• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Milled Edge Differences on 2021 Silver Bullion Britannias

Interesting Milled Edge Differences on 2021 Silver Bullion Britannias

About 2 weeks ago, we received 20,000 x 2021 Silver Britannias

Our photographer noticed the milled edges looked unusual, so did a side by side comparison:

2021elizabethiisilverbullion1ozbritannianewandolddesignswithcloseviewoftherimswithoverlayshowingdifferenceinshapeanddepthcrop.thumb.jpg.29dda5b5ca57d30d0dada97aa13a1346.jpg

The whole batch seemed to be the same.

Last week we received a further 20,000 of them, and they all appear to be normal.

Without checking I don't know which is which, and as we have none of the earlier batch left, I can only ask.

Update, our photographer just messaged me (at 22.58!) to tell me the odd looking one is on the left.

Edited by LawrenceChard
added update

Chards

16 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Our photographer noticed the milled edges looked unusual, so did a side by side comparison:

2021elizabethiisilverbullion1ozbritannianewandolddesignswithcloseviewoftherimswithoverlayshowingdifferenceinshapeanddepthcrop.thumb.jpg.29dda5b5ca57d30d0dada97aa13a1346.jpg

Last week we received a further 20,000 of them, and they all appear to be normal.

Without checking I don't know which is which, and as we have none of the earlier batch left, I can only ask.

Update, our photographer just messaged me (at 22.58!) to tell me the odd looking one is on the left.

Given the uneven milled edge, is there any difference to the obverse or reverse side comparing with the normal britannia?

Edited by Bruce06

14 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

It looks like the pressure was wrong on the coin press.

Not sure if the Mint use an upsetting machine anymore, so would be interesting to see if the devices are softer(for want of a better description),

even though there is no difference to the coin.

Edited by Wampum

3 hours ago, Wampum said:

It looks like the pressure was wrong on the coin press.

Not sure if the Mint use an upsetting machine anymore, so would be interesting to see if the devices are softer(for want of a better description),

even though there is no difference to the coin.

More likely to be a different / worn / collar, or similar problem.

Chards

On 27/07/2021 at 16:45, LawrenceChard said:

All possibilities, will be interesting to see how far afield they get over the coming years, It will be like the yellow plastic ducks of the coin world, especially if they all started at your shop. 

• Founder & Administrator

Decided to move this to its own topic rather than in the photo only discussion topic, as it makes more sense as it’s own topic :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

On 27/07/2021 at 16:45, LawrenceChard said:

I find it hard to belive that this, and all the other RM QC issues reported here over recent months, and this are unrelated...

The Government-owned mint, based in Wales, makes coins for the UK and countries around the world, as well as offering investment products.

It has reported a pre-tax profit of £12.4million in the year to 31 March 2021, up from a £200,000 loss the year before.

They seem to be, quite literally, 'cutting corners'.

Good reputations are quite 'sticky' once you've earnt one. However, if you lose it, bad repuations are rather 'sticky' too...

On 26/07/2021 at 22:51, LawrenceChard said:

On Friday, we noticed another production error problem on 2021 silver Britannias. We will be taking photos on Monday, and post them here.

Chards

21 minutes ago, zxtm99 said:

I find it hard to belive that this, and all the other RM QC issues reported here over recent months, and this are unrelated...

They seem to be, quite literally, 'cutting corners'.

Good reputations are quite 'sticky' once you've earnt one. However, if you lose it, bad repuations are rather 'sticky' too...

From memory, the Royal Mint does seem to have an erratic profitability record.

I have read the RM report, or at least the most important and less waffly bits of it. I may need to check it further for any mention of quality control.

In my opinion, there should be no excuse for what seems to be a lack of awareness on their part about the problem. The net profits generated in the last year do not sound excessive bearing in mind the turnover (revenue), and the fact they have a monopoly over the production of United Kingdom coins.

I suspect some of the apparent RM indifference to quality control problems may be because its management believes its own propaganda and hype.

Chards

On 01/08/2021 at 12:25, LawrenceChard said:

On Friday, we noticed another production error problem on 2021 silver Britannias. We will be taking photos on Monday, and post them here.

2021elizabethiisilverbullion1oz2poundsbritanniacomparisonofnormaldesignwithrecentlyreceivedworndesignobvcrop.thumb.jpg.c00856d8b6bc3a15a3d4dcff460805e6.jpg

... and the reverses looked normal according to Doug ...

Any guesses about the cause?

...apart from c**p RM QC

Weak striking, worn dies?

Edited by LawrenceChard
removed duplication

Chards

I assume the post above is the image version of a typo? Or have you received a batch of double-headed Brits?

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

...apsrt from c**p RM QC

I assume the post above is the image version of a typo? Or have you received a batch of double-headed Brits?

2 minutes ago, zxtm99 said:

You can say that again! 🙂

Well spotted.

I also noticed that when I got home, after rushing at the office.

It took me 3 attempts to delete the duplicate photos, but TSF seemed to be intent on "helping" by restoring them.

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

2021elizabethiisilverbullion1oz2poundsbritanniacomparisonofnormaldesignwithrecentlyreceivedworndesignobvcrop.thumb.jpg.c00856d8b6bc3a15a3d4dcff460805e6.jpg

... and the reverses looked normal according to Doug ...

...apart from c**p RM QC

Reverse look about normal. These are the same two coins, with the good one on the left, and faulty one on the right:

2021elizabethiisilverbullion1oz2poundsbritanniacomparisonofnormaldesignwithrecentlyreceivedworndesignrev4000.thumb.jpg.9be032a03d625f6c8f398cc09b5517b4.jpg

TSF Members are invited to play "Spot the Difference"

Chards

On 04/08/2021 at 12:56, EdwardTeach said:

Is there any chance the faulty ones could be worth more or is this kind of thing not the same as other types of misprint?

If you read they are worth more, it's a misprint!

I don't consider this example of poor production quality to enhance their value, however there are error collectors who may find them desirable or interesting.

Coins are minted not printed, so misminted rather than misprinted.

Chards

1 hour ago, Wampum said:

@LawrenceChardJust out of curiosity, are the two coins shown from the same Batch/Box? 

No, from different batches.

I don't know how many of the weak ones we have, but I hope it's not many.

We @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer should keep one in our Black Museum, but if not, we have the photos.

Chards

On 04/08/2021 at 16:48, Dan12345 said:

Typical ebay optimism.

Ebay get another listing fee.

Seller could be correct about this "they should have gone back into the melting pot". It's not too late. 🙂

Chards