• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ebay - New Managed Payments System and Rules

Becca

4 hours ago, Gordy said:

the fee is about 12.8% isnt it? so 80% off that it works out similar tbh if youre selling stuff 30-40 quid.. expensive stuff will obviously be more.. so choose wisely lol

Choose wisely indeed - especially if the fees don't include VAT, I'm not sure now - it's been a while since I sold there myself.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

On 04/04/2021 at 16:29, sovtsf said:

Has anyone found that since this new payment structure has been introduced that they havn’t had the £1 listing offer? 

I’m not signed up yet to the new method and I havn’t had the £1 listings offer for a month or so and I always got it before.

I think they are putting restrictions on people who have not signed up . I also have had no £1 listing offers for quite a while now. Selling and listing restrictions will come next. 

Ebay still owns paypal and will gain income from the £12 yearly fee for inactive paypal accounts 

Not sure I want to post any PM and not get the payment into my bank account for over two working days . From what I have read the buyer has to say that he has received the package so will it be two working days after that . Sounds very risky to me .

27 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Not sure I want to post any PM and not get the payment into my bank account for over two working days . From what I have read the buyer has to say that he has received the package so will it be two working days after that . Sounds very risky to me .

Yes, I totally agree - very risky - especially now with Covid - we haven't signed for any post for about a year, parcels just left in the porch;

rather defeats the purpose of signed for proof of delivery - they could photo it in the porch as 'proof' - then take it back away ....... 😲

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

1 hour ago, Midasfrog said:

Ebay still owns paypal and will gain income from the £12 yearly fee for inactive paypal accounts 

Not since 2015. It was spun out from ebay and the majority shareholders are now investment companies like vanguard, blackrock etc.

If fact, PayPal is worth about 10x what eBay is currently. 

7 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

Not since 2015. It was spun out from ebay and the majority shareholders are now investment companies like vanguard, blackrock etc.

If fact, PayPal is worth about 10x what eBay is currently. 

Why did ebay have to transfer paypals fees over to ebay even the 30p per item fee . Seems very greedy to me . Do you think people will be less likely to use ebay as a selling platform . Im just about to sell a car and will be selling it using local media groups and facebook without any selling fees , stuff ebay 😅

5 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Why did ebay have to transfer paypals fees over to ebay even the 30p per item fee . Seems very greedy to me . Do you think people will be less likely to use ebay as a selling platform . Im just about to sell a car and will be selling it using local media groups and facebook without any selling fees , stuff ebay 😅

They didn't have to. Presumably they just think that's what will make them the most money. 

Without a fees deal my prices go up, so they sell less!

All my sales get posted after 3 days (once managed payment clears) and I state in description that funds must clear to my bank before I despatch item, so buyers get things slower than they used too.

So more expensive and slower! 🤷‍♂️ 

Not the best business decision to me but if the sheep all carry on as normal then eBay wins I guess. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Out of interest, what are your concerns with the delay in receiving payment from eBay that stop you from wanting to post the items promptly? I appreciate it's inconvenient and annoying to have to wait for the money but the buyer has paid and it's just a matter of eBay processing the payment for you. There's zero chance of eBay not paying up so personally I wouldn't want to make the buyer wait and would prefer to provide a better service. Am I missing something?

2 hours ago, BullionMan89 said:

Out of interest, what are your concerns with the delay in receiving payment from eBay that stop you from wanting to post the items promptly? I appreciate it's inconvenient and annoying to have to wait for the money but the buyer has paid and it's just a matter of eBay processing the payment for you. There's zero chance of eBay not paying up so personally I wouldn't want to make the buyer wait and would prefer to provide a better service. Am I missing something?

You post a £5,000 coin before you have the money in the bank!

You post, they receive next day and claim off eBay. You lose the coin. I never post anything until PayPal funds are in my bank even under the old system but that was within seconds- eBay’s is up to 3 days 

Edited by MancunianStacker

7 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

So not true 😂 

Exactly - my friend selling gold jeweler etc, etc, has even had items returned in different boxes - and that's before we even start talking about the item itself ..........

11 minutes ago, BullionMan89 said:

If they find a way to win a claim eBay will charge the money back anyway surely?

Good luck. The money gets moved from my linked account to another account immediately and there’s no overdraft for them to dip into either.

I video record all sales sealed into boxes and will see them in court if they try it on. Them and eBay. 

Question linked to this new eBay managed system.

I made a purchase on eBay recently and the item arrived all safe and sound no issues. I gave feedback as normal.

The seller contacted me though saying I have to notify eBay (by ticking a box somewhere) to advise them that the item has been delivered so that eBay release the payment to him. Sounds like the new system from what I've read on here. The problem is though I have no idea where this box to tick is and can see no way where I can confirm arrival.

Am I missing something?

I'm still on the old system via PayPal, maybe this is why?

2 hours ago, SidS said:

Question linked to this new eBay managed system.

