• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Prices for a ms70 2022 quintuple sovereign

Hi I was wondering if I could get any advice regarding the pricing of a 2022 jubilee/ memorial quintuple ms70 sovereign. 

I’m looking at potential picking a couple of them up but not 100% on the prices that they go for. I’ve seen some dealers selling a ungraded memorial for £2700 and the jubilee one for £2900 but if I was to purchase one already graded at a ms70 how much should I expect to pay? I’ve seen a few graded ms70 jubilee’s sold in auctions for £2500/2600 + 6% and £2400 for the memorial. Are these prices realistic? 

Thanks for any advice you have. 

1 minute ago, James32 said:

I'd imagine memorial £2600ish...jubilee £2900ish

Ah that’s kinda the ballpark figure I had in mind! I couldn’t find too many being sold on here so wasn’t 100% sure on it. 

Would there be much of a premium if the box + coa would be included? Or is that something thrown in with the price? 

1 minute ago, SovereignStacker4 said:

Ah that’s kinda the ballpark figure I had in mind! I couldn’t find too many being sold on here so wasn’t 100% sure on it. 

Would there be much of a premium if the box + coa would be included? Or is that something thrown in with the price? 

As both came as single coins ( not part of sets) then box and coa should be a given tbh.

Whereas if it was proofs, I'd say they only came in sets and the boxes may cost extra.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, James32 said:

As both came as single coins ( not part of sets) then box and coa should be a given tbh.

Whereas if it was proofs, I'd say they only came in sets and the boxes may cost extra.

Ah gotcha! I have been looking at the proofs but they seem a bit pricey for me atm. Are the matte versions just as desirable amongst collectors or do they get overlooked for the proof versions? 

Cheers for the advice btw, still on a learning curve when it comes to graded coins.  

1 minute ago, SovereignStacker4 said:

Ah gotcha! I have been looking at the proofs but they seem a bit pricey for me atm. Are the matte versions just as desirable amongst collectors or do they get overlooked for the proof versions? 

Cheers for the advice btw, still on a learning curve when it comes to graded coins.  

Proofs are more desirable tbh, but that comes with an extra price tag as they could only be got in the 5 coin sets. That being said the matt versions are still sought after and will hold their premium in years to come. Currently the market is in a lull, so its the best time to buy price wise. 

Just now, James32 said:

Proofs are more desirable tbh, but that comes with an extra price tag as they could only be got in the 5 coin sets. That being said the matt versions are still sought after and will hold their premium in years to come. Currently the market is in a lull, so it’s the best time to buy price wise. 

Ahh I gotcha! I’ve watched a few YouTube videos and everyone seems to say the same about quintuples being the one to go for, don’t want to jinx it but it sounds like it’s the safest bet.   

I managed to pick up a proof jubilee full sovereign the other day but since then the 5 sovereign has caught my eyes. I’ll probably shift a few things and try pick one up soon while the market is quiet.

I really appreciate the advice mate, thanks a lot, you’re a gem! 

3 minutes ago, SovereignStacker4 said:

Ahh I gotcha! I’ve watched a few YouTube videos and everyone seems to say the same about quintuples being the one to go for, don’t want to jinx it but it sounds like it’s the safest bet.   

I managed to pick up a proof jubilee full sovereign the other day but since then the 5 sovereign has caught my eyes. I’ll probably shift a few things and try pick one up soon while the market is quiet.

I really appreciate the advice mate, thanks a lot, you’re a gem! 

Gorgeous coins and really show off the designs in all there glory.

13 hours ago, lubi29 said:

https://www.chards.co.uk/2022-elizabeth-ii-memorial-gold-quintuple-bu-matt-ngc-ms-70/18964 

If you can get 2-3% cash back even better. @LawrenceChard is original box , COA included?

This product is available with a COA and original Box!

13 hours ago, lubi29 said:

https://www.chards.co.uk/2022-elizabeth-ii-memorial-gold-quintuple-bu-matt-ngc-ms-70/18964 

If you can get 2-3% cash back even better. @LawrenceChard is original box , COA included?

Ah that’s perfect, not sure how I missed that one! Cheers for letting know! 

25 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Hello, I have this Quintuple  Platinum Jubilee for sale at 3350 Euros (with Box&COA) iPM me if interested 

P1012398.jpg

P1012399-1.jpg

Hi mate, thanks for the offer but I’m a little dry off funds atm so will have to give it a pass but a very nice coin nonetheless! 

Quintuples are certainly big coins which show all of the detail in larger format than smaller sovs (the Memorial sov design perhaps in particular). What I would say is that if you start collecting them then you’re entering more of a niche market should you ever want to sell. A lot of collectors maybe don’t have the funds to buy quintuples and stick to smaller versions, in particular the full £1 sovereign. 

You could argue that maybe the fractional sovs could become more popular than the full sov should the price of gold continue to rise historically and the full isn’t as affordable.

A good compromise could be the double if the quintuple is out of your immediate price range. Being the second largest coin it could very well appeal to you. It’s a lot more affordable than the break the bank quintuple, yet shows larger detail than the smaller sovs.

30 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

Quintuples are certainly big coins which show all of the detail in larger format than smaller sovs (the Memorial sov design perhaps in particular). What I would say is that if you start collecting them then you’re entering more of a niche market should you ever want to sell. A lot of collectors maybe don’t have the funds to buy quintuples and stick to smaller versions, in particular the full £1 sovereign. 

You could argue that maybe the fractional sovs could become more popular than the full sov should the price of gold continue to rise historically and the full isn’t as affordable.

A good compromise could be the double if the quintuple is out of your immediate price range. Being the second largest coin it could very well appeal to you. It’s a lot more affordable than the break the bank quintuple, yet shows larger detail than the smaller sovs.

I completely agree with everything you’ve just said and for that reason I don't plan on going all in on them. As of now the plan is to just get 1 maybe 2 of each (jubilee/memorial) quintuples just to scratch that itch of wanting to add some to the collection but after that if I do decide to want anymore proofs as you said the full sovs or doubles will be my likely choice. 

But to me personally the fact that they may be harder to move on is something I see as a positive thing. I struggle holding onto my purchases for very long as I always see a new coin pop up that I really want and end up selling something that I’ve only just brought at a loss to make quick funds for a new purchase but perhaps if I have something that’s a little harder to sell it’ll actually encourage me to hold onto it and not take a loss on it so easily. I know that might sounds backwards and is probably just an excuse I’ve come up with in my head to justify me spending a big chunk on 1 coin but I’m sticking with it 😅

Holding on to your best coins is not a bad thing, so your plan is sound. As you’re listed as a stacker, should you need some cash in a hurry then you have the flexibility to sell off some of your bullion and keep the proofs perhaps. My itch was taking the plunge to buy my first ever gold coin 5 years ago. We’ve all faced the same predicament - and come back for more!