• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Recycled 2021 Silver Penny from the Royal Mint

Zhorro

I spotted this on the Royal Mint's website:

• Made from 100% recycled 925 sterling silver and finished to Brilliant Uncirculated standard
  • Featuring a special privy mark

https://www.royalmint.com/gifts/by-occasion/recycled-silver-penny/

But yet again it is something on the website which states "Email when back in stock"!  Has it really been released???

4 minutes ago, SidS said:

Why the portcullis design and not the dissected shield?

For some reason the Royal Mint uses the portcullis design on these "Celebration" pennies.  Below is a 2019 example of this type of penny.

2019silverpennyb.png

Maybe they've decided they don't like the shield designs anymore? Maybe the portcullis stands alone as a design better?

Thought I'd seen the back of the insipid Ironside designs, the Britannia 50p was the only decent one really, and that was based on previous designs tbh.

Edited by SidS

2 minutes ago, SidS said:

Maybe they've decided they don't like the shield designs anymore? Maybe the portcullis stands alone as a design better?

Thought I'd seen the back of the insipid Ironside designs, the Britannia 50p was the only decent one really, and that was based on previous designs tbh.

I think it is probably due to marketing - collectors are more likely to buy them if they are distinctive.  I am not sure how many members of the public would be queuing up to buy a celebratory silver penny for £32.50 (see below Silver Penny commemorating the birth of a baby).  The Recycled Silver Penny is the same design, but it has the addition of a privy mark.

2021BabyPenny.jpg

Please let us know what you think of the silver penny once you have received it.

I did not consider buying once since I thought it was overpriced since it is only 3.56g while the the £20 coins like the Welsh Dragon were 15.71g (which it looks like they have stopped making).

On 27/09/2021 at 10:22, SidS said:

It would be a strange world if we all liked the same things - but I really like the 10p design in its original size with the big Lion on it.

A few years ago I sought out an Uncirculated example from my birth year, which only cost me about 50p I think from memory, from a reputable coin dealer.  I love it!

Edited by Stuntman
Unc rather than BU. Although it perhaps is BU. Anyway, cheap as chips because they minted hundreds of millions of them!

I will confess I like the lion design the best after the 50p. It's the 1/2p, 1p that are the worst. Followed by the 5p and 2p. It's not that they're awful, just there's so much blank space around them.

I heartily agree that it wouldn't do for us all to like the same, but I love the fragmented shield design, especially the 5p, it makes an awful coin almost cool.

On 28/09/2021 at 11:53, kena said:

Please let us know what you think of the silver penny once you have received it.

I did not consider buying once since I thought it was overpriced since it is only 3.56g while the the £20 coins like the Welsh Dragon were 15.71g (which it looks like they have stopped making).

The penny has arrived and I have shown it under the "Today I received..." as I thought more people would see it there.  Sadly it does not give any details relating to the source of the recycled silver.

Back in stock, but delivery is early November.  I've just spoken to someone at the Royal Mint (my online payment was rejected!) and I said that this item seemed to be in and out of stock, he replied that they were being made in batches to match up with orders.