• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Kookaburra Gold 2020

Frenchie

Five little birdies arrived today :)

They are lovely little things!

Unfortunately a bit too little for me. These are my first 1/10ths and it's not a size I like very much, just too small. I wish they'd done a 1/4 instead or even better an ounce.

They aren't perfect strikes either - all have a few tiny specks to the leafy left area, which is a bit disappointing given the yearly quality of the silver.

Still at not a huge premium five lovely little coins that add up to a half, always a happy day :D

@CadmiumGreen I hope to be wrong but this may not be the coin to get you hooked on Kooks, get yourself a silver ozer!

6 hours ago, kimchi said:

Unfortunately a bit too little for me. These are my first 1/10ths and it's not a size I like very much, just too small. I wish they'd done a 1/4 instead or even better an ounce.

They aren't perfect strikes either - all have a few tiny specks to the leafy left area, which is a bit disappointing given the yearly quality of the silver.

Still at not a huge premium five lovely little coins that add up to a half, always a happy day :D

@CadmiumGreen I hope to be wrong but this may not be the coin to get you hooked on Kooks, get yourself a silver ozer!

I agree with you...not the one to get me hooked on the Kookaburra. I have been looking at the Kook designs and contemplating. 

These really are lovely, I've gotten over my surprise at how small they are now and been advised to get some better caps (possibly with some foam rings) which would not only better show them off but might stop me losing them 🤣 (Thanks @Oystonousted)

25 minutes ago, CadmiumGreen said:

I agree with you...not the one to get me hooked on the Kookaburra. I have been looking at the Kook designs and contemplating. 

Do you have your gold in hand now, if so what do you think? It's 'the' classic design Kook (the one that started it all) and I think they've generally done a great job on the detail on such a small coin, even if production is not absolutely perfect (should still grade 70s as they are production flaws but I don't see any extra value in grading).

However it's possibly not the design to garner new collectors imvho (especially at this size). Grab yourself a 2020/2019/whatever's cheapest going back to 2016 in 1 oz silver and see you on the 'Kook addicts anonymous' threads! :D.

Edited by kimchi

11 minutes ago, kimchi said:

That's very interesting, thanks! Do you know about all the years they did the Panda privy? Are those and the recent ones the only years?

Yeah those are all the years. I have the #3 NGC kookaburra set and the coin with the highest points I have is the 1997 Panda Privy MS70

Capture.PNG

3172119_Full_Obv.jpg

7 hours ago, kimchi said:

Did you get them off the EM or GS?

i'm still waiting mid Jan from EM they said 

55 minutes ago, kimchi said:

These really are lovely, I've gotten over my surprise at how small they are now and been advised to get some better caps (possibly with some foam rings) which would not only better show them off but might stop me losing them 🤣 (Thanks @Oystonousted)

Do you have your gold in hand now, if so what do you think? It's 'the' classic design Kook (the one that started it all) and I think they've generally done a great job on the detail on such a small coin, even if production is not absolutely perfect (should still grade 70s as they are production flaws but I don't see any extra value in grading).

However it's possibly not the design to garner new collectors imvho (especially at this size). Grab yourself a 2020/2019/whatever's cheapest going back to 2016 in 1 oz silver and see you on the 'Kook addicts anonymous' threads! :D.

Recently received the tiny 1/10 oz gold Kook (need to get a post out after I return from travel)...it is a good little coin in quality Perth Mint fashion. Not a true stunner in the size and agree that a 1/4 oz minimum would have been more of a standout.

I can start a reverse date run, which I do like the 2018 design, even with the one leg perspective. Recommend BU or Proof or Proof High Relief? 

11 minutes ago, silverdocket said:

Did you get them off the EM or GS?

i'm still waiting mid Jan from EM they said 

Mine were from the UK, I managed to negotiate a price I was happy with but it's not the listed price (not sure they are listing at all in fact!) otherwise I would share in public ofc. No cheaper than from Europe or the States but I got them fast, probably with cheaper postage. Yours should be with you very soon I think from EM as they have now landed (a week or so?) :)

10 minutes ago, CadmiumGreen said:

I can start a reverse date run, which I do like the 2018 design, even with the one leg perspective. Recommend BU or Proof or Proof High Relief?

Just get the regular 1oz mate unless the real experts like @motorbikez, @Kookaburracollector and others say different, this is the first time I've dipped my toe into something different than the 'regulars' (I shan't mention the privys...). I would say go for a 2016 or 2017 to see the elegant beauty of some of the recent designs, or 2019 to see more of a modernist take yet a very striking and still beautiful coin, myself :)

On 07/01/2020 at 04:51, kimchi said:

Well at least they didn’t choose grams 

CFB0586B-4A5A-4621-BECF-36C3B05683CA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty quiet on these it seems to me (?).

Apmex price holding steady.

I think there was good advice on this thread about the potential outcome, happy with the price I paid just to have a few as a certain % of an ounce of gold :)

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

250 euro +

9 minutes ago, Monsmoy said:

I have only one Gold 1/10th Kook and it is a 2020, so I was interested in this thread.  Does anyone know what they are worth as at Dec 22?  It seems there are not that many on the market.

Many thanks.