• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New to stacking, Advice needed.

Rebmaa

Hi all, 

I'm looking at silver stacking in the near future, I've done some reading and thought this would be a good place to get some questions answered.
I'm UK based and would like to know where are the best reputable places to buy silver coins from. 
How much above spot should I be paying for them?

I was looking to buy 5/10 coins to begin with then an extra 1/2 a month onwards.
At the moment what is the average I should be paying for a 1oz Britannia coin? The cheapest I have found is £32.23 for one.  Is this a fair price or should I be looking to get it for less?

Hope you guys can help. 

Rebmaa.  🙂

44 minutes ago, Rebmaa said:

Hi all, 

I'm looking at silver stacking in the near future, I've done some reading and thought this would be a good place to get some questions answered.
I'm UK based and would like to know where are the best reputable places to buy silver coins from. 

I was looking to buy 5/10 coins to begin with then an extra 1/2 a month onwards.
At the moment what is the average I should be paying for a 1oz Britannia coin? The cheapest I have found is £32.23 for one.  Is this a fair price or should I be looking to get it for less?

Hope you guys can help. 

Rebmaa.  🙂

you can look no better than on here, some of the bullion coins go for under £30.00 depending on what you're after.. if its stacking i would look for good year Britannia's and yuo can get them for under £30 regularly here and they are probably your best bet for stacking due to CGT free status.. the sellers on here are reputable in my experience and deal with big bucks and ;like to protect their feedback reputation... have a look at the buy/sell section and get an upgrade to silver membership as it opens more doors for buying, this forum is fantastic for beginners and provides a wealth of expertise.. 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

i logged out of the forum to take a look at the UK selling page
https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/13-united-kingdom-ungraded/

A lot of the entries aren't visible to a non-premium member. 
You would be able to see everything as a premium member but at the same time you aren't in the market for many coins after you get your initial purchase.
So i am thinking about the cost of premium membership v being able to see recent entries to the selling section.
When you are dealing with small numbers the postage becomes a bit of a bind and adds quite a bit to your cost per coin. 
Silver coins are getting pricey - looking back on the selling thread to say Feb 2020, members were selling at £16 / 17 for some 1 oz coins. 

Looking around you can pick up decent coins for around £30 + postage. There are a few 10 x 1 oz lots for £300.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

4 hours ago, Rebmaa said:

Hi all, 

Hope you guys can help. 

Rebmaa.  🙂

Hi.

Silver is popular at the minute so that pretty much is the price at the moment. Not exactly a fair one but this is the current market. The new starter pack on here is a good price as postage is included, why just bits? I have a fairly low budget so I tend to go for the pre decimal coins, you get more weight for your money. It all depends on your goal and how much effort you want to put in. 

Hi, @Rebmaa, and welcome in precious metals world.

Silver is very attractive now because apparently everyone is thinking about the spot price going up in next future. The demand from private stackers increased a lot from last September, but the demand from industry will increase much more in next few years.

There are a lot of opportunities to buy silver, not necessary from dealers, the best place is from this forum. If you want to stack only Britannia coins because CGT free, usual you can find at £27.5 - £30 each, depending of quantity. ( see for example @GreatBritishBullion ' s offer ).

If you are not interested about CGT free, there are lots of better deals around £26/oz.  With a budget of round £420/month you can buy from Baird every month 500g silver bar, equivalent under £26/oz. ( see https://www.bairdmint.com/products/500g-silver-cast-bar ).

Also, you can still buy silver around spot price, sometimes under if you are looking only to accumulate quantity as scrap silver and pre 47 british coins. You will find a very detailed example about scrap offered by me before on another topic here: 

Also, you will find my advice for any new stacker on here: 

It is very wise to avoid expensive mistakes made by all new stackers only learning from other's mistakes.

Cheers and happy stacking, my friend!🤗

Stefan.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge and the trade section you can get some real bargains. 

Think currently some maples being sold for £27.2 an ounce min 5 order. But you should upgrade to premium membership to see the best deals quick. 

Another tip i would do is go to antique shops. I went to one not long ago and bought most of the coins i was interested in for 10% over spot and got two 1oz silver krugerands for £10 each.

Hi lovely people, 😄

Thanks  for the Tips they have all been very helpful.

Things are a lot clearer now I know what to look for.

@Oliman can I ask are you London based, if so  are there any shops you would recommend to check out?

