• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbies, how do you see the current bank turmoil and the effect on gold?

As a relative newbie (summer 2022?) I have followed closely the discussion of the current banking situation on the Gold monitoring thread GB with great interest and have to say impressed by the knowledge that many posters have on this subject, this is the first time that many of us newbies, will have experienced a significant rise in the spot price and raises the same questions, buying, selling, waiting to see if it will dip - or not, the posts on the why's and wherefores  by the more experienced I have found really interesting and informative, thank you.

Not being interested in selling but still wanting to buy, the main question is when, I have decided that if things steady at say 1600 (or below ) to say 1620 then I will be happy to buy, if it regularly see saws say between 1600 and 1640 then I will hold off until it steadies does this make sense? 

I would love to know how all the other newbies out there are reacting to all of this, please share your thoughts!

I try to buy gold with my head and silver with my heart, sometimes..........I just get it wrong!

11 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

Hi, 

As you have previously purchased from yours truly I would like to offer my opinion. The price action between £1600 &£1640 is miniscule and I don't think should be the basis of your decision whether or not purchase. 

If you don't mind me saying -

If I remember correctly when you purchased the items of me, spot dipped and quite significantly too.  

Right now the items are under spot. 

No one can time purchases, because there are quite a few variables in play such as spot price, exchange rate USD-GBP and premiums on coins, politics etc.

Depending on how much you want to buy I would suggest you average your purchases out during a period of time. 

Gold only popped off recently due to the SVB / banking issues. If this event did not occur there was a slight amount of negative sentiment towards the metals and I don't think prices would be anywhere near where they are now. 

In the grand scheme of things £100 here or there does not really make that much a difference. 

I simply take pleasure in the fact that I have a tangible asset which is away from the 'banking system'. 

Buy as and when you see fit 😉

Well said this man. 

Can't add anything to improve and agree whole heartedly. 

Every previous Time I think oops I've bought at the ATH, along comes another ATH and washes those fears away. Zoom out on the charts and it's a beautiful picture. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

16 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

Hi, 

As you have previously purchased from yours truly I would like to offer my opinion. The price action between £1600 &£1640 is miniscule and I don't think should be the basis of your decision whether or not purchase. 

If you don't mind me saying -

If I remember correctly when you purchased the items of me, spot dipped and quite significantly too.  

Right now the items are under spot. 

No one can time purchases, because there are quite a few variables in play such as spot price, exchange rate USD-GBP and premiums on coins, politics etc.

Depending on how much you want to buy I would suggest you average your purchases out during a period of time. 

Gold only popped off recently due to the SVB / banking issues. If this event did not occur there was a slight amount of negative sentiment towards the metals and I don't think prices would be anywhere near where they are now. 

In the grand scheme of things £100 here or there does not really make that much a difference. 

I simply take pleasure in the fact that I have a tangible asset which is away from the 'banking system'. 

Buy as and when you see fit 😉

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

Well said this man. 

Can't add anything to improve and agree whole heartedly. 

Every previous Time I think oops I've bought at the ATH, along comes another ATH and washes those fears away. Zoom out on the charts and it's a beautiful picture. 

Thanks for your input which is much appreciated and understand where you are coming from, as someone new to this I had become used to seeing the prices, to start 1480/90 which then moved up into the 1520's/30's + very nice but not too dramatic and still comfortable to buy at but then this latest surge sort of takes me out of my comfort zone, if it stays at these levels for a reasonable period it would become the normal "comfort zone" but I would be happy to buy, at the lower end, certain pieces that I would be after but not sure of "ordinary" sovereigns - just yet, it got me thinking how do people just starting out see this? 

Could have phrased the title better, (tried editing it but not able to do so) I wasn't looking for an in-depth insight into the banking turmoil from people new to this game but more as to it how would affect their decisions to buy or not.

I try to buy gold with my head and silver with my heart, sometimes..........I just get it wrong!

"Gold outperforms everything" 

" We shouldn't think of it as buying or investing in gold , rather it is converting our Fiat currencies back to real money.

The banks don't want or like us doing that conversion from Fiat , they would rather keep it under their control so that it can be destroyed by compound inflation and compound charges. So you think your saving but in fact your Fiat is reducing over time.

1 minute ago, danieldorkins said:

Thanks for your input which is much appreciated and understand where you are coming from, as someone new to this I had become used to seeing the prices, to start 1480/90 which then moved up into the 1520's/30's + very nice but not too dramatic and still comfortable to buy at but then this latest surge sort of takes me out of my comfort zone, if it stays at these levels for a reasonable period it would become the normal "comfort zone" but I would be happy to buy, at the lower end, certain pieces that I would be after but not sure of "ordinary" sovereigns - just yet, it got me thinking how do people just starting out see this? 

Could have phrased the title better, (tried editing it but not able to do so) I wasn't looking for an in-depth insight into the banking turmoil from people new to this game but more as to it how would affect their decisions to buy or not.

I get all your points, had all the same thoughts along the road myself. Do understand and agree with stability before going again, but think of it like this.

Do I think gold will ever be at £2.5k within 5 - 10 years, if the answer is a resounding yes that most think, then buying at £1600-£1700-£1800 etc will be a part of our strategies. 

