• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Tips for Silver Stacking & Collecting for Newbies

McDougall

Hello, 

I’m new to Stacking/Collecting Silver and or other coins and precious metals so I thought I’d ask TheSilverForum’s collective minds and try to gain a fraction of your knowledge in this particular area.

Any tips and or advice welcome to get me started.

Thank you 😃

McDougall

Right now premiums are high for a lot of things.  Try to buy the best metal you can for the lowest premium.  Collector coins can be tempting but if you're just stacking weight it doesn't matter as much.  There have been some good deals on Britannias recently.  ASE are way over spot so I've been avoiding those.  Shop around and take shipping costs into account.  

Here is my list of biggest tips about stacking silver from what i've learnt from stacking the past 11 years

1. I wish i had just bought gold from Day 1 now

{The End}

3 hours ago, Horse said:

Right now premiums are high for a lot of things.  Try to buy the best metal you can for the lowest premium.  Collector coins can be tempting but if you're just stacking weight it doesn't matter as much.  There have been some good deals on Britannias recently.  ASE are way over spot so I've been avoiding those.  Shop around and take shipping costs into account.  

Thank you I’ll try to keep a eye open for good deals, hopefully the premium will go down soon 😃

2 hours ago, Coolsmp said:

Sales section usually has good deals. Much better price than buying from dealers. I have some various silver coins up at the moment.

Thank you, I’ll have a look on there 👍🏼 What type of coins do you mostly sell?

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Here is my list of biggest tips about stacking silver from what i've learnt from stacking the past 11 years

1. I wish i had just bought gold from Day 1 now

{The End}

😂👍🏼 I think Gold is moving faster than my bank balance atm 😝 

For silver - 1oz coins are by far the most sought after and generally affordable for most people. The 10oz Queens Beasts are a worthy set to collect as well. For gold you can't really go wrong with Sovereigns but gold is really expensive at the moment 

3 minutes ago, Coolsmp said:

For silver - 1oz coins are by far the most sought after and generally affordable for most people. The 10oz Queens Beasts are a worthy set to collect as well. For gold you can't really go wrong with Sovereigns but gold is really expensive at the moment 

Thank you for the advice, I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the beasts and I’ll have a look at your coins you got up for sale 👍🏼

10oz silver bars seem to sell quickly here. They're quite a good size to get a lower premium while still being not too big to put off more casual buyers. In retrospect I wish I'd bought more of them than 1oz coins, but that's just my opinion and may not work for you. 

Gold sovereigns are always a safe bet and should have a low premium. 

I usually go for weight (stacking) rather than  getting caught up in various designs or series or finishes (collecting). It's safer that way! 

1 hour ago, StackerNoob said:

I never do this, but im gonna go ahead and plug one of my videos from a while ago on this very topic:

Thank you, 

Good Tips ! 👍🏼 And very good editing and video 👍🏼  I’ve slipped up on a couple of them already 😅🤫😬 bought everything in sight like a magpie in a jewellery shop 😅.

I think I’ll take a couple steps back and plan a bit better.

cheers for the advice 

McDougall

12 minutes ago, Blockhead said:

10oz silver bars seem to sell quickly here. They're quite a good size to get a lower premium while still being not too big to put off more casual buyers. In retrospect I wish I'd bought more of them than 1oz coins, but that's just my opinion and may not work for you. 

Gold sovereigns are always a safe bet and should have a low premium. 

I usually go for weight (stacking) rather than  getting caught up in various designs or series or finishes (collecting). It's safer that way! 

Thank you, 

I’ll have a look at the 10 oz bars and see if any take my fancy, do you prefer a mint or?

Pamp are very popular. Arguably the most beautiful but unlikely to be the cheapest. Scottsdale also quite popular. 

Vintage bars often command a premium when buying or selling but I don't know much about them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/05/2020 at 20:48, StackerNoob said:

I never do this, but im gonna go ahead and plug one of my videos from a while ago on this very topic:

Just watched your video,

You highlighted something I inherited, a lot of multiple coins from some years, then with gaps.

Still trying to complete some collections and probably paying over the odds but reason for signing up and a challenge I’m sort of enjoying,  with some frustration over the passing of time.

I’ve also found such randomness in the collection, I know it will be difficult to move some on but at least they are more popular minted coins, so hopefully can find buyers in time. Just had difficulty deciding what to let go and other than a bit of sovereign knowledge, I’ve had a lot to learn.

Just wanted to say it’s a really good point you make about random purchases and diving in, I’m sure my old man had a bit of over enthusiasm in his early days, as I can see from all his receipts!

I’m trying to complete the best I can though and good to be on TSF

'if you don't know where you are sailing to, then there are no favourable winds'.

everyone is unique and have a (slightly)different goal in mind. you will always

need an exit strategy for whatever you choose and what you make(profit) is not

necessarily what you get to keep(cgt free?). it's time well spent working on a

strategy suitable for yourself. test that strategy and refine it with newly acquired

experience and understanding. everything has it's purpose, (and time).

HH

Hi all,

I hope @McDougall doesn’t mind me asking a specific newbie question on this thread. I would like to get into silver coin collecting but the variation out there seems somewhat overwhelming. Is there anywhere with a checklist or collection list to guide purchases? Like a list of UK coins/Canadian etc? 

9 minutes ago, Rufinski said:

Hi all,

I hope @McDougall doesn’t mind me asking a specific newbie question on this thread. I would like to get into silver coin collecting but the variation out there seems somewhat overwhelming. Is there anywhere with a checklist or collection list to guide purchases? Like a list of UK coins/Canadian etc? 

👋🏼, if you go onto sites like Bullionbypost.com you’ll find that they break coins and silver into groups like 1oz and then it breaks them up into groups of country origin or a particular collection such as kookaburra or queen beasts 

16 minutes ago, Rufinski said:

Hi all,

if you work out what is the purpose for your silver, then everything about choosing them

will follow.

HH

I think i would really like to start with trying to establish a UK silver coin collection. I want to add to it each month. I wonder if starting with the most recent coins, and working chronologically backwards is a reasonable starting approach.

16 minutes ago, Rufinski said:

I think i would really like to start with trying to establish a UK silver coin collection. I want to add to it each month. I wonder if starting with the most recent coins, and working chronologically backwards is a reasonable starting approach.

Is this collection for fun and as a hobbie or is it more of saving type of deal?

More for fun and as a hobby. I love the thought of having a collection to work towards. I appreciate people are into silver for different reasons. For me, slowly adding to it, and being able to enjoy a completed collection is appealing. 

1 hour ago, Rufinski said:

More for fun and as a hobby. I love the thought of having a collection to work towards. I appreciate people are into silver for different reasons. For me, slowly adding to it, and being able to enjoy a completed collection is appealing. 

Personally I’ve started with 1 from each mint 2020 and the queens beasts have captured my attention but I’d say buy what ever you like the look of and spikes your interest and then you’ll slowly but surely finding your preferred style type 

Archived