• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

St Helena Gothic Crowns

These seem to be new from the East India Company, and look somewhat appealing if you didn't manage to get one at a good price (Hi Barry). Even if you did get one, it's nice that there's a 1oz silver version for under £100.

https://www.theeastindiacompany.com/bullion/?s=gothic&post_type=product

Gothic-Crown-1oz-AG-reverse-with-edge.jpgGothic-Crown-1oz-AG-obverse-with-edge.jpg

Just now, SovereignBishop said:

I was going to start a discussion about these myself. They look beautiful! 

I have no idea why they are not popular ? Same designer I think ? 

I think they only just came out. Not entirely sure when, but I couldn't see any previous mentions of them on here, so maybe The Silver Forum effect has yet to kick in on supplies :D 

I'm taking a punt on the 1oz silver just because it's practically the cheapest gothic crown around and I'm curious to see how it compares. The big gold ones seem like a waste of money at those prices.

I've ordered mine from a different website so now I'm concerned about whether they will do a Barry on me when the portrait coin come out!

2 hours ago, paulmerton said:

I think they only just came out. Not entirely sure when, but I couldn't see any previous mentions of them on here, so maybe The Silver Forum effect has yet to kick in on supplies :D 

I'm taking a punt on the 1oz silver just because it's practically the cheapest gothic crown around and I'm curious to see how it compares. The big gold ones seem like a waste of money at those prices.

I've ordered mine from a different website so now I'm concerned about whether they will do a Barry on me when the portrait coin come out!

agreed, i just got myself the 1oz, they may do the portrait too at some point, maybe

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 minute ago, SilverPlatinum said:

🙂 You cannot compare The Royal Mint (a government agency) to The East India Company (private mint).

There is a big difference when it comes to Numismatic value on those 2 different coins. Especially in the future.......

Very true but a nice coin anyway .... and if it was to be sold there are plenty out there who would buy it as they don't have the time, inclination or effort to source their own

57 minutes ago, SilverPlatinum said:

🙂 You cannot compare The Royal Mint (a government agency) to The East India Company (private mint).

There is a big difference when it comes to Numismatic value on those 2 different coins. Especially in the future.......

I see your point, but if the metal is the same and the coin good quality they are still nice for collectors

5 minutes ago, SovereignBishop said:

I see your point, but if the metal is the same and the coin good quality they are still nice for collectors

Indeed, and the most obvious thing to me is that the Royal Mint never made 1oz versions, and that 1oz is closer to the weight and size of the original gothic crown.

And they're cheaper.

And they're in stock! :D 

11 minutes ago, SilverPlatinum said:

🤔 Not really! $100 an ounce is too much for a private mint. $50 per ounce would be more reasonable for this particular release.

its actually $172 Canadian Dollars an ounce 😂

Just now, Gordy said:

its actually $172 Canadian Dollars an ounce 😂

To add..... I'd probably guarantee you could move these on ebay for more than a 20%-30% mark up

Would you believe this, i started watching a couple and someone has offered one to me for £133.00 🤣

Just now, Gordy said:

Would you believe this, i started watching a couple and someone has offered one to me for £133.00 🤣

the box looks ok too lol

The EIC 2oz Golds are circa £6K direct from the mint. They might hold their value in a 70, but I don’t think they will in a 69 (at least not in the short term, from personal experience with a 2oz Gold Una). Not sure about the Gothic series, but the big difference between the RM and EIC versions of the Una (for me at least) is the far superior ‘relief’ on the RM strikes. Give me an RM silver Una any day over the EIC gold. I haven’t seen the EIC Gothics in hand so can’t comment there….

5 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

@dikefalos has one:

I just miss one Engravers queue after another. Very pleased with the EIC alternative. Especially with their Una and Gothic. 

But the golden St. Helena rule, to stay pleased with the EIC coins, is:

Never turn them around. Terrible portrait.

20220217_111934.jpg

20220217_111821.jpg

47 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

I just miss one Engravers queue after another. Very pleased with the EIC alternative. Especially with their Una and Gothic. 

But the golden St. Helena rule, to stay pleased with the EIC coins, is:

Never turn them around. Terrible portrait.

20220217_111934.jpg

20220217_111821.jpg

Cracking photos and coin mate

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...