• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

British Trade Dollars - Demand & Prices & Pics

dangelo

Any ideas on the market prices paid for various grades of British trade dollars of various conditions?  Are these coins in high demand by collectors?

If anyone has some photos to share with some idea on valuation that will be welcome.

I'm considering collecting some and want to know what the market is like and if any specific years or mint marks are worth hunting down :)

In my experience they vary from the quite reasonable to the daft expensive (compared to its metal values anyways). They tend to command a much higher price if they have been counter stamped. Some multiple counter-stamped examples get a very favourable price indeed.

I used to see these all the time years ago and sell them as scrap, wish I had kept a few of them!

2 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

I think it's best to check on ebay on the sold items. It'll get you a good indicator on the current market price.

http://www.watchcount.com/completed.php?bkw=british+trade+dollar&bcat=0&bcts=&sfsb=Show+Me!&csbin=all&cssrt=pi&bfw=1&bslr=&bnp=&bxp=#serp

Seems to show from £1000 down to £100 range for what sellers call genuine coins.  Saw one obvious fake sold for £29.  I appreciate the tip on Ebay but I think a lot more coins are sold off of that platform than on it.  Their fees mess with the prices and there are a lot of pirates on there of various kinds :)  It's still some kind of indicator though for sure.

1 hour ago, ShropshireTom said:

In my experience they vary from the quite reasonable to the daft expensive (compared to its metal values anyways). They tend to command a much higher price if they have been counter stamped. Some multiple counter-stamped examples get a very favourable price indeed.

I used to see these all the time years ago and sell them as scrap, wish I had kept a few of them!

The chopped ones are cool, i can appreciate why they could be more valuable simply because they show how they were used back in the day.  You can sell me some at scrap price if you like hahah :D

50 minutes ago, dangelo said:

The chopped ones are cool, i can appreciate why they could be more valuable simply because they show how they were used back in the day.  You can sell me some at scrap price if you like hahah :D

I wish I had some left! I remember a few that I didn’t have the heart to scrap and had them put to one side. I’ll have a dig and if I can find them I’ll let you know. I wouldn’t bet on it though 🤣 my junk cupboard probably has 100+kgs of .925 and below silver. If they are in there they will take some finding. 

most conversations in my house start “What the f*ck is that? You are actually half magpie, aren’t you?! I know what you are going to say, don’t even think of saying “But it was cheap”! And if I hear you quote spot price one more time I’m going to scream.”

and just so you know, the response of “Well if we extended the garage, I could spend the money on expensive, unreliable, heap of cr*p expensive Italian cars and motorcycles instead of precious metals.” Absolutely does not work 🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, ShropshireTom said:

I wish I had some left! I remember a few that I didn’t have the heart to scrap and had them put to one side. I’ll have a dig and if I can find them I’ll let you know. I wouldn’t bet on it though 🤣 my junk cupboard probably has 100+kgs of .925 and below silver. If they are in there they will take some finding. 

most conversations in my house start “What the f*ck is that? You are actually half magpie, aren’t you?! I know what you are going to say, don’t even think of saying “But it was cheap”! And if I hear you quote spot price one more time I’m going to scream.”

and just so you know, the response of “Well if we extended the garage, I could spend the money on expensive, unreliable, heap of cr*p expensive Italian cars and motorcycles instead of precious metals.” Absolutely does not work 🤣🤣

And whilst we are on the subject, you know the funny part? If said precious metal originated in the workshops of Cartier or Boucheron and retails at a few hundred plus percent on top of spot (and the rest…) and is designed to be worn by her, that is absolutely ok, no questions asked.

sorry for hijacking your thread pal 🤣🤣

Edited by ShropshireTom

One last hijack post anecdote because it was realy funny, then I’ll let you get back to trade dollars.

1983 Libertads will not fit through the pipe in an LG 8kg washing machine into the coin trap and necessitate a £350 call out to dismantle said LG to remove said 1983 Libertad. Ask me how I know! 🤣 Actually thought I was going to have to sleep in the car.

