• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Does anyone else feel disappointed by the new Star Wars coins

I was hoping for some decent designs, Vader, X-Wings, Storm/Clone/FO troopers, Tie-Fighters/interceptors/Bombers chewbacca, R2D2 etc etc etc

And yes they have announced R2D2 with CP30 but tbh I don't want them together on the same coin, I wanted them separated even though they appear together in the films (except PM - as C3P0 was still being built) 

I wanted to collect the characters individually. I wanted a darks side collection and light side collection, a trooper collection, a clone collection and first order collection (even though I didn't like the new films the FO troopers still have cool suit armour) 

I'm annoyed they had to do 50p coins, when I wanted Thomas the Tank Engine. I'm annoyed the mint never listens, I'm annoyed that I know the quality will be rubbish, mintage high to cater for their bottom lines and devalue the sets. 

The good news I got today was my memorial sovereign is on its way back from grading with some bank notes from PMG. That my coronation sovereign 3 coin set arrived with my ngc grading submitter and have been sent off. 

Who will be avoiding this Star Wars set and be focusing on just filling in the gaps of their sovereign collection. I just Need to get a double proof memorial and coronation and quarter proof jubilee then I'm moving onto 2017, then 2002 proof sovereigns, I see these coins as far more worthy. 

So don't find my lack of faith disturbing, just I can't be bothered to buy another 50p or Special Royal Mint release. 🤔 

I sometimes get tempted to buy the movie themed coins, but then I always just end up buying the cheaper bullion. I do collect non PM coins and rounds though. But as I say, when it comes to PM (and not being rich) I go for cheapest way to add weight.

5 hours ago, daca said:

not even for a millisecond, I had 0 expectation from RM

That's why I'm not buying, I would have if they changed the design and made the series bigger, and not in 50p coins. 

I also had zero expectations, I’m not a Star Wars memorabilia person either so was never going to buy it, but even I’m disappointed. 

theres plenty of offerings from the New Zealand mint that are better. As for the choices of designs I wonder if RM were limited from a licensing standpoint? Either way the force isn’t with this one. 

Aaaahhh😉

So the new Star Wars coins seem to be selling really really..... Slowly. Plenty of time to think about them

https://www.royalmint.com/star-wars/r2-d2-and-c-3po/?utm_campaign=2023-07-com-star-wars&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=265669070&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_pjfeipSFyhHdR42a1kkW5reKbKzBat4fztxszrfzu_GXk2E1vBEcrZhF9JYLB0P8V6NYuBoWVloadTxYJRRAL_NWVhQ&utm_content=265669070&utm_source=hs_email

Its a real shame, so much potential to do some very interesting designs. Whats been released is something you would expect as a freebee children's toy out of a cereal box or fast food happy meal.

Edited by monkey

Whilst I feel it lacks imagination, it’s still a Royal Mint Star Wars Collection and I’ve always been a big Star Wars fan so have grabbed the 1oz silver. 5oz and 2oz silvers have already sold out but maybe the rest will take a while. I just want to own them though, resale has zero interest for me on these

7 minutes ago, JamesH said:

Whilst I feel it lacks imagination, it’s still a Royal Mint Star Wars Collection and I’ve always been a big Star Wars fan so have grabbed the 1oz silver. 5oz and 2oz silvers have already sold out but maybe the rest will take a while. I just want to own them though, resale has zero interest for me on these

I think the mintage on the 2 and 5oz coins was so low there will always be a scarcity value there.

The colourised coins to me seem to lack in artistic quality, the plain coins with the detail stamped in look of a higher quality but the inherent design just seems uninspired (personal opinion).

I'm sure they will bring joy to thoughs who buy them and ultimately that's what these collector pieces are for.

Fingers crossed the RM will focus more on quality and not quantity in the not too distant future.

I am not touching these.  No interest whatsoever.  This is like a gimmick coin to me like those coins from Niue, Palau, etc. that have everything imaginable as a subject.  No thanks.

Now, if the RM produces a coin of a crowned Anne Jessopp sitting on her throne, I'd buy it at all costs!

2 hours ago, JeffM said:

I am not touching these.  No interest whatsoever.  This is like a gimmick coin to me like those coins from Niue, Palau, etc. that have everything imaginable as a subject.  No thanks.

Now, if the RM produces a coin of a crowned Anne Jessopp sitting on her throne, I'd buy it at all costs!

No interest to me either but there are loads of VERY serious Star Wars fans so I feel like these will sell well. And IMO they will keep their premiums if not increase in value. 

A fan here, have virtually all of the original 3/4 inch figures and plenty of the ships and creatures too after seeing Star Wars at the cinema when it first came out.

As for TRM collection, meh.  Too little, too late as they have been done to death by so many mints already.

If I was to buy any SW related metals it would be the beskan bars.

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

On 10/07/2023 at 11:18, monkey said:

So the new Star Wars coins seem to be selling really really..... Slowly. Plenty of time to think about them

https://www.royalmint.com/star-wars/r2-d2-and-c-3po/?utm_campaign=2023-07-com-star-wars&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=265669070&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_pjfeipSFyhHdR42a1kkW5reKbKzBat4fztxszrfzu_GXk2E1vBEcrZhF9JYLB0P8V6NYuBoWVloadTxYJRRAL_NWVhQ&utm_content=265669070&utm_source=hs_email

Its a real shame, so much potential to do some very interesting designs. Whats been released is something you would expect as a freebee children's toy out of a cereal box or fast food happy meal.

If they sell as slow as you are saying they are, I would hope my next box of rice crispness comes with them, I do remember packets of crisps and you would find a square pack (not the salt n shake variety) and they would have up to £20 in cash money or vouchers for free crisps. I remember getting a multipack with 3 packs all with £20 notes inside when I was at school. Obviously the mint won't even be able to give them away. Too much, over dhuch a short time span I still have money to spend on coins but only gold and silver and not in 50p form. 

Also the mintages are way too high, unless they put them into circulation as regular CuNi with low mintages still they won't do well as the silver proof coins have a high mintage. 

Well...Fore Me these coins are the best coins so far ever in star wars  "coins" don't know why you lot hate so much design where this one are much more better and nicer then new Zeeland ones ?? nwm looks like toy?  can you see how elegant are RM?  or you don't know style of U.K. ... haha any way these are epic and most important iconic  characters in star wars  even yoda couldn't be paired with someone so ...  this collection will look nice on desk  specially ( 5oz series is the best for me ) not like others coins  what you hiding in boxex :D 99% off you 

On 08/07/2023 at 19:59, SilverPlatinum said:

An ugly design for the first coin!

They need to hire a beauty VIP at the Royal Mint. Or at least take a the public opinion about those designs before they mint them!

show me better coins with star wars :D  love to see 

It's like The Royal Mint hasn't heard of New Zealand Mint

The NZM has set the standard for pop culture silver coins, and when it comes to Star Wars, NZM released 100s of different silver coins, posters, statues, etc