• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Detector

You know when you get told a story that sounds so outlandish.. (for the last 6 years, am I right? 😁

I am asking if there is seriously a possibility this is true. A friend regaled me about a long story of his father's burglary some years ago, during which his gold was stolen from behind a filing cabinet, with nothing else touched. He went on to say a family over the road had the same very specific robbery happen to them. He seemed to indicate it was believed to be a gold detector of some sort and said they would now put any holdings in a lead lined box.

I pointed our a few alternative scenarios, for example it's likely "somebody talked", he also pointed out that both families were British Asian heritage, so I wondered if they'd been targeted on the likelihood the might be holding (seems a stretch). Just wondered if anyone had a thought on this, and whether "lead-lined" should be more in our vernacular for these physical holdings? 🙂

(And I'm aware a safe is the answer, but just a thought on this!)

Pretty sure most burglars worth their salt carry a metal detector to find hidden goodies.   A hand held wand that will detect PMs would cost about $300 usd .  The hand held wands are OK, but better would be full-blown prospector detector with a larger head that can be used to sweep the outside grounds, the floors, closets, and even ceilings pretty quickly.

Most can detect as little as half a grain of gold (!).   Yes, they will not discriminate very well (metal is metal to most of them) but an experienced user will know when he is sweeping over a nail head or a gold sovereign ;-)

I have no idea if a metal detector was used in this case, but it is certainly possible.

Get creative not too difficult, something metallic of no significant value that’s worth taking, that is also hollow, old bike frame rusty radiator, fire extinguisher etc, you can even buy fake tin cans disguised as baked beans etc. Great for hiding small amounts of gold and have it in different places. Won’t loose all your stash then. 

how ever if it’s a SHTF moment the thief  might be looking for food!! 

I have a teknetics g2+ detector and it can easily detect gold in the house I’ve tried it!  The discrimination settings are spot on.  With a good ear you can here the differences a mixed stack of gold and silver.    

I’ve thought about offering my services to estate agents when the house is empty, I bet I could find a few sovs. 

20 hours ago, leotsend said:

Extraordinary - I'm in awe. Would a lead lined box negate one of those then? 

I don't think hiding PM in a lead lined box would work.   I believe metal detectors can detect lead, which would allow the thief to find your PM.   See link below:

What Types of Metal Can a Metal Detector Find? (treasureseekr.com)

On 13/06/2021 at 20:04, SilverStorm said:

I don't think hiding PM in a lead lined box would work.   I believe metal detectors can detect lead, which would allow the thief to find your PM.   See link below:

What Types of Metal Can a Metal Detector Find? (treasureseekr.com)

I’m going  do a video of this this week, I’ll hide a few sovereigns and some 1oz gold and silver rounds and show how easy they are to find.  I’ll pop it in the thread once done.  

2 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I’m going  do a video of this this week, I’ll hide a few sovereigns and some 1oz gold and silver rounds and show how easy they are to find.  I’ll pop it in the thread once done.  

Cool, I look forward to seeing your metal detector in action

14 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Would really like to know what the tech can do that a stacker might be up against. Any ways of masking would also be a great feature (but whatever you do, that sounds really useful)  .

7 hours ago, leotsend said:

Would really like to know what the tech can do that a stacker might be up against. Any ways of masking would also be a great feature (but whatever you do, that sounds really useful)  .

Cheers, I'll get filming later this week.

Have you tried placing the coins in an iron container, like an old drain pipe? Something with thick walls (circa 5mm). Just seal the top and bottom with iron plates and bury it about 24" below the ground.

Failing that, wrap it in aluminium, stick it in the freezer - it's the Christmas turkey, gov, honest.

The inferior man argues about his rights, while the superior man imposes duties upon himself.

He who has a why can bear almost any how.

Every act of beauty is a revolt against the modern world.