• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any US Gold Expert About. Is this coin worth £200?

Comp: There is an AU55 PCGS currently for sale in auction in the US. Current price is $460 with eight days to go and currently nine bidders. That coin is in an old green holder (‘OGH’), is CAC approved, and has a nice luster. 

An NGC slabbed 1853 is in the same auction and is a grade up at AU58. It sits with two bids at $2. 

(Big differences between the two coins though: 1. US prefer PCGS, especially OGH (the view of many is that grading standards have improved and so a better grade may now be given); 2. The NGC one has no pedigree; and 3. The PCGS is a nicer coin - even with a lower grade…..and because of the OGH it is likely undergraded).

I would guess that the PCGS version is likely to sell for around $500-600 and the NGC around $200-300. 

The image you have shared is a bit blurred (or maybe my tired eyes need rest) and so difficult to tell grade. You need better pictures and it depends on the luster/whether it has been cleaned, as to how much it could be worth.

Hope that helps!

This coin is 13th in the list of top forged US coins so be confident that's it genuine.

https://www.ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection/top/united-states/

Your coin pictures show a very weak strike, take a look at the denticles. Here's a photo from the PCGS website for comparison.

246358855.jpg

Booky’s point is well made! Your coin could be fake, but I’m not sure it is. Here is the coin alongside an AU58 that has similar issues with the denticles. Your coin doesn’t have the luster but some of the features are very precise. I could be very wrong of course!!!

9A14843D-A9A4-479F-94C7-61AEBB6BC5E3.jpeg

It has a some kind of doubled feature on both sides, most prominently at the bottom of the bust, I'm guessing because it's fake. Interesting coin if it is real though, and available with authenticity guarantee if anyone is interested - although I doubt the retailer will reimburse the grading fee if it comes back not genuine.

36 minutes ago, Spyder said:

For me it is just too small a coin

"The Little Giant" - They are the smallest coins ever made by the US mint. But they have a rich history associated with the California gold rush. They're really cool coins imo.

Is that specific one worth £200? If it's real, and problem free, yes, but their prices do vary quite a lot. If there's a doubled-die or such mint error, it's worth more (i'm not an expert, happy to be corrected)

This example is not one I would touch personally.  

Looking at the truncation / bottom of the neck you might think this coin has been double struck….but then nothing else on the coin seems to have been, apart from Liberty’s chin perhaps.  Not sure this is all it seems…

A few of the details look finer (smaller / narrower) than I have seen previously. 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

8 minutes ago, dicker said:

Looking at the truncation / bottom of the neck you might think this coin has been double struck….but then nothing else on the coin seems to have been, apart from Liberty’s chin perhaps.  Not sure this is all it seems…

A few of the details look finer (smaller / narrower) than I have seen previously. 

Thanks. The coin is something I would not buy just because of size and that I know nothing about these particular coins.  I raised this question as it is available for sale at H&T for anyone interested.   If it is real, could be a good buy someone.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

12 hours ago, Spyder said:

Simple question, Is this $1 worth £200?

Spyder

1853 $1 reverse.webp

1853 $1 Head.webp

Make sure it's Gold. I bought one from a forum member a while back. Sent it to NGC, they returned it and said it was not genuine. The member returned my money. He bought it from an auction.  

35 minutes ago, dicker said:

There's similar features on the words "dollar" and "america, but this is the reverse side. I'm not really familiar with doubled die errors, but since it is inconsistently on both sides, I assume that this is further evidence of it being a flaw in the counterfeiting?

It may well be fake, but you can at least guarantee it’s a 22ct fake because H&T test all their gold before they buy or sell. 

The issue then is that you would be paying WELL OVER spot (even today!!!) for this coin if it was not authentic. 

I wonder what H&T’s position is on this? Surely they have reviewed it. 

These are lovely little coins. My Mum used to have earrings made with a pair of them so I have a strong attraction. With a gold content value of £97 the premiums are just to high. I wouldn't buy a sovereign for £800 and I like them better!

It looks very dodgy. I mean just for starters what is all this going on at the bottom of the neck? I would say if you are thinking about buying then don't. If you bought and can send back then do so. 

image.png.d1c6513d29371cede47490c075775bbf.png

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.