• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Double Sovereign

Smiler999

Very nice to hold and look at IMO. Personally they’re my favourite “size” of sovereign.

They’re about as liquid as a half oz I suppose, so make of that what you will. I’ve sold double sovs on here before and they sold within the day, but that all depends on how you price them of course.

Speaking of gold specifically, everything reasonably priced seems to sell well on here regardless of size. If you’re out to take scalps then be prepared for it to hang around for a while.

Whether you have a half sovereign, full, double or even quintuple ( and that's a real beauty ) - all will sell immediately or within a few hours if the price is right.
For every percent over spot + 3% for example, there will be hesitation from buyers so the timeframe to find a buyer will rise exponentially with margin over spot.
Gold is flipped all the time and the charts will show volatility so timing is often a reason for sudden buy decisions or wait and see.
Smart buyers on the forum know precisely what they want to pay and most probably don't care if the coin is a full sovereign or double sovereign as they are buying gold as inexpensively as they can.
There will be exceptions and collectors looking for something different or a special date that will pay more of course.

I had a look at the new 2021 DS on RM yesterday and then headed back over the my dealer's website and realised I could buy two normal new sovereigns for a few £ less than the DS in RM.  So if that's still the case when I make my monthly purchase next month, I will just grab the normal ones lol. 

2 minutes ago, Nugget said:

I had a look at the new 2021 DS on RM yesterday and then headed back over the my dealer's website and realised I could buy two normal new sovereigns for a few £ less than the DS in RM.  So if that's still the case when I make my monthly purchase next month, I will just grab the normal ones lol. 

I tend to find RM premiums a bit hefty than the usual selection of dealers

9 minutes ago, Smiler999 said:

I tend to find RM premiums a bit hefty than the usual selection of dealers

Yes I figured that lol.

Hopefully my dealer gets some in later in the year. 

On 03/03/2021 at 19:40, Shep said:

Very nice to hold and look at IMO. Personally they’re my favourite “size” of sovereign.

They’re about as liquid as a half oz I suppose, so make of that what you will. I’ve sold double sovs on here before and they sold within the day, but that all depends on how you price them of course.

Speaking of gold specifically, everything reasonably priced seems to sell well on here regardless of size. If you’re out to take scalps then be prepared for it to hang around for a while.

Agree, and it's my favorite size too...

I've read a couple of articles in the past, about the size(s) of gold coins that people prefer to stack.
One article was about Gold American Eagles (GAEs) and the second article was about the different types (sizes) of  Sovereigns people prefer to collect.

So, in the case of GAEs, the size that people prefer to stack was, in order of preference, the following:
1. 1 Oz and 1/10 of an Oz (there was a very slight difference between the two, the second one being at the top of the list).
2. 1/4 of an Oz.
3. 1/2 Oz.

In the case of Sovereigns the order of preference, was the following:
1. Sovereign 
2. Quintaple Sovereign 
3. Half Sovereign
4. Double Sovereign
Again, as was also the case with AGEs, the difference between the Sov and the Quintuple was small, the Quintuple attracting lots of interest from wealthy individuals, particularly from Asia.
The Quarter Sov was not included in the list (unsurprisingly in my view, as the size is very small and the coin bears absolutely no historical provenance).

So, it's interesting to see how finding in both articles, more or less, coincide, in terms of approximate size(s) people prefer to stack/collect and I guess that answers a lot of questions.

Certainly, as already mentioned by other Silver Forum members, everything sells for the "right" price, BUT (and that's an important "but"), as I believe we need to compare apples-with-apples and organges-with-oranges, if you list for sale different types of Sovereigns, ALL listing bearing the same premium over spot ("apples-with-apples" comparison), then I guess the order of interest you'll attract from potential buyers will most probably "abide" by the findings of the two articles I mentioned above.

On the other hand, I've also noticed that finding gold coins for reasonable and fair premiums over spot in the US during the last couple of months, tends to be an ever more challenging endeavor and I believe that is probably also the case in Europe and the UK for that matter.
It's funny how people used to scorn the 1/2 oz GAEs a year or so ago and now they cheer when they manage to find one for a reasonable premium over spot at their local coin shop.
So I guess it won't probably matter that much after all, whether you put on sale a Sov or a Double Sov, in case the need to liquidate ever arises in the future.

Hi, @Smiler999,

If you will decide to sell your double sovereigns, you will sell them as quick as a full sovereign, with no reluctance from buyers.

About price, they are selling the same price per gram if are bullion. For example, check at any bullion dealer online and you will see a full sovereign they are buying at £286 and a double at £572 ( Atkins's price at this moment. ) Of course, it is better to sell them just a little over spot on here.

So, don't worry about the selling moment. Always you will find a buyer 

Cheers!

Stefan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2021 at 10:19, Smiler999 said:

Just wondering people's opinion on these, are they easily moved on when the time comes to liquidate the stack?

Its not a coin I see much of in the for sale section 

You probably don't see many here because the Royal Mint tend to treat them as a "value added" product, and ask slighly higher premiums than for bullion sovereigns.

We declined to stock the 2020 when they first came out, for that reason. We have had them in stock for a few months now. This is our page for them which includes some dealer price comparisons:

https://www.chards.co.uk/2020-gold-double-sovereign-uncirculated-coin/13694

The RM don't appear to have 2020 on sale any more, and their 2021 says "Awaiting Stock".

If I remember correctly @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer did a TSF special offer on them when we first got them in stock.

Chards

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

You probably don't see many here because the Royal Mint tend to treat them as a "value added" product, and ask slighly higher premiums than for bullion sovereigns.

We declined to stock the 2020 when they first came out, for that reason. We have had them in stock for a few months now. This is our page for them which includes some dealer price comparisons:

https://www.chards.co.uk/2020-gold-double-sovereign-uncirculated-coin/13694

The RM don't appear to have 2020 on sale any more, and their 2021 says "Awaiting Stock".

If I remember correctly @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer did a TSF special offer on them when we first got them in stock.

I bought 1 2020 double sovereign from Chards a month ago, which is my favourable size and fit my old eyes...ha.  Thanks Lawrence, your team is professional and always helpful on answering queries and providing information and solutions.👍  

14 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

I bought 1 2020 double sovereign from Chards a month ago, which is my favourable size and fit my old eyes...ha.  Thanks Lawrence, your team is professional and always helpful on answering queries and providing information and solutions.👍  

I bought one from chards £714 posted it's still bringing tears to my eyes.

Double sovereign is a lovely size in my opinion.  Once I have collected a 2022 bullion sovereign I suspect that virtually all my future sovereign-coin-family purchases will be doubles.

Big enough to feel like you're getting value for your money, and not so expensive that you can only buy them once in a blue moon.

Archived