• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Do you transfer your bullion tubes into capsules?

Hello all,

If you buy tubes of bullion silver coins, do you keep them in the tube or put them into individual capsules to better protect them?

I uploaded a video on YouTube about this & it got mixed reactions..

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on this 💭 

When I'm buy coins in a tube, they stay in a tube. I'm trying to get at least one presentation coin to show around, which I put in a capsule.

When I'm buying single coins I put them in capsules. Except Junk Silver coins, which I like to finger (shut your dirty minds 😁 )

Yeah if they come in a tube they stay in a tube. Unless singles or really cool coins so I can see them more frequently. In my mind there's no point adding extra expense to bullion by individually putting in capsules plus it takes up more space and very easy to knock them over if storing vertically. Tubes are extra easy to store and will keep your coins relatively in good condition providing your not shaking them like smarties lol.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Interesting video. I just leave silver coins in their tubes. Capsules don't seem to provide any benefit over tubes, and they add considerable expense. To not lose money on silver it's important to be disciplined on cost minimization. With premiums and, for you lot, VAT, there's already enough of a "hole" or price risk to make me want to avoid capsules.

For singles I just use plastic baggies or Ziploc snack bags (those are smaller than the sandwich bags). I bought a bunch of Plymor plastic baggies on Amazon for 8¢ per bag. They're "heavy duty" 4 mil plastic, 3″ × 4″. That's probably a bit too large, and I don't remember why I chose that size. 2″ × 2″ should work, since all one ounce coins are ≈ 40 mm in diameter, or 1.6 inches.

Capsules are a pain to open, and as long you have some kind of closed storage it seems to prevent tarnish, which is the main concern with silver.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2021 at 00:21, KevinFlynn said:

When I'm buy coins in a tube, they stay in a tube. I'm trying to get at least one presentation coin to show around, which I put in a capsule.

When I'm buying single coins I put them in capsules. Except Junk Silver coins, which I like to finger (shut your dirty minds 😁 )

Yes, I do the same for silver BU coins.  But when it comes to gold coins, it’s capsules and tube all the way.   

Edited by SilverStorm

I'm a pure bullion guy but i do still try to look after stuff. If it comes in a tube, it stays in the tube unless i need to take it out for pictures for here or my Instagram. If it's in a capsule or slab, it stays in there. I'm far too likely to end up launching it across the room trying to prise open those ait-tites. I do have some coin flips i use for my gold if it doesn't arrive in one when i purchase. If i did get any silver not in anything at all, I'd probably stick it in a flip or a zip lock bag if it's a bar as well. The only thing i keep loose is my pre decimal silver as i figure it's been rattling around in change for over 100 years in some case, me having it in a box isn't going to do any more damage.

At the end of the day though, I'd say do whatever makes you feel most comfortable. It's your investment so if you want to show it extra love by putting it in a capsule, then that's perfectly fine. Just don't forget to factor in the cost (and remember if you sell it, you don't have to sell with the capsule, you can always reuse for other coins or sell them second hand like some people do with the mint tubes).

I'd normally put everything in air-tite caps but some bu like perth mint come in caps as well as proofs. I have a large amount of caps which i tend to buy on a yearly basis. The only one i can't get easily is the ringed sovs which i buy from @morezone. Personally i don't have any restrictions on safe off-site storage so everything stays in mint presentation cases too.