• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Opinion on Grading

9 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I agree you need to grade to sell, that's how market works today. But when I collect it's the coins that I am collecting, not a plastic holder with a piece of paper. If people here detest fiat money with numbers printed for nothing, they'd rightly hate TPG premiums.

I actually like holders. I can safely hold a coin without worrying about handling/dropping etc.

2 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

I actually like holders. I can safely hold a coin without worrying about handling/dropping etc.

For small coins airtite caps are superb. For larger ones maybe holders are your safest bet.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

1 minute ago, SilverJacks said:

We’re all different I  get you.

it’s you I’m looking at in the future as a potential buyer….do I list an 1884S Sov nice condition in the years to come that will be subjective or do I list it in years to come already graded and worth a good bit more graded 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

We’re all different I  get you.

it’s you I’m looking at in the future as a potential buyer….do I list an 1884S Sov nice condition in the years to come that will be subjective or do I list it in years to come already graded and worth a good bit more graded 🤷‍♂️

You'll get much more for a graded coin

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

3 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

You'll get much more for a graded coin

It’s pukka time….grade them or keep them as is?

I won’t blame you if they don’t get decent grades, so much appreciate your input but would you grade them at £70 a pop?

My honest opinion on the shield, if you can not see the lions eyes on all the lions, I would not bother as the £65 it cost you might not get it back. What is the coin worth now in its raw state? Maybe £480-£500. Will it be worth more than £565 if it gets a AU58 grade, I am not too sure.

One thing about holders that bugs me is when someone has a graded coin and does not protect the holder. The amount of graded coins with scratched holders. Can not understand those who do that

Never Chase and Never Regret 

6 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

It’s pukka time….grade them or keep them as is?

I won’t blame you if they don’t get decent grades, so much appreciate your input but would you grade them at £70 a pop?

As I said, if you're planning to sell then grade. 

Would I grade my coins? No at the moment because I'm not planning to sell. I will grade for £70 per coin if I deem a coin grade-worthy and want to sell it

1 minute ago, Spyder said:

My honest opinion on the shield, if you can not see the lions eyes on all the lions, I would not bother as the £65 it cost you might not get it back. What is the coin worth now in its raw state? Maybe £480-£500. Will it be worth more than £565 if it gets a AU58 grade, I am not too sure.

One thing about holders that bugs me is when someone has a graded coin and does not protect the holder. The amount of graded coins with scratched holders. Can not understand those who do that

Appreciate your points mate but that’s definitely not an AU58 coin no disrespect 👍🏻

7 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Early shields can grade MS63 or above even if the lions are blurry (usually 3rd lions). I think the key to shield sovs is the obv lustre. I'll try to find some graded examples online to show this

Edit: https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/item/1838-sov-s-3852/206947/-5348363999050247425

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-victoria-gold-sovereign-1842-ms65-pcgs-/a/3093-30105.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

Appreciate your points mate but that’s definitely not an AU58 coin no disrespect 👍🏻

I do not think yours is a AU grade. It will be be a  MS+ grade.  Maybe grading it would be good just to see the results. What ever you do, good luck with it

3 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

@Spyder where can you get slab protectors without going to a NGC box?

I just put mine in Plastic zip bags a little bigger than the slab

5 minutes ago, Spyder said:

I do not think yours is a AU grade. It will be be a  MS+ grade.  Maybe grading it would be good just to see the results. What ever you do, good luck with it

👍🏻I’ll get them done mate I think it’s worth chancing.

its only money I could buy a 1/10th Brit with 😩

Edited by Sovhead

👍🏻I’ll get them done mate I think it’s worth chancing.

Having seen that photo of 1838 with a MS64 grade, yours looks better so should get no less than that.

16 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Having seen that photo of 1838 with a MS64 grade, yours looks better so should get no less than that.

I don’t think mines is anywhere near that tbh that’s an absolute beauty.

hoping for a 62 👍🏻

Edited by Sovhead

6 hours ago, Sovhead said:

I want to keep them for many years but maximise their potential when the selling point comes.

In that case, you're making the presumption that grading will add value long-term.  This may or may not be the case - the rare coins market has had one major collapse in the 1980s, and there's no particular reason why it couldn't happen again.  Also, the 'top pop' fad may or may not last, so it's also not necessarily true that grading will add long-term value to the coins. I can't say for certain whether it would or would not add lasting value, but this is a presumption based on current market conditions that may not be sustained long-term.

Having said that, it's not a huge outlay to get them graded, and the slabs will act to preserve the coins.

If you're going to hold them, you might be better off just doing that and then grading them for sale when you want to flog the coins.  Make sure the packaging you've got them in is PVC-free (more important with silver than gold), and move them to something appropriate if needed.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

5 hours ago, Orpster said:

Yours on left, MS61 on right, pretty comparable and more interestingly we appear to have one from the same die judging by the cracks - fascinating :)

image.thumb.png.f4efea14a3d44e62f7867a5be0ff7b27.png

image.thumb.png.8234b70164760a00f50d77c27917ab06.png

That’s incredible.

They’re very similar condition wise aren’t they?

Edited by Sovhead
Typo

On 10/01/2024 at 00:09, Agaupl said:

@Spyder where can you get slab protectors without going to a NGC box?

I use these are great quality and a nice snug fit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BCPLTS71/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Starting by saying that everyone is free to act freely, i quite dont understand the point in keeping track of “population” of slabbed coins.

a single coin can hypothetically have gone through the process several time, and been awarded with different slab reference every time. Even with the same grade all the time, the finals figures are kind of “fake”.

And that is opening the door to a  misrepresentation of reality (innocent scenario) or to commercial fraud (just imagine how can a top pop be manipulated artificially) 

Imo slabs should have an Anti crack technology (like you cant open crack it without damaging the coin) and only the original ngc - pcgs Whover could safely open it.

A second eventual slab of an already slabbed coin should clearly state it like ms 61 slab number 38373288 previously ms 61 (or whatever) slab number 29282828

Edited by refero

I've cracked just about every slabbed coin I've bought out, none of which is reported on the population reports of PCGS or NGC. So I know a few of their coin figures are off.

Then there are those that crack out and do multiple submissions. So I bet most population reports are inaccurate to say the least.