• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Opinion on Grading

the technology has been around for years to identify individual coins using LiDAR and other methods.  Think about it the technology is already in our phones to recognise our individual faces it’s easy to use this tech to list individual’s coins graded or not.  But for the obvious reasons not everyone  would have their coins and stacks digitally recorded.  (Can you imagine that year where there’s an amnesty for you to get everyone of your coins digitally scanned and assigned to you so the value population and scarcity can be 100% accurate, I very much doubt those saying the populations are inaccurate would be the ones getting their stack scanned) 

The population reports are a guide, indication of how many have been graded,  just like scarcity ratings in marsh how are these 100% accurately recorded they aren’t the for the same reasons, if it’s sales then the same coin could have been sold numerous times and there’s alway the unknown, coins sitting in a vault that’s never been recorded or entered the open market and there some coins that are lost to time or inadvertently destroyed. 

I would presume the reports are adjusted over time to reflect anomalies just like the scarcity ratings are adjusted to give a closer representation of the numbers with the information they have at the time. 

I just see the numbers as a guide and relative against other coins graded by the same company. Even if the graded figures include resubmissions etc it doesn’t really matter to me. 

same as I only check NGC not pcgs as well. It’s all just a guide and relative to the coin population as a whole. Sure it could be systematically manipulated.. but I doubt anyone would. Unless I’m missing something. 

Aaaahhh😉

I quite disagree. 
As the market is more and more oriented (obsessed) by the magic number , by the top pop by the + , cameo, star etc etc, its more and more important to guarantee buyers from potential frauds or manipulation. 
Its an “hobby” that requires hundreds or thousands pounds / euros and can be easily considered as an investment too. Knowing that a dealer (just for example) can submit the same coin over and over til he gets what he wants, or knowing that the population report of a specific rare coin is completely messed up its not a good feeling 

4 hours ago, refero said:

Starting by saying that everyone is free to act freely, i quite dont understand the point in keeping track of “population” of slabbed coins.

a single coin can hypothetically have gone through the process several time, and been awarded with different slab reference every time. Even with the same grade all the time, the finals figures are kind of “fake”.

And that is opening the door to a  misrepresentation of reality (innocent scenario) or to commercial fraud (just imagine how can a top pop be manipulated artificially) 

Imo slabs should have an Anti crack technology (like you cant open crack it without damaging the coin) and only the original ngc - pcgs Whover could safely open it.

A second eventual slab of an already slabbed coin should clearly state it like ms 61 slab number 38373288 previously ms 61 (or whatever) slab number 29282828

3 hours ago, SidS said:

I've cracked just about every slabbed coin I've bought out, none of which is reported on the population reports of PCGS or NGC. So I know a few of their coin figures are off.

Then there are those that crack out and do multiple submissions. So I bet most population reports are inaccurate to say the least.

I tried to research some particular coins. Apparently their owner(s) cracked the boxes and sent the certs back, thereby invalidating the cert. However, the coins still appear in the population reports. Coins that were submitted to both NGC and PCGS appear on the population reports of both services.

Don't read too much into population reports. And don't subscribe to what PGCS and NGC say in general. They (according to their census) have graded more tha 30 million US coins each, and for UK coins? About half a million. And the numbers are still lower for coins from other countries. They're still America-centric services, and they primarily focus on American coins.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

What I would like as a collector, is coins to be slabbed in the CGC sized slabs (Pokémon  card sized slab)  as this would fit the coin and the COA.  I’d like the COA grading as well,  PF70UC for the coin and a perfect 10 for the COA.  

can you imagine the anxiety of getting a PF70UC for the proof sovereign and only a 9.1 for the COA🤣

6 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

What I would like as a collector, is coins to be slabbed in the CGC sized slabs (Pokémon  card sized slab)  as this would fit the coin and the COA.  I’d like the COA grading as well,  PF70UC for the coin and a perfect 10 for the COA.  

can you imagine the anxiety of getting a PF70UC for the proof sovereign and only a 9.1 for the COA🤣

I’m not sure I’d like the COA grading but I would like it included in the slab tbh. Just as a yes/no real/fake type thing. 

@refero I don’t see an issue with resubmitting tbh. Coin grading is going to be subjective and the real question of 69/70 is always going to be contested, just as any subjective decision is. The key is in the validity of the grading process and its reproducibility. I can grade any coin at 70 but no one will care. That’s why NGC and PCGS are universally accepted but others aren’t. 
what I would really like from either company is a European base or a peer European competitor, as both are very clearly US orientated and that can only last so long imho. 