I made a purchase on eBay recently and the item arrived all safe and sound no issues. I gave feedback as normal.

The seller contacted me though saying I have to notify eBay (by ticking a box somewhere) to advise them that the item has been delivered so that eBay release the payment to him. Sounds like the new system from what I've read on here. The problem is though I have no idea where this box to tick is and can see no way where I can confirm arrival.

Am I missing something?

I'm still on the old system via PayPal, maybe this is why?

Did the seller provide tracking? eBay can withhold the payment (or under the old system request PayPal withhold it) if they deem necessary. It's usually because the seller is new, hasn't sold anything for a while or has sold a certain number of items that eBay wants to see delivered before releasing the funds. This is usually cleared when tracking shows delivered or buyer leaves positive feedback.

Not sure what tick box he's referring to so I assume you're right in it being a new feature. Maybe it's in your purchases list? I've sold stuff through new system and not had any withheld payment issues, so I do hope this isn't a more frequent occurrence for all sellers.... 

I’ve completley stopped selling anything through eBay now. I sold something, not precious metals, but to the value of £100.

I contacted the seller to say it had been dispatched. The seller replied and thanked me for notifying them of the date it would arrive. Items dispatched and the tracking shows dispatched.

Four weeks later, I received an email from eBay informing me that the buyer had opened a chargeback from their bank and the reason given as “Tge seller does not recognise the transaction”. I supplied the tracking information to eBay and proof of delivery, eBay took the funds automatically and refunded the buyer.

I’ve lost the goods and £100!! This is still ongoing and I’ve now reported this buyer for fraud. eBay were useless to help and to make matters worse charges me £14 to issue the funds the took back to the buyer. I would never sell anything through eBay again.

@Foster88

Sincere commiserations Foster - This potential issue exactly what I was trying to explain in my earlier post/s in this thread.

It's made worse since Covid stopped buyers having to sign, which by now should have been.

If you wish to get anywhere, you should open a case against ebay in the small claims court - only costs £25-00

- then look for threads and make some noise in their community sellers forum and also you may consider emailing Martin Lesis at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com

If enough people take this route, maybe ebay will be forced to change somehow.

I wish you well - under the circumstances - for me such things become more about the principle than the lost money often.

43 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

I’ve completley stopped selling anything through eBay now. I sold something, not precious metals, but to the value of £100.

I contacted the seller to say it had been dispatched. The seller replied and thanked me for notifying them of the date it would arrive. Items dispatched and the tracking shows dispatched.

Four weeks later, I received an email from eBay informing me that the buyer had opened a chargeback from their bank and the reason given as “Tge seller does not recognise the transaction”. I supplied the tracking information to eBay and proof of delivery, eBay took the funds automatically and refunded the buyer.

I’ve lost the goods and £100!! This is still ongoing and I’ve now reported this buyer for fraud. eBay were useless to help and to make matters worse charges me £14 to issue the funds the took back to the buyer. I would never sell anything through eBay again.

I do hope you get this resolved. Hate hearing these horror stories with dishonest people.

20 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

I do hope you get this resolved. Hate hearing these horror stories with dishonest people.

It’s the first time I’ve had this happen through eBay and it’s a shame that it’s up me off ever selling with them again.

ebay always sides with the buyer and despite me providing them with everything they asked including proof of delivery the buyer got a refund and didn’t even return the goods.

I know of someone who once sold a car part worth over £400, the buyer said they wanted to return it as it was faulty, it wasn’t. The buyer opened a case and returned the item. They actually returned an empty box!!

They gave the ‘proof of delivery’ for the return of an empty box and got a full refund, they kept the item and he lost close to £400.

Ebay is becoming an untrustworthy place to sell. If you walked into a supermarket and filled a trolley with food and walked out without paying you’d be arrested. It shouldn’t be any different with eBay but sadly too many people are getting away with it.

This is reason why I’ve reported this buyer for fraud.

2 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

It’s the first time I’ve had this happen through eBay and it’s a shame that it’s up me off ever selling with them again.

ebay always sides with the buyer and despite me providing them with everything they asked including proof of delivery the buyer got a refund and didn’t even return the goods.

I know of someone who once sold a car part worth over £400, the buyer said they wanted to return it as it was faulty, it wasn’t. The buyer opened a case and returned the item. They actually returned an empty box!!

They gave the ‘proof of delivery’ for the return of an empty box and got a full refund, they kept the item and he lost close to £400.

Ebay is becoming an untrustworthy place to sell. If you walked into a supermarket and filled a trolley with food and walked out without paying you’d be arrested. It shouldn’t be any different with eBay but sadly too many people are getting away with it.

This is reason why I’ve reported this buyer for fraud.

Open a case against the buyer and list eBay as accessory to theft or fraud..that would get them in the papers which might cause a reaction that benefits you and everyone..its bad enough they are quite fine with selling stolen goods when the culprits are caught having sold their items on fleabay they state they are a service but so is a middle man.