3 hours ago, ShropshireTom said:

Hi Tom. If you manage to find them then please let me know as I may also be interested. Thanks, Chris

2 hours ago, ShropshireTom said:

One last hijack post anecdote because it was realy funny, then I’ll let you get back to trade dollars.

1983 Libertads will not fit through the pipe in an LG 8kg washing machine into the coin trap and necessitate a £350 call out to dismantle said LG to remove said 1983 Libertad. Ask me how I know! 🤣 Actually thought I was going to have to sleep in the car.

Ah, the pocket piece😁

Edited by sovereignsteve

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

The problem is the number of fakes, these seem to outnumber genuine coins.

I'm not aware of a good reference source to indicate prices etc

The fakes of silver coins generally seems to have sky rocketed in the last 10 years. You always had to be mindful with gold coins but silver was generally relatively safe - Thalers aside. It’s getting to be a mine field with junk silver of a higher value.

I dont deliberately buy trade dollars so thankfully not so much of an issue for me, but I’ve seen loads recently. I have a box full of fake bars and coins that I pull out of joblots I often buy and I use them to educate myself for spotting when I’m buying. A sad state of affairs.

Edited by ShropshireTom
Typo

8 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

@jultorsk might be able to help

You're too kind @richatthecroft

All I know is the market in Asia for these seems quite hot still, see e.g., prices from Spink China auctions. Heritage and Stacks Bowers are also potential references. Toned examples seem to command a hefty premium compared to flash white ones.

They're fickly beasts these - as @sovereignsteve very pertinently flags there are so many fakes around, better see and weigh them with own eyes before making costly mistakes. Many more are cleaned, too.

Note that chop marks may get you details grade at PCGS, here's one example. 

212774054.jpg

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

48 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

You're too kind @richatthecroft

All I know is the market in Asia for these seems quite hot still, see e.g., prices from Spink China auctions. Heritage and Stacks Bowers are also potential references. Toned examples seem to command a hefty premium compared to flash white ones.

They're fickly beasts these - as @sovereignsteve very pertinently flags there are so many fakes around, better see and weigh them with own eyes before making costly mistakes. Many more are cleaned, too.

Note that chop marks may get you details grade at PCGS, here's one example. 

212774054.jpg

Very interesting... thanks for sharing!  It's cool to hear they are popular in Asia still.  Maybe still a fair few around in HK and MY/SG. 

I guess that graded coin's "XF" means extra fine?  I'm surprised, the coin I have has lots more detail than that one, perhaps a it's "almost uncirculated" then.  I'll share some pics tomorrow.

Noted on the pain of checking coins before buying... I feel really annoyed if a modern bullion 1oz silver turns out fake, so getting a fake trade dollar would be up to 100 times wose feeling... gotta watch out.

There is a place on the Strand in London (was Stanley Gibbons?) that still sells premium stamps and relic coins. Last June, I managed to acquire an ungraded, toned 1901- B. The B means the coin was minted in Bombay with the mint mark located on the middle prong of the trident. Along with a hand written COA, I paid £150, I wanted an authentic historic silver artifact from the British Empire. Still chuffed🙂 At the time they had four silvery ones remaining...

28 minutes ago, Shell said:

There is a place on the Strand in London (was Stanley Gibbons?) that still sells premium stamps and relic coins. Last June, I managed to acquire an ungraded, toned 1901- B. The B means the coin was minted in Bombay with the mint mark located on the middle prong of the trident. Along with a hand written COA, I paid £150, I wanted an authentic historic silver artifact from the British Empire. Still chuffed🙂 At the time they had four silvery ones remaining...

The coin sounds great and I agree with your sentiments.  I think my first trade dollar also has the Bombay mint mark.  Surely these coins have inspired lots more after them.  Was this the first coin with an "oriental border"?  I see it on some Britanias in my collection too.  I also like the ship on this coin - it's from a time when sailing ships were already getting out of date and steam ships and engines were coming along.  I'm surprised Nemesis isn't on any coins (that I know about) because that would have been an awesome statement during the opium wars, paying for goods in HK with Nemesis dollars haha...

• 2 months later...