• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Does this sovereign look fake?

MJCOIN

I'm just browsing a few auctions for sovereigns and came across a listing for a George V 1913 sovereign.  Something looks off to me. What do other TSF members think?

https://www.easyliveauction.com/catalogue/lot/0af1df88527ce3741dffb4081e9a9d45/0af8d24542e81eb9357e7ef448a6646f/live-online-clocks-coins-stamps-militaria-toys-lot-69/

1 minute ago, sovereignsteve said:

I would agree, one or two aspects don't look right but can be difficult to be sure from photos.

There are some other George V sovereigns in the auction.  They look very different - more as I would expect a sovereign to look.

59 minutes ago, MJCOIN said:

I'm just browsing a few auctions for sovereigns and came across a listing for a George V 1913 sovereign.  Something looks off to me. What do other TSF members think?

https://www.easyliveauction.com/catalogue/lot/0af1df88527ce3741dffb4081e9a9d45/0af8d24542e81eb9357e7ef448a6646f/live-online-clocks-coins-stamps-militaria-toys-lot-69/

Looks OK to me, although a decent quality photo would help to determine whether all the wavy lines on it are from wear and tear, being in jewellery, or being cast in a back street in Dubai.

Have you asked the auctioneer, or checked whether they know anything about coins?

21 minutes ago, MJCOIN said:

There are some other George V sovereigns in the auction.  They look very different - more as I would expect a sovereign to look.

What, copper coloured?

😎

Chards

10 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Looks OK to me, although a decent quality photo would help to determine whether all the wavy lines on it are from wear and tear, being in jewellery, or being cast in a back street in Dubai.

Have you asked the auctioneer, or checked whether they know anything about coins?

What, copper coloured?

😎

Here are two different coins from the same auction.  The first picture is the one I think looks a bit odd.  When compared side by side the bottom one has a 'deeper' edge to the coin (as I would expect).  The top one seems almost too 'flat' by comparison - if you understand me.

No, I haven't informed the auctioneer.  I do not consider myself experienced enough to tell whether this is a fake or not, hence asking for advice here.

sov1.jpg

sov2.jpg

Edited by MJCOIN

12 hours ago, MJCOIN said:

It's actually 1931 not 1913.  Therefore it has the smaller GV head.  Nothing really stands out as being unusual.

1 hour ago, MJCOIN said:

Here are two different coins from the same auction.  The first picture is the one I think looks a bit odd.  When compared side by side the bottom one has a 'deeper' edge to the coin (as I would expect).  The top one seems almost too 'flat' by comparison - if you understand me.

No, I haven't informed the auctioneer.  I do not consider myself experienced enough to tell whether this is a fake or not, hence asking for advice here.

sov1.jpg

sov2.jpg

The lower coin is a first head. You did not state the date, but somewhere between 1911, and 1928.

As @Zhorro pointed out, your original 1913 is actually 1931.

Again, the mediocre quality photo does not help much. 

There appears to be an interesting die crack on the obverse of the lower coin, unless it is a casting "flash". Hard to tell with the poor lighting.

Would need to see the actual coins.

Chards

4 hours ago, MJCOIN said:

sov1.jpg

sov2.jpg

The o in omn is different and the hair around temple looks different, the top one seems weaker in overall strike 🤔 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Spot the difference, love it!

Denticles around outer edge of large head opposed to "other" edge detail on small head. Anyone know what the correct term for "other" is?

Can't see any obvious signs of a fake, but limited by photo quality and only half an image.

You tend to find the small head George V have a weaker strike so look different compared to a large head.

Time for another comparison photo. This time between the First (Larger) Head and the Small head. I had almost forgotten about the different head sizes until 'Zhorro' reminded me! The larger 1925 on the right is 2mm higher. Both are S.A. minted 1925 and 1931  + a single reverse 1931 photo.

IMG_2787 (3).JPG

IMG_2792 (2).JPG