• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Opinion on Grading

Just now, Sovhead said:

You think it’s worth grading?

I think so. Not sure about the 1887 though...

Also you might want to send more coins at a time to save shipping

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Just now, SilverJacks said:

I would slab them and expect MS grades. Haven't checked market value, just think they are lovely looking unc coins.

That’s the kinda response I want mate, if folk think they’re AU58 tell me I don’t mind the fees to get them slabbed and if I do they won’t be for sale I’m a stacker I’d just like to maximise for future if they’re worth spending on.

20 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

I’ve 2 Vic sovs and I’m in 2 minds about getting them graded so I’d like to hear what members think pics below.IMG_9562.thumb.jpeg.f51080de066440c20037cf458856886b.jpegIMG_9566.thumb.jpeg.13a87459398d53626b93adf842beea6f.jpeg

IMG_9569.thumb.jpeg.ca72ac21fee4ea4eb478fa93ce4b8592.jpegIMG_9572.thumb.jpeg.ba697076b1e93b193c69420eb7df4947.jpeg

Depend on why you are thinking of grading them.

- To keep yourself? Why not, personally not for me but appreciate some folk like that

- To sell and make a profit? Not sure it would be worth it if you are selling on eBay or auction with fees.  Demand here for decent quality Shields remains healthy   

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Just now, Sovhead said:

That’s the kinda response I want mate, if folk think they’re AU58 tell me I don’t mind the fees to get them slabbed and if I do they won’t be for sale I’m a stacker I’d just like to maximise for future if they’re worth spending on.

Well, I guess no one can guarantee anything. Maybe they pick up on something that drags it down. They both look good to me though. Nice detail, and if the lustre is there, I'd expect MS grade. 

9 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Also you might want to send more coins at a time to save shipping

This is a good point. You have postage costs to NGC UK. Over £80 in grading fees when you include the form fee. Then for around £36 return shipping through NGC service, although you can do it cheaper if you arrange your courier. You can narrow down the cost per coin if you submit a batch of them.

https://www.ngccoin.uk/submit/services-fees/ngc/

I would price both up in MS61 and upwards, compared to a higher priced raw specimen (Sorry for stating the obvious). I don't know what they're currently fetching but they would probably be included in my next batch if they were mine.

11 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

Well, I guess no one can guarantee anything. Maybe they pick up on something that drags it down. They both look good to me though. Nice detail, and if the lustre is there, I'd expect MS grade. 

This is a good point. You have postage costs to NGC UK. Over £80 in grading fees when you include the form fee. Then for around £36 return shipping through NGC service, although you can do it cheaper if you arrange your courier. You can narrow down the cost per coin if you submit a batch of them.

https://www.ngccoin.uk/submit/services-fees/ngc/

I would price both up in MS61 and upwards, compared to a higher priced raw specimen (Sorry for stating the obvious). I don't know what they're currently fetching but they would probably be included in my next batch if they were mine.

Thought their FMV was based on raw coins not graded ones?

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

11 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Thought their FMV was based on raw coins not graded ones?

I've never submitted coins valuable enough to be charged the FMV, for grading service or conservation. Is it raw coin value or graded?

Just now, SilverJacks said:

I've never submitted coins valuable enough to be charged the FMV, for grading service or conservation. Is it raw coin value or graded?

I don't know, I just did raw in my first NCS submission...

44 minutes ago, dicker said:

Depend on why you are thinking of grading them.

- To keep yourself? Why not, personally not for me but appreciate some folk like that

- To sell and make a profit? Not sure it would be worth it if you are selling on eBay or auction with fees.  Demand here for decent quality Shields remains healthy   

Best

Dicker

I want to keep them for many years but maximise their potential when the selling point comes.

Just now, Sovhead said:

I won’t save on postage I’ve been quoted a fixed amount per coin, I don’t want to go down the route of organising my own shipping etc I’d rather send to someone pay the bill and they’re returned graded.

That's what I do, bite the bullet and pay NGC their fully-insured-to-doorstep fee. For £40-£60 cost per coin (depending on how many you submit) I'd be very surprised if you didn't get that back in additional market value, providing they get the desired/expected grade.

3 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I don't know, I just did raw in my first NCS submission...

I'll dig out some invoices now, but I don't believe I've ever encountered FMV being added, so wouldn't know either sorry. I'm sure other members will know..

4 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

I want to keep them for many years but maximise their potential when the selling point comes.

AllGold is selling one at MS61 for £780. From the picture I think yours stands at MS62 or better, though pictures can be deceptive. My advice is don't grade if you're not planning to sell. Plastic holders are pretty lifeless in my opinion. Although it makes sense to check if they are worth keeping by grading them. I have some very personal feeling against holders, but that's just me

And I buy graded then crack out. I like to handle coins, but I shouldn't. I therefore put my coins in airtite caps, for at least they're round...

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

9 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

AllGold is selling one at MS61 for £780. From the picture I think yours stands at MS62 or better, though pictures can be deceptive. My advice is don't grade if you're not planning to sell. Plastic holders are pretty lifeless in my opinion. Although it makes sense to check if they are worth keeping by grading them. I have some very personal feeling against holders, but that's just me

And I buy graded then crack out. I like to handle coins, but I shouldn't. I therefore put my coins in airtite caps, for at least they're round...

I’ve cracked a few out myself mate ones I’ve thought were under graded.

1 of them will be sent back and a few others will potentially be graded the first time.

9 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

I’ve cracked a few out myself mate ones I’ve thought were under graded.

1 of them will be sent back and a few others will potentially be graded the first time.

I have a cupboard full of dead holders. I think that's a collection in its own right

Just now, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I have a cupboard full of dead holders. I think that's a collection in its own right

Tbh it’s not my favourite graded coins and I have some, but I’ve 5 or 6 coins I think might suit other folk graded and it potentially makes my coins being graded worth more….thats entirely my thinking in the years to come 👍🏻

I think it would be beneficial for someone to start a dedicated grading submissions thread, to share experiences of crackouts, crossovers, or just guess-the-grade from their results. Would make an entertaining and useful topic to pin in the General PM section imo.

1 minute ago, Sovhead said:

Tbh it’s not my favourite graded coins and I have some, but I’ve 5 or 6 coins I think might suit other folk graded and it potentially makes my coins being graded worth more….thats entirely my thinking in the years to come 👍🏻

I agree you need to grade to sell, that's how market works today. But when I collect it's the coins that I am collecting, not a plastic holder with a piece of paper. If people here detest fiat money with numbers printed for nothing, they'd rightly hate TPG premiums.

6 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

I think it would be beneficial for someone to start a dedicated grading submissions thread, to share experiences of crackouts, crossovers, or just guess-the-grade from their results. Would make an entertaining and useful topic to pin in the General PM section imo.

Good idea 👍🏻 

There should also be a thread for known years/ mint marks of fake sovs/half Sovs/bars a kind of bible to refer to I’ve experienced similar with vinyl records and electronics mess ups on circuit diagrams.