• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gothic Crown 2021 (Alderney's version)

1 hour ago, AndrewSL76 said:

This got me thinking and curious enough to check the Population reports.........remember that the NGC/Royal Mint collaboration on the Mayflower and War/Peace coins was not as perfect - and despite the advertised mintage levels - the actual grading reports show far fewer numbers at PF70 etc......well.......something similar with the PCGS Pop report it seems:

So the Silver Proofs have a reported mintage of 2,500 per design and the Matt Proofs a reported mintage of 600 per design ............here are the actual (current) figures:

image.thumb.png.173c3b340c45f65739b79b1703b103ad.png

image.thumb.png.f0f1729eb35f66344bdd9d7d736be66e.png

So, it seems the actual available current mintage for both (and they do come as a set!) is limited currently to 837 for the Silver Proof and 63 for the Matte.....I can only presume that the mint will keep sending coins to PCGS until the population is completed.

Thoughts?

I think the same. The Papua 1 OZ Proof Birds had also a population of 347 for months. Propably that was the first badge. Than the CM must have send a second run to complete the 400 mintage in PR70. I think it depends on orders/preorders how many will be send to PCGS. 

Edited by dikefalos

It would be great to see the Royal Mint produce a Gothic Crown. The challenge will be getting hold of one on the day of its release (remember the Three Graces 5-minute sell out). However, regardless of what they do, when held in hand, this is a very impressive silver coin set.

I've seen coin dealers in Japan advertising the new Gothic Crown set [one for a few months] and Sovereign Rarities Ltd, here in the UK, is selling the £5 gold set for £7,600. I'm not sure how popular this set will be, but it doesn't matter because at the end of the day, I'm very happy with what I have. Nice coins!

45 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I’m not saying it’s inappropriate or that I dislike the young portrait of HM. I was just wondering why they did it. 🙂

It just fits better to the design of the coin. For me a great choice. Wished the RM did it on the reverse of the completer coin

6 hours ago, Altitudes said:

Interesting that they've minted two coins for this release. If the Royal Mint does the same for the 2oz gold, I wonder if it would make it prohibitively expensive for even more potential buyers.

That’s exactly what I said in a post above.

The RM’s latest pricing of the 2 Oz gold proof is about £5,000 so imagine spending £10,000 for the gothic set. 😐

I agree with the concern re price of the 2oz gold proof coins but don’t forget that from the Mint’s perspective a lot of the people that bought the 2oz Graces also bought the 5oz graces. With a limited mintage they would still be assured of a very fast sell out.

Saying that, I think such prices would price the vast majority of collectors out of the market. I agree with @Oldun re the business model and I think they will issue 2x1oz coins too. 

Edited by AndrewSL76

I really like the Alderney set up of two coins with the royally approved QEII young head gothic style (obviously an aging queen would not want to be outdone by a youthful gothic Queen Victoria).

I actually hope the RM just do one coin as it would make the Alderney 2 coin version unique.

Edited by Oldun

11 hours ago, Oldun said:

I really like the Alderney set up of two coins with the royally approved QEII young head gothic style (obviously an aging queen would not want to be outdone by a youthful gothic Queen Victoria).

I actually hope the RM just do one coin as it would make the Alderney 2 coin version unique.

Which side though? Both sides on one makes it a medal not a coin 🤔 Saying that they could produce a medal instead. They’ve done it before (Waterloo). 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Maybe they will produce a medal. Who knows ?  I still think the RM will go down the 2 coin set though…..too tempting to double prices and make a tidy profit.

If they go down the current portrait of the queen in a single coin, surely it will be the coat of arms, not the gothic head ? That would be my guess. However, surely the two coin set for the profit ? But, a good point about a medal version. I wouldn’t mind that, as it would make the Alderney version of the current queen in gothic style unique.

Edited by Oldun

9 hours ago, Oldun said:

Maybe they will produce a medal. Who knows ?  I still think the RM will go down the 2 coin set though…..too tempting to double prices and make a tidy profit.

If they go down the current portrait of the queen in a single coin, surely it will be the coat of arms, not the gothic head ? That would be my guess. However, surely the two coin set for the profit ? But, a good point about a medal version. I wouldn’t mind that, as it would make the Alderney version of the current queen in gothic style unique.

👍🏻

Could they use the same coat of arms on the upcoming Sovereign too? 🤔 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

On 13/08/2021 at 15:34, AndrewSL76 said:

I agree with @Oldun re the business model and I think they will issue 2x1oz coins too. 

They also usually release a 5 Oz gold and a 5 Oz silver.

Will they make these 2 x 2.5 Oz coins? 😬

And what about the kilo coins. Will they be 2 x 1/2 kilo coins? Or perhaps at that size cost becomes irrelevant. I mean, if you can afford a kilo of proof gold, what’s another kilo? 🤓

Edited by westminstrel

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a new version coming , I guess from EIC -  Saint-Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha  in different weight 1, 2,5 oz and 1kg in silver and a 2oz gold

With all these "variants" coming, I start to be disenchanted and bored with all this dilution and  if  the design of the Gothic Crown  is beautiful,  this marketing removes a part of the magic and uniqueness

I think it would be better if the RM surprises us with another design :(  

st-helena-5-oz-silver-gothic-crown-saint-helena-ascension-and-tristan-da-cunha-2022-proof-.jpg

st-helena-5-oz-silver-gothic-crown-saint-helena-ascension-and-tristan-da-cunha-2022-proof- (1).jpg

st-helena-gold-gothic-crown-saint-helena-ascension-and-tristan-da-cunha-2022-proof.jpg

Edited by Frenchie

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

I honestly wish the RM could copyright these designs - I wouldn’t mind not owning these coins and I agree - the numerous offical knockoffs by the various other mints has made these really unique designs appear everywhere now.

I would not be surprised if the designs from the other mints are produced on licence from the Royal Mint - it would be a nice little earner!

• 2 months later...
On 04/08/2021 at 15:17, AndrewSL76 said:

Yes - I am interested in seeing the Matt finished versions too. If anyone has either Gold or the Matt, please do share!

Just received the Matte Proofs. Hard to get the finish photographed, at least for me. I really like the finish, like satin frosted porcelain. Great coins, no fear for milk spots and i'm really happy to own these

20211117_113037.jpg

20211117_115612.jpg

20211117_115553.jpg

20211117_115730.jpg

20211117_115812.jpg

20211117_115958.jpg

Edited by dikefalos