• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ranking SOTD Sovereign

I'm wondering what would you rank the best SOTD sovereign that came out "so far".

IMO my ranking is 

1 2023 King Charles Coronation

2 2022 Platinum Jubilee

3  2017 200th Anniversary of Saint George and the Dragon 

4 2012 Diamond jubilee 

5 The rest are all of the SOTD sovereign pretty much rank the same since it mostly just anniversary or birthday.

Also does anyone feel like the SOTD Sovereign doesn't really feel special anymore like  "who cares" since there a lot of Birth"day" or anniversary and that they got to make at least one every year.

P.S I don't know much about the British history. For example I don't know how import Prince Albert but he look to be pretty important since he got his own SOTD Sovereign and that he isn't a king.

It sometimes feels like they are scrabbling around to find an anniversary to issue a SOTD and can devalue it as a result.

Difficult to argue against your list in terms of popularity and if people want that SOTD it obviously makes it more valuable and desirable.

The 2017 issue is significant to coin collectors but of little interest to the public. The D Day issue this week is probably the other way round.

Personally I would put the 75th birthday SOTD second after the coronation. Not because of the event (far from it) but because it is unique and is the only 2023 sovereign with an uncrowned head.

4 hours ago, jason94151 said:

P.S I don't know much about the British history. For example I don't know how import Prince Albert but he look to be pretty important since he got his own SOTD Sovereign and that he isn't a king.

Albert was, in a way, de facto king - he pretty much ran the show; he was hand-picked for the role, educated and groomed for the task at hand, as well as ambitious and surprisingly competent.

(For anyone curious the Edward VII "The Heir Apparent" biography by Jane Ridley is a good read.)

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I think the King Charles III Coronation SOTD.

Like the proof KCIII Coronation proof coins are presently under appreciated but mark such an important event with  a change in the sovereign of the United Kingdom 🇬🇧.

After all the sovereign coin, at least in my humble view, is inexorably linked to the crown. 

See the link below to my coin dedicated YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32DEmDzkaZCBTBVTDiYr0A

Posted (edited)

Same as others coronation and Jubilee. I think in time the Jubilee will be bigger than the coronation as we will never see another. 

Op, Google ‘Prince Albert’ for more information .. interesting tale. 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

2 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

Same as others coronation and Jubilee. I think in time the Jubilee will be bigger than the coronation as we will never see another. 

Op, Google ‘Prince Albert’ for more information .. interesting tale. 

Actually that’s a good point on the Platinum Jubilee. So for me this one and the KCIII coronation.

Also the 200th anniversary as it’s such a beautiful coin with the garter. 

See the link below to my coin dedicated YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32DEmDzkaZCBTBVTDiYr0A

Good morning all an interesting question. My top 5 of SOTD

1. 2017 200 year anniversary.

2. 2018 Prince George 5th Birthday.

3. 2023 King Charles 75th birthday

4 2023 Coronation 

5. 2022 Platinum Jubilee

In terms of beauty and appeal, my top 3 are:

1. 2017 Garter design

2. 2022 Platinum Jubilee

3. 2018 Prince George 5th birthday (no privy… just regular George & Dragon with plain edge)

Haven’t thought about my favs in terms of rarity.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/05/2024 at 07:13, GoldDiggerDave said:

2018 George's 5th Birthday SOTD sovereign......And I'll argue my case with anyone.  

It's unmilled practically proof George and the Dragon reverse sovereign without a privy mark.

Interested in one of these as it happens. The coa states that 750 were available, but I read somewhere that only 485 were minted.

Firstly, do you know if those numbers are accurate? Looking on RM, you can search the previous sales numbers. Under the 2018 listing's (three quarters down) you can see a section entitled "THE 5TH BIRTHDAY OF HRH PRINCE GEORGE OF CAMBRIDGE 2018 UK £5" , where is has 485 listed under the heading "The 5th Birthday of HRH Prince George of Cambridge Strike on the Day Celebration Sovereign - Struck on 22.7.18" 

Source https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/mintage-figures/2018-dated-uk-commemorative-coin-sales/

I assume this is right even though the main section title suggests all sales in the category are £5. Is there any other way of confirming mintage figures? 

Aside if the low mintage, is there any other reason why you rate this SOTD so highly? 

Edited by BiigT