• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I'm new, help

Irvin

Hi all

A couple of weeks ago, silver collecting was mentioned in passing to me, looked into it, and now here I am, proud owner of a single 2oz Queens Beasts Coin:) I've a whole load of lurking to do here just to get my head around all of this. To start with I want to get some Royal Mint Silver, mix of 1, 2 and 10oz, I love the 10oz Valiant, but is there a general consensus on whether the 2018 or 2019 is the better buy? Leaning towards the 2018 on looks alone.... Is the 10oz Griffin still a good investment at c£305? I've a couple hundred quid burning a hole in my pocket and if I don't spend it, the missus will😂

If any of you fancy sharing any pearls of wisdom, I'd be totally grateful! 

Irvin 

Welcome to TSF!

I got into it in very much the same way 🤣. One little comment in passing and a google search got me hooked!

The Queens Beast series are beautiful and hard to go wrong with. I'm not sure what the consensus is on the Valiant and which is better but I'm sure someone will have some thoughts on that.

Good luck and happy stacking.

Matt

Welcome to the forum, a good place to ask questions!

My thoughts would be that buying the 10 oz griffin at £300+ would unlikely yield any return 😉

As to the 10 oz valiant, I think the 2019 looks better personally.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Hi Irvin,

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of good information and advice in here, from those way more experienced than me.

I've been stacking for a few months now and if I was to start over, I would have opted for premium membership sooner, which not only supports the forum, but gives you early access to some of the best deals on Gold and Silver (the saving on Silver alone, after a few purchases is worth the fee).

One thing that might help you decide how to spend your money is to take a moment to consider what you want out of your silver purchases. For example, I look at silver as a collecting hobby with a possible (but not necessary) upside. I gravitate toward collecting one of a number of national bullion coins, encapsulating them, and rotating them though my display case and desk. I also buy the occasional proof coin that speaks to me. Cheap silver (relatively speaking) and variety are my jam. 

Define your own goals and that will constrain your purchase decisions - any you will enjoy your stack all the more! :)

On 25/11/2019 at 15:08, Irvin said:

Hi all

A couple of weeks ago, silver collecting was mentioned in passing to me, looked into it, and now here I am, proud owner of a single 2oz Queens Beasts Coin:) I've a whole load of lurking to do here just to get my head around all of this. To start with I want to get some Royal Mint Silver, mix of 1, 2 and 10oz, I love the 10oz Valiant, but is there a general consensus on whether the 2018 or 2019 is the better buy? Leaning towards the 2018 on looks alone.... Is the 10oz Griffin still a good investment at c£305? I've a couple hundred quid burning a hole in my pocket and if I don't spend it, the missus will😂

If any of you fancy sharing any pearls of wisdom, I'd be totally grateful! 

Irvin 

I like the valiant myself.

Basically what it is to me personally and I know some might disagree with me heavily. For the most part you are paying for the design of the coin with those.

I more or so try to only pay $1.00 over spot myself. I'm more of a silver stacker myself and not a silver collector.

On 25/11/2019 at 15:16, BackyardBullion said:

Welcome to the forum, a good place to ask questions!

My thoughts would be that buying the 10 oz griffin at £300+ would unlikely yield any return 😉

I agree with this. Many people love the designs and/or etc or want a collection to be completed.

On 25/11/2019 at 21:16, BackyardBullion said:

I have to disagree, my preference is the 2018. The border of the 2019 just spoils it for me.

We’ll have to wait to see what 2020 brings :o

Welcome.

I don't see anyone trying to talk you into buying gold instead of silver - I suppose because gold is pretty expensive at the moment.  But if I were looking to spend £300 on a coin I would look at sovereigns.  Bear in mind that silver has VAT on it if you buy from a UK dealer and gold does not.

Archived