• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

UK new signup - collector

Hi Everyone

I'm a 64 year old Chartered Accountant with an interest specifically in sovereigns, although I did get tempted by the recent 'Phil coin' presented by the Mint.  I was amazed - they emailed me at 9:00 on Saturday 26th June.  I don't normally buy commemorative coins, but that one appealed.  I bought it straight away looked again at the Royal Mint site, at 9:50 am on the same day ... and they'd all gone!  (Well, all apart from a bolted together 'set' of one 1921 bullion coin and one 2021 bullion coin, and the 1Kg gold coins at £67,500 each!)

Anyway, enough wittering.  I have most monarchs, but not George VI.  One day ...

All the best

eblend

23 hours ago, eblend said:

Hi Everyone

I'm a 64 year old Chartered Accountant with an interest specifically in sovereigns, although I did get tempted by the recent 'Phil coin' presented by the Mint.  I was amazed - they emailed me at 9:00 on Saturday 26th June.  I don't normally buy commemorative coins, but that one appealed.  I bought it straight away looked again at the Royal Mint site, at 9:50 am on the same day ... and they'd all gone!  (Well, all apart from a bolted together 'set' of one 1921 bullion coin and one 2021 bullion coin, and the 1Kg gold coins at £67,500 each!)

Anyway, enough wittering.  I have most monarchs, but not George VI.  One day ...

All the best

eblend

Hey Eblend
welcome to the forum. I never realised how much variety there is to sovereigns initially, mainly a stacker myself but do get tempted by interesting coins 

2 hours ago, modofantasma said:

Hey Eblend
welcome to the forum. I never realised how much variety there is to sovereigns initially, mainly a stacker myself but do get tempted by interesting coins 

Yes, there's plenty of variety right enough.

Many years ago, I started off intending to be a stacker, and bought a small number of sovereigns to start me off (thirteen in fact).  But my life circumstances changed and I didn't have the money to keep investing.  Then, I lost interest after a while, only to take out the 'collection' of coins I had bought all those years ago, and realise that they did form the start of a collection.  I started to add, a coin at a time, and quickly realised that some of the coins I had bought were rapidly rising in value.  Maybe that's luck, but it's enough to have sparked my interest for the last few years!

That's great! I've picked up a few interesting sovs like the 2002,05 and 2012 in bullion form the rest have just come from random dates. I was curious to find a copy of the sovereign book but I'm hesitant as that would be like a big can of worms 😂

1 minute ago, modofantasma said:

That's great! I've picked up a few interesting sovs like the 2002,05 and 2012 in bullion form the rest have just come from random dates. I was curious to find a copy of the sovereign book but I'm hesitant as that would be like a big can of worms 😂

I haven't tended to go for the bullion versions of more recent sovereigns.  I really like the proof versions, and some of them are spectacular - the 1989 proof sovereign, for instance, and also the 2017 proof coin, using the original Pistrucci design for the reverse complete with restored plume on the helmet.  For the 2017 coin, the designs of the bullion coin and the proof sovereign were so different that I bought both.

You've just made me look at the 2002 coin again - I haven't got that one.  But I think I'd go for proof, and not get the bullion version as well because it seems to be essentially the same design, isn't it?

18 minutes ago, eblend said:

I haven't tended to go for the bullion versions of more recent sovereigns.  I really like the proof versions, and some of them are spectacular - the 1989 proof sovereign, for instance, and also the 2017 proof coin, using the original Pistrucci design for the reverse complete with restored plume on the helmet.  For the 2017 coin, the designs of the bullion coin and the proof sovereign were so different that I bought both.

You've just made me look at the 2002 coin again - I haven't got that one.  But I think I'd go for proof, and not get the bullion version as well because it seems to be essentially the same design, isn't it?

Yeah I think it's the same design. Like I say I'm just stacking but if I see something a bit different for 5 or 10 quid more than a standard sov I'll pick it up. I've a lot to learn in terms of proofs and their collectability and values 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Founder & Administrator

Hello eblend, welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme