• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A buying dilemma

Sovhead

2 hours ago, James32 said:

Yeah but if the time comes when you need money and the numismatic market is sleepy, you're up terrible-creek without a paddle. 

Best profit will be in a 1oz coin as its the lowest premium getting in. That being said I turned over 20 1oz coins into sovereigns as they are becoming a bore to try and sell ( smaller market by the week )

I'd go with 4 nice sovereigns as my choice, spot price dependent..they will have similar profit to a 1oz ( just factor in 4 sales instead of one) but far more liquidity,.

I’ve just realised £1600 gets you near pure gold but 4x Sovs same money gets you 22ct 🤔

i think you have first to make clear if you consider yourself a stacker, or a collector, or both (and if that's the case, in which %)

Stacker; just buy at lowest price possible, regardless of year, condition, mint (i m talking about sovs)

Collector (as i am); before buying it is always recommended to check sales, grading, years, mints etc etc. A collector never adds a coin in the collection with a clear intention to re sell it in the near future (but you never know, and overpaying something is never good); for this reason is not "obsessed" as stackers by gold price fluctuation, by dips or highs. A couple years ago i decided to buy myself the best shield sov i could get, and i easily sourced a 1871 in MS64+. Paid something like 1450 euros. Dont really know how much similar coins are selling (if they are selling) for, i just paid what i found to be a correct price in that specific moment, with no intention whatsoever to make a profit off that purchase (of course if i will ever sell in the future and if price would be 2000 euros i wont complain)

Edited by refero

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

This seems like an appropriate topic/place for my seasonal card to all TSF members. Whilst we are all having a ‘Merry Xmas’ thoughts might  be with others not so fortunate as us. The freedom to discuss whether to convert their 1oz gold to Sovereigns etc is probably not a priority for those in a war torn world outside our ‘gold-fish bowl’

But here we are anyway, wishing everyone a merry Xmas & Happy new year. Let’s hope 2024 lives up to that sentiment….🎅🌞Sorry for all the symbolism!

IMG_0250.jpeg

Yeh, you are right. First world problems, sovs or brits. Hopefully 2024 will be a better year 🙏 

If you are absolutely sure you wont be shaken out for 15 years, bullion sovs or a collector’s sov are both fine imho. However, if you are new to collector world, you absolutely should research a LOT before buying. 
If you have the slightest doubt about the collector’s side, go bullion, as, as many have said, they are way way quicker and easier to liquidate…..and you get to play with them in hand like a pirate !

Edited by Oldun

On 17/12/2023 at 23:28, James32 said:

As long as you're near a dealer and accept if spot moons..you will have to go dealer route to sell, then a 1oz is as good a shout as any. I've zero dealers near me and the silly £2.5k Royal mail insurance limit was my deciding factor. 

This is pretty sound advice and would be the only reason why I would dabble in 1oz gold coins as I d fully expect to sell them to a dealer in the end

Edited by 17RSB
Grammar

As others have said it depends on the end game. Personally I stick to sovs as the market is large for them and easy to sell a few at a time.

I do like collectibles as well but only when they are as close to my sovereign price as possible (or multiples thereof).

Often some value at auction on 5 coin sets etc

I’m posting on this thread for free points.

if you follow my sound, professional financial advice…….buy something, change your mind, buy something else, buy high-sell low, Silver is for winners. I’m sure that’ll help.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

Diversify and purchase the below:

PF70 Memorial Sov & 2no. BU sovereigns & 1/10 Britannia or half Sov 

and 1oz special year silver Britannia.

Hope this helps with the dilemma even more..😂😂

1 minute ago, AOB said:

Diversify and purchase the below:

PF70 Memorial Sov & 2no. BU sovereigns & 1/10 Britannia or half Sov 

and 1oz special year silver Britannia.

Hope this helps with the dilemma even more..😂😂

And you just happen to have them ?

🤣🤣🤣