We all say long-term plan, but you truly have to get comfortable with this.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Totally agree with @Tn21

The majority of us are small fry financially to earn a serious living on Gold fluctuations. Buy for the long haul and have your eggs in lots of baskets.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

45 minutes ago, James32 said:

Every previous Time I think oops I've bought at the ATH, along comes another ATH and washes those fears away.

One of my mentors once said to me when I was worrying If I was about to over pay for the house I'm in. He said " I don't know why your worried. It may look a bit expensive in the moment but once a year or two have gone by. and you look back. The house will look cheap." I think is the same with gold. I remember my grandmother buying a sovereign for about £36 when I was young. the conversation in the car on the way home between my mother and her was along the lines of my mother telling her she shouldn't have wasted her money. I know the time scale is large but £36 from the 80's in gold or cash. Which would you choose.  

8 hours ago, danieldorkins said:

, waiting to see if it will dip - or not

Nothing wrong with waiting for a dip but make sure you set some boundaries otherwise you will never buy. Pound cost averaging is mostly useful as it takes the emotion of it away which suits some but I don't have the funds to do this on a regular basis

For a time I split my precious metal buying funds into two. I had one part for pound cost averaging. This meant that I set a period of time between purchases and stuck to that no matter if the price went up or down. Dependant upon availability I bought. This helped with the buyers remorse that crept in when price was high in the early days. Then the second part I used to buy the dip so to speak. Using my pound cost average as a guide. Buying when my purchase would lower my average cost (this approach only worked in the early days). Nowadays I buy a few when the price drops in relative terms.

After a while after my confidence in the PM's market had built up I have sold at times of high prices but always kept the funds and purchased back at a lower price points (sometimes it worked well, others just a little over even). I think that provided the fund you use are not needed for day to day expenses. My approach could serve you well. With the caveat that, I am not a financial advisor and that everybody's circumstances are different. You will have to tailor your buying to your own circumstances. 

Consider:

In 2002, I thought shield sovereigns were expensive at £120 per coin.

In 2006, I thought regular sovereigns were expensive at £120 per coin.

In 2012, I thought sovereigns were expensive at £250 per coin.

In 2016, I thought sovereigns were expensive at £295 per coin.

In 2023, I think sovereigns are expensive at £400 per coin.

There's a pattern I think. I wish I'd bought a gold £5 when they were £650 each.

Edited by SidS

The price of gold can/has declined for protracted periods at times, its difficult to stay the course under such conditions. One method that 'works' is to 50/50 2MCL/Gold, yearly rebalanced. 2MCL is a 2x FT250 stock index tracker, and 50/50 yearly rebalanced with gold will yield similar rewards to if you were 100% in a FT250 index tracker (total returns), whilst the yearly rebalancing will see the number of ounces of gold you hold wax and wane. Over prolonged declines in gold prices you'll tend to have more ounces of gold accumulated in your safe/wherever, when gold does well you'll tend to see ounces being held declining, to add more stock shares.

Hold 2MCL in a ISA (and/or SIPP), Britannia or Sovereign gold coins for the gold.

Nice having half of your portfolio outside of the regular financial system, in-hand (or under the mattress/wherever). When others are fretting about their bank deposited cash and there are bank runs, fear of their money not being returned (above the FSCS £85K amount - that whilst that may seem high when you're young, can become too little in your later years), you can just smile. Just keep it quiet though, rule 1 of owning gold is ... you don't own any gold, otherwise that risks its security.

Don't know of a UK equivalent of this US web site/data, but as a guide PV

For 2MCL/Gold 50/50 since the start of 2016 to end of 2022 and that yielded a 75% gain (£10,000 initial increased to £17,500 portfolio value), a 8.4% annualised rate of return/reward.

Keep at that until you get near to retirement, then sell perhaps half of the portfolio into cash deposits/Gilts before entering retirement, carrying on as before with the other half, and likely you'll do OK/well.

You'll likely hit problems when trying to buy 2MCL, as the rules are such that you have to declare/demonstrate that you're a "sophisticated investor". Usually the test/questions aren't that onerous - more a case of the broker being able to demonstrate that "you were warned" about the risks in order to cover their own backs.

I have noticed all the crypto friendly banks in the UK have now limited payments to an exchange to £5000 a month for our own protection. Seems a lot but part of me thinks that it's an attempt to stop it being used as a method of payment and to keep it more of a speculative asset. 

27 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

I have noticed all the crypto friendly banks in the UK have now limited payments to an exchange to £5000 a month for our own protection. Seems a lot but part of me thinks that it's an attempt to stop it being used as a method of payment and to keep it more of a speculative asset. 

Also to prevent people moving into another transferable means out of the bank. Easy to move £20k in BTC, bit harder to do that with silver or gold

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

I have been a very small stacker/collector for a couple of years as I do not have a lot of spare cash for buying precious metals (if I had the money I would be stacked high!) but I do not really look at the cost at the time of purchase. I am buying for at least a 20 year investment and if I don’t need to sell will leave it to my kids.

Financial/bank issues do matter but I only buy what I can afford.

5 minutes ago, danieldorkins said:

Just a thanks to #Gruff for your post on Monday, lot of interesting reading and info.

My pleasure, I hope to one day be able to pay back for all the help on here

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/