• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Will playing the waiting game pay off?

HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Im not convinced the wait game will pay off. Hes a caged slave until he hands over his property to the state and no other paper pushing or political correctness can cover up that fact.

Good find thought, HB. I havent been through ZeroHedge in weeks due to the Christmas consumption/insanity - but this event demonstrates the same totalitarianism thats being conducted in China. But make no doubt about it, the Liberals and Sheeple will deny this isnt the same totalitarianism simply because theres Star-Spangled Banners in the courts.

Lot of gold isn't it. Mind you if he's welching out the deal

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

2 hours ago, Minimalist said:

Im not convinced the wait game will pay off. Hes a caged slave until he hands over his property to the state and no other paper pushing or political correctness can cover up that fact.

According to article, he was paid to recover gold and kept some for himself.  He's in a private contract with an individual and the courts are enforcing that. 

5 minutes ago, Martlet said:

He's in a private contract with an individual and the courts are enforcing that. 

His company has the rights to the Gold.

"Columbus-America Discovery Group, owned by fugitive treasure hunter Tommy Thompson, argues that it has the exclusive rights to the treasure from the shipwreck."

3 hours ago, Minimalist said:

His company has the rights to the Gold.

"Columbus-America Discovery Group, owned by fugitive treasure hunter Tommy Thompson, argues that it has the exclusive rights to the treasure from the shipwreck."

No, his company "argues that it has the exclusive rights" (which is rather different).

26 minutes ago, Minimalist said:

You can go down that legal terminology route all you want. Its his Gold whether you like it or not.

That manifestly isnt the case, there is litigation from investors on how much was recovered and who owns what.  

Reading further, it seems he was paid $12m to do the salvage work, found lots of gold but the investors were never paid back. So they sued to recover the gold or proceeds of their sale. They got some back but some gold is unaccounted for, so case against Thompson continues. He refuses to cooperate, putting him in contempt of court and in jail. 

Edited by Martlet

51 minutes ago, Northerner said:

that the company is wrong.

See, most of these notifications I get in this thread by two users in here are dishonest, disingenuous and inflammatory. People behind accounts debating for the sake of it… Attempting to bait by firstly resorting to non-colloquialist language by insinuating that the Corporation is in doubt while simultaneously refusing to admit the Corporation is one of the Parties in this case… Its pathetic and infantile behaviour. Pure agenda driven to disagree for the sake of it. Arguing with facts. Weird behaviour to be honest.

16 hours ago, Minimalist said:

Against the company… Right?

The articles do not make that clear either way.  I fail to see the importance, Tommy Thompson was held in contempt of court for failing to produce the gold or its whereabouts.  Bottom line is, this case has nothing to do with the state, its private individuals in contract dispute.

2 hours ago, Minimalist said:

See, most of these notifications I get in this thread by two users in here are dishonest, disingenuous and inflammatory. People behind accounts debating for the sake of it… [snip]

Well, that comment seems rather defamatory to me. 

(And FYI this a discussion forum... debating is the whole point of the place). 

3 minutes ago, Northerner said:

Well, that comment seems rather defamatory to me. 

(And FYI this a discussion forum... debating is the whole point of the place). 

My point is you were debating for the sake of it. You were reluctant to admit the company was one of the parties, literally resorting to saying the company is wrong blah blah to deny the company in its singularity in relation my question. Its actual weird behaviour. Im under no illusions that its agenda driven.

Edited by Minimalist

25 minutes ago, Minimalist said:

My point is you were debating for the sake of it. You were reluctant to admit the company was one of the parties - instead you gave your philisophical point by stating the company is wrong when I never even asked you to produce such statement other than make you admit the company exists. You dont everything to not do that. Its actual weird behaviour.

No post exists in which I was "reluctant to admit the company was one of the parties" or stated that the "company is wrong".

My point was simply that possessing something does not make you the legal owner of it; in this case the courts will decide.

Edited by Northerner

6 minutes ago, Northerner said:

No, you claimed that I and another user are being "dishonest, disingenuous and inflammatory".

By the way, no post exists in which I was "reluctant to admit the company was one of the parties" or stated that the "company is wrong".

Anyway, my point was simply that possessing something does not make you the legal owner of it; in this case the courts will decide.

Of course you were, you wouldnt admit the company as a singularity. Instead of admitting it, you resorted to engaging into a light politically correct triade that the company is wrong. Dont deny it.

Edited by Minimalist

1 minute ago, Minimalist said:

Of course you were, you wouldnt admit the company as a singularity. You went into a light politically correct triade that the company is "wrong". Dont deny it.

I said "...the court may well agree with the investors that the company is wrong."

Do you see the word "may" there?  It means "expressing a possibility" according to my dictionary.

I don't know where you get political correctness, a tirade, or the company as a singularity from, but whatever... :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Hunter87 said:

So all he has to do is serve 5 years then he is off the hook? 

I am not sure what powers the courts have wether to extend his custodial sentence. It probably varies from state to state

• 6 months later...

This is like a disgusting microcosm of the blind & short sighted greed, selfishness & power that America
(british/spanish/french/nazi empires) was and has become an expert at now. Sickening really. 

Imagine all the indigenous lives, environmental destruction & also prospector lives & slaves etc. that suffered for what is only a little bit of metal. :(
Not that I would say no to 4million in gold. Look at the irony - its like Saurons ring isnt it!! 

Edited by Stacktastic

6 hours ago, Stacktastic said:

This is like a disgusting microcosm of the blind & short sighted greed, selfishness & power that America
(british/spanish/french/nazi empires) was and has become an expert at now. Sickening really. 

Imagine all the indigenous lives, environmental destruction & also prospector lives & slaves etc. that suffered for what is only a little bit of metal. :(
Not that I would say no to 4million in gold. Look at the irony - its like Saurons ring isnt it!! 

My Precious.......