• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gazette Proclamation - Waterloo Medal (Great Engravers 2-coin set?)

5 hours ago, cjbcomm said:

Don't see too many of the petition crown sets up for sale. How are their prices holding up compared to RRP?

Yeah they’ve been going for below RRP but that’s true for many coins in the past year.

Even the 5-coin Coronation Sovereign Set was available for £1200 below RRP barely a few months after release.

From what I understand, the collectibles market in general is in a trough.

55 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

From what I understand, the collectibles market in general is in a trough.

I can understand that with the price of gold hitting new highs people are less likely to buy gold but still the price is technically quite cheap. 

I have a piedfort 2022 jubilee sovereign I'm trying to sell but no takers even pricing at a price where one recently sold in the past few weeks. I can't drop any further or it would consider selling at a loss. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tpcob303 said:

I can understand that with the price of gold hitting new highs people are less likely to buy gold but still the price is technically quite cheap. 

I have a piedfort 2022 jubilee sovereign I'm trying to sell but no takers even pricing at a price where one recently sold in the past few weeks. I can't drop any further or it would consider selling at a loss. 

Yes that’s true. It’s a combination of gold price being high - and even basic commodities being high due to out of control inflation.

When the cost of bread, milk and eggs have increased by 75% over the past year, gold takes a backseat regardless of price.

I’ve seen some great deals this past year, and have passed almost all.

Edited by westminstrel

• 2 weeks later...

I mean... how hard it can be to engrave something like this... ? :ph34r:

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 9.47.10 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 9.48.44 PM.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

7 hours ago, jultorsk said:

I mean... how hard it can be to engrave something like this... ? :ph34r:

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 9.47.10 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 9.48.44 PM.png

From the previous video, it seems the RM created the dies a few years back when they struck the silver medals.

So it begs the question - what will be special about the re-release, especially as it won’t even be a medal, but a set of coins?

As much as I like the Waterloo Medal it's just odd why they are making these are a two coin set.  

2oz gold coin 40mm in diameter 

most of the silvers between 40-65mm.  

What a total crock of .......t   we are not going to be able to see the "master piece" of Pistrucci's work as intended at 40mm for the 5.5k+ gold and £275+ for the silver its utterly pointless and the design will be lost.   

.....Royal Mint you make me want to cry.  

2 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

As much as I like the Waterloo Medal it's just odd why they are making these are a two coin set.  

2oz gold coin 40mm in diameter 

most of the silvers between 40-65mm.  

What a total crock of .......t   we are not going to be able to see the "master piece" of Pistrucci's work as intended at 40mm for the 5.5k+ gold and £275+ for the silver its utterly pointless and the design will be lost.   

.....Royal Mint you make me want to cry.  

The medal as intended was supposed to be 130mm in diameter.

Now what might be truly novel is if the Royal Mint were to stick to the weights (2oz, 5oz, etc.) but half the thickness and increase the diameters.

The G&D’s matte finish was an easy one to do, to make the coin interesting, and market it as a ‘first’ in the Great Engravers series.

But I doubt the RM would dare to be as innovative as reducing thickness and increasing diameters (though I’d love if they proved me wrong).

On 29/03/2024 at 14:52, westminstrel said:

The medal as intended was supposed to be 130mm in diameter.

Now what might be truly novel is if the Royal Mint were to stick to the weights (2oz, 5oz, etc.) but half the thickness and increase the diameters.

The G&D’s matte finish was an easy one to do, to make the coin interesting, and market it as a ‘first’ in the Great Engravers series.

But I doubt the RM would dare to be as innovative as reducing thickness and increasing diameters (though I’d love if they proved me wrong).

Oh how I would love them to increase the diameter of the 2oz and cut the thickness. I wish they had done this with the St George and the other coins, though I have my doubts they would do this. 

The Waterloo Medal is already being promoted via expression of interest. A 2-coin set with the first coming in 2024 and the second in 2025.

It’s the first time I haven’t jumped to fill in the form.

I am interested, but I’m kinda annoyed at the two-coin agenda here. So I guess I’m not entirely happy to express my interest.

Why two Great Engravers in such a short space of time?
Does this series now have a corporate partner? These seem to the only things the mint are keen to produce now - the Star Wars, James Bond and Harry Potter stuff are all collaborations with commercial partners.

