• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

"Don't tell the wife" - an outdated trope

16 minutes ago, Captinjack said:

In the same vein, my Mrs asked me yesterday what she could do with the metals if any thing happened to me,so I had to explain in layman's terms,now I have to sleep with one eye open and check the car before I use it 🤣

Wait till she finds out you lost it all on that boating trip...

The saying "Happy wife, happy life" is incorrect.  It should be "No wife, happy life" IMHO.

If how you spend YOUR money is determined by how much it might affect your day to day relationship with someone then I strongly suggest you reconsider that relationship or, alternatively, reconsider how open you are with that person about you spending habits.  The latter approach is particularly useful, I hear, for when such controlling and abusive relationships break down 😉

On 23/04/2023 at 20:40, FourNinesFine said:

There are lots of the "Don't tell my wife" types of tropes that tend to spring up around any hobby / passtime that involves spending money.

I feel they can 'tarnish' the reputation of stacking / collecting / investing as an activity - making it out as something that can't be enjoyed and explored together; but it also cheapens the relationships themselves. It's the same as the welcome mats and door signs designed for Amazon and UPS deliveries... "Hide packages from husband."  Surely, we can do better?

Anyway, in completely unrelated news, I had my first experience of an online Precious Metals auction today. For God's sake, don't tell the wife!!

😂

I have a good friend who is a very keen fisherman (carp I believe).  He buys seriously expensive kit - and lots of it.  Tents, rods all sorts of kit.

He hides it from his wife by having new purchases delivered to a friends house and rents a pretty large storage unit where it is all beautifully arranged.  Hanging on walls, from the ceiling etc.

He keeps a single rod and box at home which is old and he never uses and takes it with him when he goes.  His wife is a dragon of the “old school”, so can understand why!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I've always been of the mindset if i need to lie to my other half about money or buying things either what i am doing is a bit wrong or i got the wrong one.

Number of people who buy from me asking to either hide whats in orders or i can't as she'll kill me - I have guys in their 40's and 50's saying that over a couple of hundred quid. If you can't afford it its nothing to be ashamed of but dont if you can don't hide it.

5 hours ago, dicker said:

I have a good friend who is a very keen fisherman (carp I believe).  He buys seriously expensive kit - and lots of it.  Tents, rods all sorts of kit.

He hides it from his wife by having new purchases delivered to a friends house and rents a pretty large storage unit where it is all beautifully arranged.  Hanging on walls, from the ceiling etc.

He keeps a single rod and box at home which is old and he never uses and takes it with him when he goes.  His wife is a dragon of the “old school”, so can understand why!

This is an abusive relationship. Call it what it is.

4 hours ago, FourNinesFine said:

I have a long-suffering uncle. Seeing him and my aunt when I was a kid was a good schooling in what was important in a relationship... and what to avoid.

"Dragon of the old school" indeed.

Glad you got the chance early to avoid this type of abusive relationship.  I wish I had known earlier.

3 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

You guys have it all wrong  get her to buy you the goodies!  

That only ever happened to me once.  I got a nice watch but ... it was bought with the money I gave her because she didn't work 🤦‍♂️