• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buying silver flatware and other 925

1 hour ago, modofantasma said:

I'd say boots on the ground and just trawl the ones in your local area? 

Yer, fortunately I live near to some relatively well to do areas. I’m going to go trawling today I think.

47 minutes ago, ady said:

If there were such a "gold mine" of a market. Would you broadcast it?

Depends if I had cash that week 😂

A bit like a yard sale of sorts. 

As 27carrots said people fill up their car boots with items they want to sell. They drive to a designated place (sometimes a supermarket car park, sometimes a farmer's field), pay an entry fee (like rent) and then drive in, find a spot to park, open the boot and start unloading. They usually bring collapsible tables and such to put things out properly for people to see.

Other people who aren't selling will then drive there as well, pay the farmer/organiser to enter the site, park up and go hunting for bargains.

I used to go to quite a few years ago with my grandfather, always loved a car boot sale. Yes there's a lot of tat and junk, but hidden amongst it all there are occasionally things of value being sold by people who don't know what they've got, and often very cheaply too.

On 06/06/2021 at 07:44, TommyTwoShots said:

Anyone know of any good car boots or markets to pick up 925 flatware and junk silver in the UK? 

There are several sellers at Cheddar Boot Fair who sell 925 flatware at spot value. They buy at 80% of spot. They've usually got a few grands worth of stock available

54 minutes ago, HighlandTiger said:

There are several sellers at Cheddar Boot Fair who sell 925 flatware at spot value. They buy at 80% of spot. They've usually got a few grands worth of stock available

Thank you very kind of you to give me this tip

7 hours ago, SidS said:

They drive to a designated place (sometimes a supermarket car park, sometimes a farmer's field), pay an entry fee (like rent) and then drive in, find a spot to park, open the boot and start unloading. They usually bring collapsible tables and such to put things out properly for people to see.

Other people who aren't selling will then drive there as well, pay the farmer/organiser to enter the site, park up and go hunting for bargains.

there's a few distinctively British activities that this description pertains to 🙄

On 06/06/2021 at 12:05, TommyTwoShots said:

Yer, fortunately I live near to some relatively well to do areas. I’m going to go trawling today I think.

Depends if I had cash that week 😂

Hello Tommy. 

Thought I would give the carboot a visit this morning. There was definitely potential. Any tips on how to gauge how much to pay for something without getting the scales out? Also is all flatware sterling? Some bits had no markings, any tips there? 

Cheers

23 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Hello Tommy. 

Thought I would give the carboot a visit this morning. There was definitely potential. Any tips on how to gauge how much to pay for something without getting the scales out? Also is all flatware sterling? Some bits had no markings, any tips there? 

Cheers

Look for the hall mark if it's 925 it should be sterling or 800 for 80% for eg. Scales out I'd say 

7 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

Hello Tommy. 

Cheers

I only buy items I am certain is Sterling. No reason you can’t take your scales! I do.

take scales but be wary of using eyepieces, it might make you look like you know what your talking about but it also highlights an item might be valuable, best to just try and do it by the naked eye if possible. I will use an eyepiece from time to time but only if they are asking close to the items worth. 

Edited by watchesandwhisky