• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The 95th Birthday of Her Majesty The Queen

On 02/03/2021 at 16:10, Elliefran said:

I think the 1/4oz gold is beautiful. 

But I think Manc in onto something in choosing to wait. 

I think I’ll revisit next month and take a chance on a lower price. 

The gold proof quarter oz is now sold out - not sure how many of them would have gone to dealers and if so, what price they'd pitch them at?

1396300239_95thBirthdayGoldproofquarteroz.thumb.JPG.fd9fbee4a6812aa4b85b3f58400be2d9.JPG

4 hours ago, westminstrel said:

What does “frosted” mean?

Is it a matte Sovereign? Proof Sovereign? 🤔 

A frosted finish, is where they sand blast the design on the dyes to give a frosted look when they mint the coins.

If it's fully frosted, I think this is classed as a BU coin (Brilliant Uncirculated), like the 2021 sovereign.

If parts of the design are frosted and other parts are mirrored, then this is likely to be a proof coin, which makes the design leap off the coin - absolutely stunning when you have one in hand! 😃

I think that matte finishes are classed as BU (Brilliant Uncirculated). 

Bullion is classed as the lowest finish, then there's BU and then there's proof finish.  I think some coins are classed as bullion, like the Chinese panda's, but their finish on one side (the temple of heaven side), to my eye, is a proof finish.

As a collector, I much prefer a proof finish.

Edited by GoldenGriffin

36 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

A frosted finish, is where they sand blast the design on the dyes to give a frosted look when they mint the coins.

If it's fully frosted, I think this is classed as a BU coin (Brilliant Uncirculated), like the 2021 sovereign.

If parts of the design are frosted and other parts are mirrored, then this is likely to a proof coin, which makes the design leap off the coin - absolutely stunning when you have one in hand! 😃

I think that matte finishes are classed as BU (Brilliant Uncirculated). 

Bullion is classed as the lowest finish, then there's BU and then there's proof finish.  I think some coins are classed as bullion, like the Chinese panda's, but their finish on one side (the temple of heaven side), to my eye, is a proof finish.

As a collector, I much prefer a proof finish.

I had to re-read your post. 😅

So basically frosted and matte have different looks even though they are both classed as BU?

I’m curious if the RM has ever done a fully frosted Sovereign before.

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

I had to re-read your post. 😅

So basically frosted and matte have different looks even though they are both classed as BU?

I’m curious if the RM has ever done a fully frosted Sovereign before.

Sorry, it's not that straight forward to explain, someone could probably do a better job at explaining this, than me! 😅

When the coin is fully frosted, I think they class that as a matte finish, which is BU, like this sovereign 95th Birthday of the Queen Celebration Sovereign | The Royal Mint - take a look at the specification near the bottom of the page, where it says brilliant uncirculated and fully frosted obverse and reverse.  The RM have minted matte finished sovereigns before.

A part frosted coin with a mirrored finish involves more work and you would tend to pay a bigger premium for the coin, like the proof Griffin in my profile.

So, a bullion, BU and proof coin, depends on the finish (you could say it depends on the 'finish' on both sides of the coin, to an extent) and the premium you pay for the coin.

Hope that makes sense. 😃

Edited by GoldenGriffin

6 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Thanks @GoldenGriffin- it’s not you, it’s me. 😅

I’ll be curious to see comparison pics if anyone here gets the new SotD Sovereign vs one of the matte Sovereigns released lately.

SOTD sovereigns usually have plain edges.

On 03/03/2021 at 10:44, TheMadKing said:

Awesome, I see that's for £640. I wonder what the RM price will be. £640 doesn't sound too crazy, when compared to previous SOTD's. 

I think this coin should sell out within the first day at the Mint, unlike the Decimal Day 50p. I just feel it in my gut, there is still strong interest in special sovereigns. Mintage not too crazy, and this is an important birthday for the Queen. 