Aaaahhh😉

29 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@Agaupl you never know mate I’ll send you a CGC Pokémon card you will get hooked on the perfect 10’s

Does he also need to pay for that?

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

The problem with having the COA in the slab, what happens to all the three and 4 plus sets. Which coin gets the COA. 

I think a better grading option would be for both sides to get a grade. I bet that there are many coins graded 69 which might have had a 70 on one side

Never Chase and Never Regret 

1 hour ago, Spyder said:

The problem with having the COA in the slab, what happens to all the three and 4 plus sets. Which coin gets the COA. 

I think a better grading option would be for both sides to get a grade. I bet that there are many coins graded 69 which might have had a 70 on one side

I like these, you can get Multi coin slabs, only a few sets they will grade like this and the problematic thing with grading a full set is if someone wants a full top  grade set and if one coin out of the batch is not up to grade then it could be difficult, plus it makes it impossible to split.   

I'm trying to get a silver multi slab set for my collection 

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 16.18.01.png

2 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I like these, you can get Multi coin slabs, only a few sets they will grade like this and the problematic thing with grading a full set is if someone wants a full top  grade set and if one coin out of the batch is not up to grade then it could be difficult, plus it makes it impossible to split.   

Could work nicely for the old sovereign sets. 1887, 1893, 1902, etc

Also you could send a set of graded PF70 and ask them to re-holder

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

3 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Could work nicely for the old sovereign sets. 1887, 1893, 1902, etc

Also you could send a set of graded PF70 and ask them to re-holder

Absolutely I'm a huge fan of the 1902 matt proof set it would be a nice way to present the set in a multi holder.  

1 minute ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Absolutely I'm a huge fan of the 1902 matt proof set it would be a nice way to present the set in a multi holder.  

So am I. But they all grade rather low. And I think for a reason, too. Their matt surface seems finer than the American matts of the same period and modern matts like the sotd, and a simple rinse with water or rubbing with velvet (in which they were all housed) could strip them of the original surface.

11 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

They look nice. What sets will they put in a multi slab 

Aaaahhh😉

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 22/01/2024 at 17:28, Sovhead said:

Now in America for grading see what it gets 👍🏻

Hi mate. Any news on your coins? Can you tell the submission status?

My last submission was surprisingly quick (around 5/6 weeks last summer). This time, seems really slow. Almost 4 weeks and it still at "Scheduled for Grading". I was hoping they'd improved their turnaround times, and maybe they have, but it seems really slow so far...

4 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

Hi mate. Any news on your coins? Can you tell the submission status?

My last submission was surprisingly quick (around 5/6 weeks last summer). This time, seems really slow. Almost 4 weeks and it still at "Scheduled for Grading". I was hoping they'd improved their turnaround times, and maybe they have, but it seems really slow so far...

Awaiting grading mate, sometimes it happens pretty quickly other times it depends on how busy they are I’m in no rush and Dave has kept me up to date with everything he’s been exemplary in keeping me informed of costs, timeframe and with updates.

On 11/01/2024 at 20:03, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I tried to research some particular coins. Apparently their owner(s) cracked the boxes and sent the certs back, thereby invalidating the cert. However, the coins still appear in the population reports. Coins that were submitted to both NGC and PCGS appear on the population reports of both services.

Don't read too much into population reports. And don't subscribe to what PGCS and NGC say in general. They (according to their census) have graded more tha 30 million US coins each, and for UK coins? About half a million. And the numbers are still lower for coins from other countries. They're still America-centric services, and they primarily focus on American coins.

I sort of agree and disagree. The population certs are really useful - and you are right that some people crack coins out and send them for grading again in hope of a better grade.

For me the numbers are all about “sensitivity” if 1000 coins have been graded at MS60 and 2 at MS68 I would be super cautious about the lower numbers.  They are more “sensitive” to re grading.  I use the pop numbers for Morgan Dollar buying - just to get a sense if the books are right!

all the best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2024 at 21:44, Sovhead said:

I’ve 2 Vic sovs and I’m in 2 minds about getting them graded so I’d like to hear what members think pics below.IMG_9562.thumb.jpeg.f51080de066440c20037cf458856886b.jpegIMG_9566.thumb.jpeg.13a87459398d53626b93adf842beea6f.jpeg

IMG_9569.thumb.jpeg.ca72ac21fee4ea4eb478fa93ce4b8592.jpegIMG_9572.thumb.jpeg.ba697076b1e93b193c69420eb7df4947.jpeg

Got a ms61 and an ms63 Very Happy with that 👍🏻