• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Goldbacks - What's your view on them ?

Centauri167

On Youtube you see video after video about the Goldback "hype" in the US.

In my eyes it's an insane product with such high premiums because at the end you pay a lot for some nice looking plastic with almost no real value, if it has any value at all because I think it will cost more to get the gold out of it again than the amount of gold that is stuck in them.

So I don't see the real difference with fiat money ...

As a collector "gimmick" I can understand it if you would want to have one Goldback, but from a stacking view I think it is a terrible investment.

What are you guys here on the forum thinking about the Goldbacks ??

13 minutes ago, Centauri167 said:

As a collector "gimmick" I can understand it if you would want to have one Goldback, but from a stacking view I think it is a terrible investment.

Stackers, collectors, lovers of PM's  all have different wants and some want Utah Goldbacks. Very pretty they are but as you have noted not great for investment stacking or using especially outside of Utah or parts of the USA.

When these have gone up for sale / auction on the Australian "Silver Stackers" forum they don't long....it's just something different that appeals and for a small outlay (verses buying an oz of Au  or kg of Ag), the premium isn't the defining factor...the difference of the product and beauty is.

I've got literally a couple. They cost a few quid and picked them up just for a bit of fun to go in a collection of hyper inflation era banknotes. As a collectible novelty item costing similar to what people might spend on grabbing a coffee cool. 

As an investment or way of stacking precious metals, no i don't think they fulllfil that purpose and clearly there are far more economical ways of stacking metals. 

As a novelty or gift item they're fun and intriguing, I'd love to receive one in a birthday or Christmas card - would be a nice change from the usual Amazon gift voucher!

But I think the practicalities just don't work. There was an issue with the early batches whereby the layer of gold would delaminate from the plastic/polymer/whatever it is, leaving you with a nice bit of plastic and a wallet full of gold dust. I presume those issues have been ironed out by now, but definitely not something I'd be interested in outside of being a rather quirky curio piece.

Unlike precious metals, you can’t independently verify the authenticity of a Goldback.  You can’t use a XRF gun, Sigma or GVS machine to test.  You literally have to trust the manufacturer that the amount of gold in the product is imbedded in the Goldback.   You could do a fire assay, but then that defeats the purpose of getting the Goldback.  

Because I can’t independently verify the gold content, I would never stack Goldbacks.  I might buy one just for the novelty, but I doubt anytime soon.  Better to put limited cash resources to better use by buying physical gold that I can test and verify. 

6 hours ago, SilverStorm said:

Unlike precious metals, you can’t independently verify the authenticity of a Goldback.  You can’t use a XRF gun, Sigma or GVS machine to test.  You literally have to trust the manufacturer that the amount of gold in the product is imbedded in the Goldback.   You could do a fire assay, but then that defeats the purpose of getting the Goldback.  

Because I can’t independently verify the gold content, I would never stack Goldbacks.  I might buy one just for the novelty, but I doubt anytime soon.  Better to put limited cash resources to better use by buying physical gold that I can test and verify. 

Fully agree with that. Except the crazy premium on it what makes it fiat money in my eyes it's even more difficult to check that it is real than our normal money ...

A gimmick that I hope will soon be gone, nothing more.

And I still wonder how much the cost is to extract the gold in it again because with such extremely low quantities I think with most lower bills the price of extraction will be higher what makes the purpose of having gold also go fully away !

35 minutes ago, GoldStandardPartyUK said:

As an attempt at creating a sound currency I applaud it. 

Personally I don't think it has a future for the reasons already stated, I think the real future of sound money is Kinesis.

What is "Kinesis" and what's the difference with fiat or lets' say Goldbacks ?

Interesting at least.

7 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

What is "Kinesis" and what's the difference with fiat or lets' say Goldbacks ?

Interesting at least.

Kinesis.money is an attempt at tokenisation of gold, but with a twist because it has a yield system. So whilst your gold is stored in a vault you earn something like interest. The token you receive shows actual ownership (rather than a receipt) and the gold is redeemable if you wanted to test it, and the tokens can function as currency. I'm a small investor and use it for my gold storage but have a couple of their venture capital tokens. 

There's more to it but that's the 1 minute version. 

Edited by GoldStandardPartyUK

1 hour ago, GoldStandardPartyUK said:

Kinesis.money is an attempt at tokenisation of gold, but with a twist because it has a yield system. So whilst your gold is stored in a vault you earn something like interest. The token you receive shows actual ownership (rather than a receipt) and the gold is redeemable if you wanted to test it, and the tokens can function as currency. I'm a small investor and use it for my gold storage but have a couple of their venture capital tokens. 

If you don’t physically have it you don’t own anything.

16 minutes ago, TommyTwoShots said:

If you don’t physically have it you don’t own anything.

You do with kinesis. It's in your own title. Anyway the point is it's another attempt to bring back sound money, something we should celebrate. If/when the fiat system gets exhausted I'm betting gold will replace it, these sound money efforts are building a foundation for gold being a currency again

1 hour ago, GoldStandardPartyUK said:

Thx for the info.

But 100000% nothing for me, gold you own physical or not. Believing in companies who will keep it for you and do nothing with it in the meantime and even pay you a sort of intrest ... 🤔

13 minutes ago, Centauri167 said:

Thx for the info.

But 100000% nothing for me, gold you own physical or not. Believing in companies who will keep it for you and do nothing with it in the meantime and even pay you a sort of intrest ... 🤔

Agreed. I wouldnt trust any company with my assets. Not that I own any mind.

We need to break the fiat system somehow. Fiat, unbacked cryptos, CBDCs, all have a digital component making them suitable for modern commerce. But ABCDs are backed by definition therefore have real potential, some as currencies. 

It is not the digitalness of a currency that makes it objectionable to me it's the ability to inflate it. 

6 minutes ago, GoldStandardPartyUK said:

We need to break the fiat system somehow. Fiat, unbacked cryptos, CBDCs, all have a digital component making them suitable for modern commerce. But ABCDs are backed by definition therefore have real potential, some as currencies. 

It is not the digitalness of a currency that makes it objectionable to me it's the ability to inflate it. 

Why we have to break it ? So the world can collapse in chaos and you hope to be one of the lucky survivors who has chosen the right follow up currency ?

If you get intrest on your gold account/ "Kinesis" you also create a sort of inflation.

Not one system in the world will ever work when you can not create more of it. What is needed is a good regulation that is done correct and that is the problem we have now. Like in the EU, the inflation is set on 2% but even when it is 7% now, the money creation is not stopping and the intrest rate is not raised like it should be ... 

13 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

Why we have to break it ? So the world can collapse in chaos and you hope to be one of the lucky survivors who has chosen the right follow up currency ?

If you get intrest on your gold account/ "Kinesis" you also create a sort of inflation.

Not one system in the world will ever work when you can not create more of it. What is needed is a good regulation that is done correct and that is the problem we have now. Like in the EU, the inflation is set on 2% but even when it is 7% now, the money creation is not stopping and the intrest rate is not raised like it should be ... 

The answer to this question is yes. 

kinesis currencies aren't inflationary, they don't create fake currency to generate the yield. The yield is paid in real currency. 

Not one system in the world will ever work when you can not create more of it

Agree currencies shouldn't be debased. We need to return to sound money and laissez faire.