2 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

Awesome, I see that's for £640. I wonder what the RM price will be. £640 doesn't sound too crazy, when compared to previous SOTD's. 

I think this coin should sell out within the first day at the Mint, unlike the Decimal Day 50p. I just feel it in my gut, there is still strong interest in special sovereigns. Mintage not too crazy, and this is an important birthday for the Queen. 

I also think so, normally the Royal Mint have them around the same price, I got mine for £636 using "Grace" coupon, just glad now I don't have to get up early and try to rush filling in info and getting card declined lol

• 5 weeks later...
On 04/03/2021 at 09:20, GoldenGriffin said:

The gold proof quarter oz is now sold out - not sure how many of them would have gone to dealers and if so, what price they'd pitch them at?

1396300239_95thBirthdayGoldproofquarteroz.thumb.JPG.fd9fbee4a6812aa4b85b3f58400be2d9.JPG

A month later and the quarter oz gold coins are now back in stock!

RM wouldn't manipulate the sales status just after release to encourage sales would they!? 🤣

And it's £10 less.

Still like the coin though.

Screenshot_20210406-144219_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210406-144239_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by GoldenGriffin

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the deal with the strike on the day sovereign? It's the Queen 's birthday today, but nothing on the website yet, and no email. The former link to that coin is now "not found". 

I called, and the guy who answered says he doesn't know anything and that I should check back again later or wait for the email. This is very unusual... and to make matters worse, the Coin Connection presale is sold out. 

11 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

So what's the deal with the strike on the day sovereign? It's the Queen 's birthday today, but nothing on the website yet, and no email. The former link to that coin is now "not found". 

I called, and the guy who answered says he doesn't know anything and that I should check back again later or wait for the email. This is very unusual... and to make matters worse, the Coin Connection presale is sold out. 

Hi,

As far as I am aware, the release has been pushed (to June?).

10 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Coin Connection sent an email out last week saying the SOTD release had been put back to 12th June (Queen's official birthday).  Maybe contact CC directly and see if they will have any available, because in the email they were giving customers the chance to cancel their orders.

Just now, Zhorro said:

Coin Connection sent an email out last week saying the SOTD release had been put back to 12th June (Queen's official birthday).  Maybe contact CC directly and see if they will have any available, because in the email they were giving customers the chance to cancel their orders.

Thank you very much for the information!! 

• 1 month later...

I was randomly browsing the RM site and noticed the two art prints by Timothy Noad and Gary Breeze seem to be back in stock.

Just thought I’d share that info here in case anyone wanted to get one but missed out.

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-95th-birthday-of-her-majesty-the-queen/

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I was randomly browsing the RM site and noticed the two art prints by Timothy Noad and Gary Breeze seem to be back in stock.

Just thought I’d share that info here in case anyone wanted to get one but missed out.

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-95th-birthday-of-her-majesty-the-queen/

I bought these on the day of release. My intention was to get them framed but after considering whether to return them or not (not keen on them in hand), I decided to just keep them in their packaging and leave them for a few years as an investment to see what happens. I haven’t seen any for sale elsewhere and did think it was a bit of punt that may have failed! The fact they are back in stock suggests other may have the same feeling. I guess the Mint are still accepting returns?

I did wonder if these were “change of mind” returns.

I am a big Tolkien fan, and for some releases of illustrated editions, the publisher (Harper Collins) got the illustrator Alan Lee to do some small pencil sketches and sign some limited number of copies. To me these would be worth the money.

If the RM had somehow got these coin designers to hand sketch stuff and sign them, I’d personally jump to get a copy.

Having said that, it’s still early days. Your gamble may pay off in the long run. 🙂

@AndrewSL76- I will see if I can get my hands on one.

£630 seems high, but I guess all the SotDs have increased now. Still, it’s cheaper than others like the Brexit SotD.

Was £630 the RM price or Chards? I know Chards had taken preorders but then took down their listing when the released got postponed.