• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gazette Proclamation - Harry Potter: The Winged Keys

‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · D · G · REX · F · D · 50 PENCE ·” and the date of the year, and for the reverse a depiction of the character Harry Potter riding a broomstick, attempting to catch a flying key with the inscription “THE WINGED KEYS”. The coin shall have a plain edge.’

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/4479560

Available in 50p gold, silver, and cupro-nickel, and £5 silver.

• 3 months later...
19 hours ago, JamesH said:

Yep, looks like RM are back to knocking out even more c**p (apologies to those that like the item)

Release like this are a "necessary evil " and it's easy for advanced collectors to dump on them.  The industry needs cross genre products to drag fresh blood into the interest and get people into collecting and buying coins.   

I started collecting circulation commemorative 50p's and its  lead into opening so many different avenues for me  with this hobby/interest and now business.  

The biggest challenge the RM will have is pulling new people into the interest with a product aka coinage thats practically become obsolete for some generations already,  give it another 10 or so years and kids of that   generation will not even be handling coins they will never  have a coin in their pocket go to the shop to spend it and receive others coins back in change.   

As a child I felt rich with a newton £1 note in my pocket and I loved the massive 50p's  always thought the queen looked pretty (2nd portrait by Arnold Machin)   this is how I remember queen. Usually I'd be given a £1 note off the old man to walk to the shop and by a packet of fags for him I still remember 10 players No 6 were 76 & 1/2  pence a packet  and would get 10p for going, this was the time where  half pence sweets were a thing, the prise was the 3 pence sweets the white chocolate fish and chips for those who remember those.........There is so much nostalgia with handling currency  going forward I doubt there will be the same for those  tapping a card or phone for future generations.  

4 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

As a child I felt rich with a newton £1 note in my pocket and I loved the massive 50p's  always thought the queen looked pretty (2nd portrait by Arnold Machin)   this is how I remember queen. Usually I'd be given a £1 note off the old man to walk to the shop and by a packet of fags for him I still remember 10 players No 6 were 76 & 1/2  pence a packet

Yes, it’s funny but I always see the Queen in my mind exactly as she was on a pound note. And I used to spend my dinner money on 10 JPS for only 50p 😝 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Release like this are a "necessary evil " and it's easy for advanced collectors to dump on them.  The industry needs cross genre products to drag fresh blood into the interest and get people into collecting and buying coins.   

I started collecting circulation commemorative 50p's and its  lead into opening so many different avenues for me  with this hobby/interest and now business.  

The biggest challenge the RM will have is pulling new people into the interest with a product aka coinage thats practically become obsolete for some generations already,  give it another 10 or so years and kids of that   generation will not even be handling coins they will never  have a coin in their pocket go to the shop to spend it and receive others coins back in change.   

As a child I felt rich with a newton £1 note in my pocket and I loved the massive 50p's  always thought the queen looked pretty (2nd portrait by Arnold Machin)   this is how I remember queen. Usually I'd be given a £1 note off the old man to walk to the shop and by a packet of fags for him I still remember 10 players No 6 were 76 & 1/2  pence a packet  and would get 10p for going, this was the time where  half pence sweets were a thing, the prise was the 3 pence sweets the white chocolate fish and chips for those who remember those.........There is so much nostalgia with handling currency  going forward I doubt there will be the same for those  tapping a card or phone for future generations.  

Totally (and for my sins I picked up the first set of the HP coins as well as the Star Wars ones more recently). I absolutely agree that variety is necessary to drive engagement. Just think release fatigue and what appears to be RM’s complete disregard for customer service and quality control has left me feeling a bit flat specific to their brand right now, that’s all

16 minutes ago, JamesH said:

Totally (and for my sins I picked up the first set of the HP coins as well as the Star Wars ones more recently). I absolutely agree that variety is necessary to drive engagement. Just think release fatigue and what appears to be RM’s complete disregard for customer service and quality control has left me feeling a bit flat specific to their brand right now, that’s all

Not knocking you mate, I do also feel the pain and exhaustion with RM releases.  They really need to make some changes and for what little its done I've tried speaking with the RM but its fallen on deaf ears.    I asked to speak to speak with them in person and I'd even sign myself to a NDA as I've got some ideas for products that would work.  

Just banging out one commemorative after another  has put the RM in ever decreasing circles,  clearly evident of the postponement of the Monarch series.    

I love the RM but the management team and decision makers make some very poor decisions.   It's like they are not bothered or even have the slightest clue what collectors want.    

I could rattle off 3-4 ideas that would work and would give them new product lines that people like us would want to buy for years to come.    

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

You should have bought canned beans with your change. You'd be a beans billionaire today Dave food enough to survive any zombie apocalypse 

3 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

If I give you £1.50p in old money can you get me 20 Woodbines next time you shop?!😀

PS. Keep the change!

IMG_0560.jpeg

Edited by Britannia47

2 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

After buying the HP set for my children they have now developed an interest in coins and are tracking the gold price. 

Whilst we may find them tacky they are the gateway coins for the next generation of TSF members