dare say that you could use a timer on the phone

I've seen some breathtaking photos (landscapes etc) captured with a smartphone but I really wouldn't find it as easy to use as a purpose built dslr camera

Thanks @SemolinaPilchard handy to know these things.

I don't sell a lot of coins/bars, I mainly buy them, but I do post a few items for sale here and there so it's handy to know.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post 👍

18 minutes ago, SemolinaPilchard said:

Thanks Booky.

I'm training a new recruit in how we take coin photos and she did both methods.

Yes...I prefer barn doors with grid attachment - but sometimes, especially with polished silver, it introduces shadows (or more accurately light fall off) on the edges.  I do persevere with the grid though and usually find a way with it.  The softbox does lose detail sometimes - but sometimes it's the only way with highly polished coins or we'd get too much blowout.

Is it possible to splice you ask - yes of course it is but that's very time consuming and we have so much to do it's not really worth the benefits.   However.....I do have a solution ...I keep my beauty dish at the studio which does sometimes play ball and give a good in between.   From my portrait days in my studio it was my modifier of choice but takes an eternity to master properly....and I've found that it's the same with coins.....if using that most days I'll just revert to one of the other modifiers but just occasionally it works and that's a "oooohhh - thats nice - I'll look forward to editing this one!" moment.

Just in case you're interested I'll link to an article my pal did about the axial lighting setup we use.  It's been linked before and a little out of date (we now have under product lighting also so we can capture the serrations)  I'll bring it up to date when I have time (I know I said this before too :))

https://www.diyphotography.net/use-mirrors-get-perfect-axial-lighting-macro-subjects/

10 minutes ago, SemolinaPilchard said:

Thanks for posting all this.

We should add a How to Photograph Coins info / blog / guide page to the Chards website.

It would help numismatists worldwide, and might encourage some of our less ethical competitors to take their own photos instead of using our high quality copyright ones.

I hope The Sun and the Daily Telegraph legal teams are reading this. GoldCore already know, although they were very slow learners!

😎

Chards