• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

SHTF…..Is All gold the same 🤔

1 minute ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I was reading a post on here the other day (apologies for being unable to remember the member who wrote it off the top of my head) where it was mentioned that with the higher gold spot price some of the more common and less desireable proof sovs are already being thrown in the melting pot so we're kind of there already without the SHTF situation. That being said...

I think a reality check is probably helpful in actually answering this question.

Things like proofs and graded coins, etc only have a value uplift because enough of us desire them to give them a value uplift. The market which gives that value uplift is something that exists because of our modern way of living. In a crisis scenario where we no longer have access to our modern way of life priorities will naturally change and frankly pretty much anything that we currently assign a collectable value to will lose that because people won't care. Your priorities will be survival, safe passage, etc for you, your family and loved ones. Your priorities will not be what a paper label says inside a plastic slab or how shiny the finish is on your coins.

That’s the truth 🙏

4 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

I agree with your Portuguese bullion dealer. If and when metal prices moon all that will be offered is spot. That's fine though as you'll still have made an absolute killing

The numismatic pieces are not linked to the spot price of gold, they are a different market. I believe the super rare and desirable pieces will continue to appreciate as these are only affordable by the financially comfortable and the outright filthy rich. That demographic is getting richer by the day while the rest of us are eaten alive by the cost of living and inadequate wages that are not keeping up with inflation

From the couple of responses so far it looks it will be fractional bullion for me from now on, unless the proofs etc, are of a very similar value 🙏

This is why you need to be careful with silver.

A coin that costs £40 when spot is £20 isn’t a coin with a 100% premium.

It’s a coin that costs spot + £20.

When spot is £100, it won’t be worth £200.

More like £120 if in perfect condition or spot if not, regardless of economic conditions.

1 hour ago, 27carrots said:

More like £120 if in perfect condition or spot if not, regardless of economic conditions.

👍👍👍

9 hours ago, 27carrots said:

I'd be more than happy to accept £100 for that formerly worth £40 coin, it's profit regardless.

I buy numismatic material to play both markets, I'm not bothered which one gives me the profit in the end.

On 04/04/2024 at 20:34, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I was reading a post on here the other day (apologies for being unable to remember the member who wrote it off the top of my head) where it was mentioned that with the higher gold spot price some of the more common and less desireable proof sovs are already being thrown in the melting pot so we're kind of there already without the SHTF situation. That being said...

I think a reality check is probably helpful in actually answering this question.

Things like proofs and graded coins, etc only have a value uplift because enough of us desire them to give them a value uplift. The market which gives that value uplift is something that exists because of our modern way of living. In a crisis scenario where we no longer have access to our modern way of life priorities will naturally change and frankly pretty much anything that we currently assign a collectable value to will lose that because people won't care. Your priorities will be survival, safe passage, etc for you, your family and loved ones. Your priorities will not be what a paper label says inside a plastic slab or how shiny the finish is on your coins.

This all makes sense in theory, but imo it’s a fallacy to think governments will happily allow us to freely use our personal gold holdings as currency. That’s just never going to happen.

On 04/04/2024 at 10:34, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Or just be rich enough not to be affected by inflationary periods and still be able to sit back and enjoy those shiny slabbed coins while everyone else is getting repossessed and working for a bowl of rice.    

I stack gold bullion and collect graded proof coins........if the market went to zero today my life will not  change and the same for many other guys who collect graded coins.......As for a SHTF scenario  the devil in me would love to see the day it happens. 

With gold being high it's a poison chalice for some as they can never buy and hold enough for it to be life changing or even meaningful.