• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Change is Coming! New King Charles 3 definitive designs

It seems that a mintage figure of 500,000 is doing the rounds which is driving big prices on them right now. A coin youtuber called Christopher Collects visits the RM regularly and shared the expected mintage is 5 million. My advice - sell them while they're hot.

I wish they'd hurry up and get a good quantity of Charles coins into circulation. I'm bored of all these Elizabeth II coins, it's been boring since 1993 having only one monarch on the entire coinage. I hope they can become common enough in the time that Charles is king so that there's still plenty knocking around when William's time comes. It'd be great having three monarchs co-circulating. There's been nothing like that since decimalisation.

Edited by SidS

Before the demonetisation of the old larger 5p, you could theoretically find shillings going back to 1816 in your change.  So theoretically all the way up until the end of 1990 there were circulating coins with George III, George IV, William IV, VIctoria, Edward VII, George V, George VI and Elizabeth II on them.

The older larger 10p coins were demonetised in 1993 but the old Florins/Two Shillings coins only dated back to Victoria (1849) and were a different size before 1887.

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

Before the demonetisation of the old larger 5p, you could theoretically find shillings going back to 1816 in your change.  So theoretically all the way up until the end of 1990 there were circulating coins with George III, George IV, William IV, VIctoria, Edward VII, George V, George VI and Elizabeth II on them.

The older larger 10p coins were demonetised in 1993 but the old Florins/Two Shillings coins only dated back to Victoria (1849) and were a different size before 1887.

Reality was somewhat different as pre-war silver coins weren't circulated as the metal value was above the face value.

I remember in the 1960s you could get a penny in your change with a Victoria Old Head to an Elizabeth Young Head, although the former were very well worn.

2 hours ago, DdraigAur said:

What could you find still then? Did it change after the resizing of the 5p and 10p?

George VI florins were still an everyday sight up until the end of June 1993. Go back earlier to 1990, as others have said, and shillings were also to be found. Whilst my memory does indeed stretch that far back, I don't recall seeing any George VI shillings in circulation in the late 80s, there were the odd Elizabeth ones. The florins however were ten a penny. 😁

Five pences were minted in larger quantities in the 1970s and 80s perhaps than the 10p coins. The 10p coins had some very long mintage gaps, clearly not a priority.

I worked in a betting shop in 1990/91 and during the year I was there, I received three silver florins (1922, 1929 and 1941) and one silver shilling (1935) into the till.  With the shop manager's permission, I swapped them for normal 5p/10p coins.  I sold two of these coins for scrap silver value, and still have the other two because they were in pretty reasonable condition.  The 1929 florin is VF or thereabouts:

N Florin 1929.jpg

Edited by Stuntman

3 hours ago, Stuntman said:

I worked in a betting shop in 1990/91 and during the year I was there, I received three silver florins (1922, 1929 and 1941) and one silver shilling (1935) into the till.  With the shop manager's permission, I swapped them for normal 5p/10p coins.  I sold two of these coins for scrap silver value, and still have the other two because they were in pretty reasonable condition.  The 1929 florin is VF or thereabouts:

N Florin 1929.jpg

Those were the days - 2 bobs!  Glad you kept a couple. Used to collect them years ago so dug out these, a mixture of Unc.925 & 900 Silver, except for the ‘51 which is a proof in cupro-nickel….

IMG_0370.jpeg

IMG_0373.jpeg

Edited by Britannia47

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

Those were the days - 2 bobs!  Glad you kept a couple. Used to collect them years ago so dug out these, a mixture of Unc.925 & 900 Silver, except for the ‘51 which is a proof in cupro-nickel….

IMG_0370.jpeg

IMG_0373.jpeg

All nice, but the 51 looks great😮

11 hours ago, Stuntman said:

N Florin 1929.jpg

Nice! I once saw a George V florin in change, that was about 1992. The local post office lady had received it in change earlier that day. I could have a look but she wouldn't let me swap it!

Edited by SidS