• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A buying dilemma

Sovhead

Just now, AaaGee said:

It has been sead that in the future that 1oz gold maybe out of most people's reach and maybe harder to move on.

I had 2x 1oz brits. I recently turned one of them into sovereigns and have kept one of them. The one i kept is the 1st one i bought so want to keep hold.

Personally id go sovs.

Up to you what way you go.

I’ve done really really well with sovs but just wanted to have some input as to the graded old coins.

There was a guy I read about recently I think he sold like 25 sovs to buy an absolute top notch graded shieldback coin with all the money cuts down on quantity you’re holding and it’s all in 1 coin.

as I said a dilemma.

1 minute ago, stefffana said:

It is more risky in my opinion.

You can sell easily in two hours 25 sovereigns, but for a graded coin at a high value the potential buyers are only very few and to sell it without a big loss will be a pain.

Hmmmm, That makes total sense reading that back I’ll not be doing that 👍🏻

1 minute ago, 9x883 said:

If you're just buying to bury for the next 10 years then 1oz gold would be good, you'd probably be able to sell it to a dealer and still be in pocket. 

Im personally looking at 12 to 15 years in reality. So as i sead above, ive kept one to see how it pans out.

Not certain if that £1600 is hypothetical or not, but I’d advise you to spread your purchases over time. You’re more likely to net a better average than spending it all at once and discovering later on you purchased when spot was at its peak. Then again purchasing in bulk could save you some money. Dilemmas dilemmas.

2 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

I think, and given the scenario you set out-  you’ve probably stacked plenty of bullion in case of a SHTF scenario if you did need to sell, so in this scenario why not purchase a really nice high grade Sovereign.  

High grade historic coins will always find buyer, no matter if you buy Gold or Silver, a Milled or Hammered coin.  Long term, if you buy the right coin, your investment will trump any 1oz bullion purchase you make now.  Taking the leap of faith will be your biggest obstacle.  

Indeed mate. thanks for your input it’s much appreciated.

I do not have any experience/knowledge of legit milled or hammered coins though… don’t get me wrong if they came up for sale here other members would keep me right that’s what’s good about being here 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, Ignorant said:

Not certain if that £1600 is hypothetical or not, but I’d advise you to spread your purchases over time. You’re more likely to net a better average than spending it all at once and discovering later on you purchased when spot was at its peak. Then again purchasing in bulk could save you some money. Dilemmas dilemmas.

Indeed, it is complicating.

Thinking about it some more - how about buying two double sovereigns if you don't already have some?  At the moment you can still get a brand new bullion Memorial double and Coronation double for just over £1600 (directly from RM and the premiums are not completely ridiculous, although not great).  Both may sell for a bit of a premium in 10-15 years' time.

I like 1oz gold coins, particularly those with special designs, but I am not planning on selling them at the moment.

But, if it was me I would buy some half sovs and some 1/10th Britannias, again with special designs.

However, in view of your recent coin that the jeweller restored, I think that you are capable of thinking outside the box.

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).

25 minutes ago, Aldebaran said:

I like 1oz gold coins, particularly those with special designs, but I am not planning on selling them at the moment.

But, if it was me I would buy some half sovs and some 1/10th Britannias, again with special designs.

However, in view of your recent coin that the jeweller restored, I think that you are capable of thinking outside the box.

I already have numerous sovs, 22 halves, 2x 1oz Brits one of them the 2011 and I have a 1/2 oz and 3x1/4 ones as well as a few proof 1/10ths 

The 1818 half Sov I seen the potential.

i bought it bullion with post £213 as a medallion…as a coin it’s now worth a minimum of £340.

very capable A, just wanting to maximise and dbl check incase I’m wrong 👍🏻