• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Strike Your Own Gold or Silver PROOF

I've just received an email from the Royal Mint announcing that their VIP tours of the Royal Mint Experience "will recommence from Wednesday 4th August 2021" (OK, it does seem to be a bit late to be making this announcement!).  Anyway, as an add on to the tour you can purchase the opportunity to Strike Your Own (SYO) gold or silver PROOF coin.  I know that in the past you have been able to SYO sovereign, but I think it is the first time it has been possible to strike a proof coin.

The coins on offer are the quarter ounce Gold Standard proof (£680) or a proof silver Britannia (£125).

This might account for why the recent proof quarter ounce Gold Standard had a release of 500 coins but a maximum mintage of 910 - the extra 410 may have been reserved for these SYO coins?

It will be interesting to see what the quality of these SYO coins will be.

https://www.royalmint.com/the-royal-mint-experience/vip-tours/?__ja=tsid%3a38667|kw%3aE22E02A&utm_medium=email&utm_source=promotional&utm_campaign=2021-08-rme-vip-tours&utm_content=main-cta1&ca=34311362&mc=E22E02A

SYOproof.jpg

4 hours ago, Zhorro said:

I've just received an email from the Royal Mint announcing that their VIP tours of the Royal Mint Experience "will recommence from Wednesday 4th August 2021" (OK, it does seem to be a bit late to be making this announcement!).  Anyway, as an add on to the tour you can purchase the opportunity to Strike Your Own (SYO) gold or silver PROOF coin.  I know that in the past you have been able to SYO sovereign, but I think it is the first time it has been possible to strike a proof coin.

The coins on offer are the quarter ounce Gold Standard proof (£680) or a proof silver Britannia (£125).

This might account for why the recent proof quarter ounce Gold Standard had a release of 500 coins but a maximum mintage of 910 - the extra 410 may have been reserved for these SYO coins?

https://www.royalmint.com/the-royal-mint-experience/vip-tours/?__ja=tsid%3a38667|kw%3aE22E02A&utm_medium=email&utm_source=promotional&utm_campaign=2021-08-rme-vip-tours&utm_content=main-cta1&ca=34311362&mc=E22E02A

SYOproof.jpg

Perhaps the idea is that if you strike your own, they might be better than the ones the Royal Mint strikes! 🙂

Chards

I’ve been looking into these VIP tours (£95) at the Royal Mint Experience in Wales.

The VIP tours only run on Wednesdays and have a maximum of four people (no one under the age of 16 is allowed).  I was thinking of going but the first place available is on 2nd February 2022 – all tours prior to this are fully booked.  Obviously at the moment it is difficult to say which proof coins would be available to be struck (at an extra cost) in five months time.

Edited by Zhorro
typo

2 hours ago, Zhorro said:

I’ve been looking into these VIP tours (£95) at the Royal Mint Experience in Wales.

The VIP tours only run on Wednesdays and have a maximum of four people (no one under the age of 16 is allowed).  I was thinking of going but the first place available is on 2nd February 2022 – all tours prior to this are fully booked.  Obviously at the moment it is difficult to say which proof coins would be available to be struck (at an extra cost) in five months time.

At present, the coin they potentially appear to be promoting a proof of is a 50p piece coin, no gold for example; does that make it feel slightly more under whelming now ....... :)

https://www.royalmint.com/the-royal-mint-experience/strike-your-own-coin/

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

2 hours ago, Coverte said:

At present, the coin they potentially appear to be promoting a proof of is a 50p piece coin, no gold for example; does that make it feel slightly more under whelming now ....... :)

https://www.royalmint.com/the-royal-mint-experience/strike-your-own-coin/

I agree that the picture on the Royal Mint website looks like a proof Decimal Day 50p, however, since re-opening in May the regular "Strike Your Own" has been this Decimal Day 50p.  Therefore I don't think we can take it as representing one of the precious metal proof strikes.

DecimalDay.jpg

It’s a good experience, the visit around the museum is worth the entrance fee. 

I’ve stuck a few sovereigns, the 2nd year I sent the sovereign back as it had a strange flaw in the field of the coins, and to be quite honestly they don’t handle the coins with that much care, once it was stuck it was unceremoniously chucked onto a tea tray and passed to the packing team. 

good day out but I’m hitting a mental block with the price of modern gold proof coins. 

On 21/08/2021 at 18:49, Zhorro said:

Does anybody remember the Royal Mint used to have an FDC club?

Anybody care to suggest what FDC stood for in this context?

"It will be interesting to see what the quality of these SYO coins will be."

If they aren't perfect, you will only have yourself to blame!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

I believe my brother was something to do with a First Day Cover Club - goodness - that was decades ago @LawrenceChard  

He was a stamp collector back then, no idea if he still does that; he remarried and now has kids younger than some of my gradchildren

- silly boy is now doomed to do work he hates untill he dies - his own words - all rather unfortunate, as he is on steroids as he also has bad COPD.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

40 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

"It will be interesting to see what the quality of these SYO coins will be."

If they aren't perfect, you will only have yourself to blame!

😎

And what will it say if these SYO proofs are better than the Royal Mint's?

34 minutes ago, Coverte said:

I believe my brother was something to do with a First Day Cover Club - goodness - that was decades ago @LawrenceChard  

He was a stamp collector back then, no idea if he still does that; he remarried and now has kids younger than some of my gradchildren

- silly boy is now doomed to do work he hates untill he dies - his own words - all rather unfortunate, as he is on steroids as he also has bad COPD.

First Day Covers are about stamps and postage.

There seem to be a number of First Day Cover Clubs throughout the world.

The one your brother was in may have been run by Westminster, Benhams, the Post Office, or one of many stamp and First Day Cover marketing companies.

There is also The Association of Great Britain First Day Cover Collectors (GBFDC).

FDC has a different meaning when it comes to coins,

Chards

On 21/08/2021 at 18:49, Zhorro said:

...but I think it is the first time it has been possible to strike a proof coin.

Having now looked on eBay, it appears that SYO proof precious metal coins actually started in 2019 with the circulation £2 Britannia (but struck to proof standard in silver and gold plated).  It appears that this started on 23rd January 2019.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382764289573?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

• 2 weeks later...