• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

To Buy or Not to Buy....but I sooo want to!

Rugbyplayer

I have a bit of a dilemma so I thought I would see what the general consensus on the forum is...

I feel I 'need' to buy something but basically my dilemma is.... 

I've not been stacking particularly long and I'm only sitting on a couple of hundred oz's.....and own no gold and no 1kg silver bars...I've been very clever (I think) with my purchases and have always paid attention to the £/oz which is low and the quality of my stack is good. I am also buying to keep for the long term.

Options would be....

1. Buy that 1kg bar that I've got a hankering for (prob a 1kg Umicore, Arshimo has some of those 🙈)

2. Buy my first ever piece of gold (max value would be around the same price as the 1kg of silver) 

3. Buy a full tube of silver, although I'm not paying inflated money on the standard bullion that's kicking about but would pick up a tube of libs for example. 

4. Do nothing, keep the cash until things calm down

Decisions decisions 

Any advice would be greatfully received.

if I were in your shoes I would buy gold because you already have a lot of silver, so its good to diversify your wealth also gold doesn't take that much space to store it.

The price of both gold and silver will go up a lot in the next few months ( just my opinion ) so I would not take the last option into consideration at all.

My 2 cents:

If you can get some sweet price/oz for silver go for it (which is very hard ATM)

I feel like Gold price is high atm, but who knows where it will stop right? Also if your strategy is to stack more OZ with less £ stick to low premium gold like maples, brits, etc... You could even buy the last 1/4 queens beast if you want something that may apreciate in value. 

If I had hundreds of ozs of silver and zero gold I would diversify in gold. 

I'd definitely start looking at gold if I was in your position, you can find it with much lower premiums even if it's still higher than in normal times.

My ratio is about 75:1 and I think I'm going to try and keep it around this point

I have been paying a bit more for silver than normal but I think that's because I've haven't visited the famous golden arches in over a month 😂

'try and put together a strategy that does not rely on timing the dips.

holding gold will not make you rich(it's a store of value), but might

help to open/encourage opportunities. holding gold has a purpose.

hold up to as much gold as your understanding allows you to, belangp

youtube. strategy and knowledge is more important than timing.

timing should improve with experience.'

the above is what I posted for another member in a similar(ish)

position as yourself. improving your strategy will allow you to focus

on how you want to move forward in the face of an ever changing

world.

HH

3 hours ago, Rugbyplayer said:

I have a bit of a dilemma so I thought I would see what the general consensus on the forum is...

I feel I 'need' to buy something but basically my dilemma is.... 

I've not been stacking particularly long and I'm only sitting on a couple of hundred oz's.....and own no gold and no 1kg silver bars...I've been very clever (I think) with my purchases and have always paid attention to the £/oz which is low and the quality of my stack is good. I am also buying to keep for the long term.

Options would be....

1. Buy that 1kg bar that I've got a hankering for (prob a 1kg Umicore, Arshimo has some of those 🙈)

2. Buy my first ever piece of gold (max value would be around the same price as the 1kg of silver) 

3. Buy a full tube of silver, although I'm not paying inflated money on the standard bullion that's kicking about but would pick up a tube of libs for example. 

4. Do nothing, keep the cash until things calm down

Decisions decisions 

Any advice would be greatfully received.

If you have an ill fitting living room door with squeaky hinge the Silver Bar will be handy.

Personally, I would buy some Gold 😉

Sounds like your itching to buy something, if that's the case just go for some Au as you don't have any and you will hopefully be taken back by the purchase. The kg bars would be my second option. You can always get the kg bar of silver on your next round of purchase

Cheapest quarter Oz of gold I can see is the gold standard coin @ bullion. By post £375 for 1/4oz.  What a great way to kick things off. 

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/small-britannias/14oz-britannia-year/2020-quarter-ounce-gold-standard-25-coin/

Can maybe add an half Sov or full in the mix too. 

Go for the yellow metal this time round,

You should get what makes you happy, but my personal opinion is get some gold. Have a good look around, for the amount you're talking about you have a huge choice of 1/4's, smaller fractional and sovereigns. Depending on how posh the silver you're looking at is maybe a full sovereign and a half sovereign too! 

3 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

Sounds like your itching to buy something, if that's the case just go for some Au as you don't have any and you will hopefully be taken back by the purchase. The kg bars would be my second option. You can always get the kg bar of silver on your next round of purchase

Cheapest quarter Oz of gold I can see is the gold standard coin @ bullion. By post £375 for 1/4oz.  What a great way to kick things off. 

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/small-britannias/14oz-britannia-year/2020-quarter-ounce-gold-standard-25-coin/

Can maybe add an half Sov or full in the mix too. Go for the yellow metal this time round,

Still a good price for that, £368.30 if you consider that special delivery is included in the price.

Just now, Liam84 said:

Still a good price for that, £368.30 if you consider that special delivery is included in the price.

It is, I pulled the trigger and purchased. 

24 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

It’s a great price right now 👍

50 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

Oh no, now I want one too 😲

1 minute ago, Melon said:

Here comes the peer pressure, I was debating in my head shall I or should i not. For the price in the current market it's a good price. 

Do it @Melon 🤣

👀

8 minutes ago, Melon said:

It's still a little spendy premium-wise but what newly minted 1/4 isn't at the moment. I don't reckon these will stay under £400 for long...🙃😉

8 minutes ago, Melon said:

There’s bugger-all else to spend your cash on right now...

In the last few weeks on my days off I could have bought one of these 1/4’s right now- instead of smoking fags and eating packet upon packet  of chocolate biscuits and other trash...

I am trying to limit my cigarette intake by restricting myself to one after every meal- I’m down to 20 meals a day.

7 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

In the last few weeks on my days off I could have bought one of these 1/4’s right now- instead of smoking fags and eating packet upon packet  of chocolate biscuits and other trash...

I am trying to limit my cigarette intake by restricting myself to one after every meal- I’m down to 20 meals a day.

You are smoking the ‘wrong stuff man’..try some weed, you will sleep all afternoon..then the trouble sets in..the ‘munchies’ craving sets in...yes..I was a student 😂👍..just have fun Rich

1 hour ago, Tn21 said:

Here comes the peer pressure, I was debating in my head shall I or should i not. For the price in the current market it's a good price. 

Do it @Melon 🤣

👀

1 hour ago, Liam84 said:

It's still a little spendy premium-wise but what newly minted 1/4 isn't at the moment. I don't reckon these will stay under £400 for long...🙃😉

1 hour ago, richatthecroft said:

It was a close one, I do like that coin... but it's 6x my current average premium % (at purchase), so I can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger. 

Bad Melon! Stop looking at shiny things! 

Archived