11 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

The Waterloo Medal is already being promoted via expression of interest. A 2-coin set with the first coming in 2024 and the second in 2025.

It’s the first time I haven’t jumped to fill in the form.

I am interested, but I’m kinda annoyed at the two-coin agenda here. So I guess I’m not entirely happy to express my interest.

Its a lovely piece. A friend of ours on here told me about it a bit ago and been looking forward to it but 2 coin will kill kit. They just don't perform well!

The requirement of having the monarch appear on the obverse forces the RM into a two coin offering or they choose one side and ignore the other.  I didn’t get the 2015 Waterloo so I’m not sure what happened back then - how did the RM handle this issue 9 years ago?

I won’t deny that I’m sure I will be in line to get this when the time comes……

1 hour ago, SiCole said:

Its a lovely piece. A friend of ours on here told me about it a bit ago and been looking forward to it but 2 coin will kill kit. They just don't perform well!

The 2-coin idea is simple a money grab imo. It makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Sc391 said:

The requirement of having the monarch appear on the obverse forces the RM into a two coin offering or they choose one side and ignore the other.  I didn’t get the 2015 Waterloo so I’m not sure what happened back then - how did the RM handle this issue 9 years ago?

I won’t deny that I’m sure I will be in line to get this when the time comes……

They did an actual medal in 2015 so they didn’t have to worry about the Monarch’s effigy being on the obverse.

I searched around a bit and have found the 2015 medal available for not much above issue price.  Am I missing something?  Wouldn’t the (8 oz) 2015 medal be more desirable than the  upcoming two coin version?  Was the medal not well received?

I may sound naive but this is a bit of a head scratcher.

Edited by Sc391
Weight added

3 hours ago, Sc391 said:

I searched around a bit and have found the 2015 medal available for not much above issue price.  Am I missing something?  Wouldn’t the (8 oz) 2015 medal be more desirable than the  upcoming two coin version?  Was the medal not well received?

I may sound naive but this is a bit of a head scratcher.

It’s definitely a head scratcher. I’ve also seen a couple versions which have much larger diameters, so not really sure how the upcoming 2oz silver will be better.

As I say, probably the gold is the real prize here, as it’s only new version (I don’t believe it’s ever been done in gold before); but the 2oz will be tiny to appreciate such an intricate design, so I don’t really get their thinking here.

Perhaps customers who have Account Managers and who spend a lot, and have some influence and say in such matters, should speak up proactively to the RM.

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

It’s definitely a head scratcher. I’ve also seen a couple versions which have much larger diameters, so not really sure how the upcoming 2oz silver will be better.

As I say, probably the gold is the real prize here, as it’s only new version (I don’t believe it’s ever been done in gold before); but the 2oz will be tiny to appreciate such an intricate design, so I don’t really get their thinking here.

Perhaps customers who have Account Managers and who spend a lot, and have some influence and say in such matters, should speak up proactively to the RM.

The 1990 RM issue of Pistrucci’s Waterloo Medal came in gold, silver and bronze.

The medals are 64 mm in diameter. Gold version is 189 grams (.375 fine or 70.875 grams of pure gold). Silver version is .925 fine.

Edited by trozau

1 hour ago, trozau said:

The 1990 RM issue of Pistrucci’s Waterloo Medal came in gold, silver and bronze.

The medals are 64 mm in diameter. Gold version is 189 grams (.375 fine or 70.875 grams of pure gold). Silver version is .925 fine.

Indeed, that was 9 carat gold correct?

It’s really interesting that they are choosing to reissue this in a coin format, when the medal format has already been done twice before, and in larger sizes too. 

21 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Indeed, that was 9 carat gold correct?

It’s really interesting that they are choosing to reissue this in a coin format, when the medal format has already been done twice before, and in larger sizes too. 

Yes, you are correct. The .375 fine Au is 9 carat gold and the .925 fine Ag is Sterling silver.

2 hours ago, trozau said:

Yes, you are correct. The .375 fine Au is 9 carat gold and the .925 fine Ag is Sterling silver.

They just need to stop beating around the bush already and do the St. George and the Dragon in your avatar. 😆

14 hours ago, westminstrel said:

They just need to stop beating around the bush already and do the St. George and the Dragon in your avatar. 😆

I concur! William Wyon’s St George and the Dragon rendition is a more powerful depiction than Benedetto Pistrucci’s.