Rebmaa  🌸

2 hours ago, Rebmaa said:

Hi lovely people, 😄

Thanks  for the Tips they have all been very helpful.

Things are a lot clearer now I know what to look for.

@Oliman can I ask are you London based, if so  are there any shops you would recommend to check out?

Rebmaa  🌸

I have had a few good finds at the London coin fairs. Other than that they are the same price as online.

On 30/04/2021 at 22:55, Rebmaa said:

Hi all, 

Hope you guys can help. 

Rebmaa.  🙂

This forum is the cheapest you’ll find I expect. If only I knew about it when I first started holding real money. Saying that though my silver accumulated over 8 years ago has doubled in price. Silver is an affordable savings program. To go with other investments. Enjoyable but very addictive so only spend what you can afford. 👍

I think this might be the best place tbh , just wish I knew sooner about TSF sooner. i picked up some Britannia's under £28 last week. try and look for deals with CGT royal mint coins.

if you know what you are looking for sometimes can get exceptional deals on ebay. trouble is there are fakes so I tend to normally avoid Perth mint coins & Chinese Pandas. The other week some one tried selling me fake coins on ebay. An American Eagle Silver proof coin and James Bond 007 Perthmint coin. The weights were very off on the digital scales

2 hours ago, darkstar said:

I think this might be the best place tbh , just wish I knew sooner about TSF sooner. i picked up some Britannia's under £28 last week. try and look for deals with CGT royal mint coins.

if you know what you are looking for sometimes can get exceptional deals on ebay. trouble is there are fakes so I tend to normally avoid Perth mint coins & Chinese Pandas. The other week some one tried selling me fake coins on ebay. An American Eagle Silver proof coin and James Bond 007 Perthmint coin. The weights were very off on the digital scales

It is very good, but even the members here shop elsewhere. All depends if you are looking for a particular item or not. Also depends on budget also. If you are looking for one or two coins a month, I would go elsewhere. If you are looking for a tube of 25, then take your pick. It's nice to shop around, there are deals to be had too.

On 03/05/2021 at 15:38, darkstar said:

The other week some one tried selling me fake coins on ebay. An American Eagle Silver proof coin and James Bond 007 Perthmint coin. The weights were very off on the digital scales

I hope the reported the seller to ebay, although from experience, ebay don't care. There will be dozens of other crooks flogging similar fakes, and even when or if ebay ever close sellers' accounts, I am sure they just set up another account and carry on.

Chards

On 09/05/2021 at 09:20, LawrenceChard said:

I hope the reported the seller to ebay, although from experience, ebay don't care. There will be dozens of other crooks flogging similar fakes, and even when or if ebay ever close sellers' accounts, I am sure they just set up another account and carry on.

And that's one reason why I avoid eBay like the plague, too many scammers and fakes.   All the more reason to buy from reputable & honest bullion dealers.  

Research will show you that a "good" price for a common bullion 1 oz silver coin is circa £30 at the moment but not from any dealers.
Specific coins and specific dates can see prices double this so this benchmark is for bog-standard Maples, Eagles and Britannias etc but maybe you need to stretch to £35 for some.
Forum members listing for less, eg. £28 will sell their stack before a non-premium member even gets to see the listing.

Until you decide ( if you do ) to pay the premium member subs my suggestion is to place a "Wanted" on the forum along the theme -
Anyone selling silver coins preferably Britannias for £30 each or close to this level ?
Looking to buy 5, 10 ....
Try this as a fishing experiment and you will likely receive offers from sellers that perhaps aren't looking to sell right now but then maybe they change their mind.
Postage is also something to take into account as the cost of sending 1 coin can be the same as sending 3 and using say Signed For can add over 10% to your cost buying just one coin.

There is a member called @Paul who does a beginner stack deal with delivery included. Flick through a few pages on the sale section. It's still listed and to my understanding very trusted. I think you don't need paid membership for that one.

20 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

There is a member called @Paul who does a beginner stack deal with delivery included. Flick through a few pages on the sale section. It's still listed and to my understanding very trusted. I think you don't need paid membership for that one.

thanks for the mention @Bigmarc the 'beginners stacks' i had offered are on hold at present, that sets i had made up are now all sold to over x20+ happy beginners on the forum 

I need to collect some tubes from safe deposit box to make up some new bundles, but have not had chance to go into city as yet to retrieve   

Archived