• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ebay - New Managed Payments System and Rules

Becca

Interesting. I've had this enabled on my account for a few months now although I've not sold any silver through it yet. I guess I will hold off on that until they have figured out how it applies to coin stuff! Thanks for making me aware of it!

Currently coins have a 10% final value fee + plus third party payment fees 

With the new Managed payment scheme for private sellers Ebay are quoting 12.8 % plus a fixed charge of 30p as the total final value cost that includes payment fees. This applies for a single item sale up to £2500. If you sell an item that is more than £2500 you will pay 3% on the portion of the sale price above that figure.

Not sure if they will tweek this for coins when that category is activated or if the above is the standard for all ?

Edited by Fivepoundfred

1 hour ago, Fivepoundfred said:

Currently coins have a 10% final value fee + plus third party payment fees 

With the new Managed payment scheme for private sellers Ebay are quoting 12.8 % plus a fixed charge of 30p as the total final value cost that includes payment fees. However i believe there may be further add ons if the sale exceeds £2500, not checked that out yet !

Not sure if they will tweek this for coins when that category is activated or if the above is the standard for all ?

I only sell on eBay when they have the £1.00 max selling fees as I would be selling below my initial cost.
If silver went to £30 spot then that's a different scenario.
This offer has been appearing regularly so I guess they are actively seeking new business.
PayPal has been taking 3.5% so 2.8% is a better deal and would eliminate the mess of any claims when there can be confusion between eBay protection and PayPal protection.
I prefer to pay for eBay purchases via PayPal because payment is linked to a credit card providing another layer of protection that would not be offered using a bank account.

I got moved on to managed payments a few days ago and am now unable to list coins for sale. I spoke to them on live chat as Becca did and was told I’d be unable to list until the coins category was approved for managed payments too. The lady I spoke to said this will happen on the 9th March so hopefully it’s just a few more days.

I think the fees work out slightly more to eBay but once you save the Paypal fees you’re slightly better off on managed payments - no good if you can’t list though obviously! @Becca my advice would be to stay off managed payments as long as possible or at least until they’ve sorted it out

15 hours ago, Witcher said:

Is it just me or does this seem like it's an easier way for government to track and tax private sales?  

One thing for sure...  changes are NEVER made for YOUR benefit.  

Realistically, any government can/could ask a potential seller for the PayPal information of any given year/month/day which holds all sales and buyers if they were being audited.

The change is more for eBays benefit and profit, I don't see any conspiratorial intent here. 

eBay already tends to handle import taxes/VAT where applicable so I can't see this change helping or hindering that in any way.

Thanks for the information Becca, interesting read.

I believe buyers will still be able use PayPal as their payment method, and so will still have 45 day protection. 
I really don’t like the sound of this at all. I much preferred having PayPal as a holding account between eBay and my bank.

and the only advantage for us is a reduction in fees from 3.5% to 2.8?

ive been asked to join, I have until end of the month to accept. I think I’ll ask them to hold off and put me in later. Doubt they’ll agree but worth a try

also, they have previously said you won’t be allowed to sell bullion. Does this mean they will categorise some coins as bullion, since that’s exactly what some coins are? In which case, where would semi-numismatics go?

this all sounds disastrous for average Joe sellers and will only work out well for companies.

Is it still able to do so over there.  Seems only not allowing to do so for listing of over GBP1000, but not 100% sure correct or not.

Following is extracted from ebay, "Listings for current, exchangeable, ungraded currency from any country worldwide cannot exceed £1,000 in value, whether in a single listing or in a combination of multiple listings."

Ebay should use a gravestone as their new logo. I'm serious about that. They screwed a lot of people tryin to just get by. I mainly blame the policy makers though. They're intentionally making a lot of people suffer i think on purpose. They will be shooting themselves in the foot as usual with their decision making. Ultimately this is all about control because we all know they are losing it just as rome did tightening their grip before ultimately everyone will have no choice but to walk away.

On 05/03/2021 at 10:51, SilverJacks said:

I believe buyers will still be able use PayPal as their payment method, and so will still have 45 day protection. 
I really don’t like the sound of this at all. I much preferred having PayPal as a holding account between eBay and my bank.

and the only advantage for us is a reduction in fees from 3.5% to 2.8?

ive been asked to join, I have until end of the month to accept. I think I’ll ask them to hold off and put me in later. Doubt they’ll agree but worth a try

also, they have previously said you won’t be allowed to sell bullion. Does this mean they will categorise some coins as bullion, since that’s exactly what some coins are? In which case, where would semi-numismatics go?

this all sounds disastrous for average Joe sellers and will only work out well for companies.

In theory coins such as sovereigns are currency so would be fine. A case of watch and see.

So it's the 9th March and I still can't list due to managed payments. I've tried to speak to them on live chat but keep getting transferred between departments and can't get a straight answer. They also cut me off twice so I'll try again later.

If anyone gets any answers from them please keep us all informed.

• 3 weeks later...

My deadline is april 30th  for the new payment system. Did someone manage to list a coin above 1000€, or £1000 ?

This is the value restriction I see in their new policy, but there could be  an exception with graded coins 

Hello, I'm new here. 

I'm still waiting to hear from Ebay about setting up managed payments for my US account. Has anyone else with a US had any luck switching over to ebay managed payments?

Trying to avoid Paypal as much as possible these days...

Just now, SilverJacks said:

Can anyone on the new managed payments confirm whether bullion is allowed for sellers yet? if ever...

yep, I put both coins and bullion on.... 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.