• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any Love for Silver Britannias??

Danny-boy

5 hours ago, Cyberfrogiii said:

was disappointed at first myself & actually truly worried it could be a fake. I am convinced it is genuine, and the design is great. I'm looking forward to acquiring a newer one to see the progression in quality

It looks a bit suspect to me. Is that really such a lack of detail on the lower half of the coin or just a blurry photo?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got 1 Panda which I love (I want more) and my only Aussie is a gold coin, but the design is great as well, though the 10th is a tough one to appreciate artistically, being so small. I don't know much about Russian coins at all.

I guess I don't really know. It was taken on an angle to avoid the glare and I think the photo doesn't show everything I can see when I move it around in my hand. It's a snake privy and Is the first Britannia I've seen outside of photos. 

I have been trying to get a date run on bullion Britannias but older years are hard to find and more expensive. Can anyone recommend a good place (not ebay)?

I'd like to get my hands on some of the new designs but as they're only in BU and proof they're more than a bit more expensive. My question is is paying extra for proof coins worth it over BU or are you just paying more for a nice presentation box?

2 hours ago, DrKarlMoneys said:

I have been trying to get a date run on bullion Britannias but older years are hard to find and more expensive. Can anyone recommend a good place (not ebay)?

They shouldn't be hard to find. There are many on here who will have spares, I have of most earlier years. The are more expensive yes.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I purchased a couple 2020s for my newborn (he can have them when he turns 18).  I bought some maple leafs, some eagles and some Britannias for him, and truthfully I'm just getting started stacking but the Britannias looks pretty amazing, or at least the 2020s do.  I know this is an old thread, but maybe there have been some huge improvements in the last 6 years?  I'd say of the three silver coins I purchased, they're all on par with one another and spectacular. 

On 14/06/2020 at 06:03, Cyberfrogiii said:

I received my first Britannia just today from an ebay purchase. 2013 

I was disappointed at first myself & actually truly worried it could be a fake. I am convinced it is genuine, and the design is great. I'm looking forward to acquiring a newer one to see the progression in quality

20200614_013539(1).jpg

I would do some tests on it if i was you!

I wonder how people would have reacted years ago when this thread was started if you told them Britannias would be snapped up left right and centre for over 50% premium in 2020...😂

2020's are lovely to look at but they don't suffer anything more than a delicate touch, they seem to be the most susceptible to scratching and edged knock of any .999 silver I've come across. It doesn't help that the Royal Mint apparently frisbee them into their tubes with gay abandon...😕

I guess I need a scale anyway. The sound test didn't help me much because at the moment all my coins/rounds are different and sound different. I hate that we have to worry about this, but I know that it's part of the game especially when eBay is up to bat. Thanks for the advice.

I know this is of topic for this thread, but Indiebass insured me to share. I wish I knew more about finances when my son was born. He's turning 18 this year and I'm gifting him with a letter in an envelope (stamped & canceled with Elvis "first day of release" with a sheet of the same stamps, explaining how I've taken care of him as a child, and now it's his time to take care of himself but I'm starting him off gifting him a retirement starter collection of a few stocks, cryptos, checking acct, cash, copper bars aluminum bars, silver & gold coins, some goldbacks and uncut dollars and whatever else I think of to add. I really hope I can inspire HIM to learn more about preparing for his future.

6 hours ago, Witcher said:

I would not say that I am a collector, but I have some newer ones.  For the right price, I will give just about anything except "German Silver" a try. 

Even Tibetan Silver?

31 minutes ago, CactusJackSWAg said:

I'm waiting for delivery of my first Britannia. Based on photos and vids, I believe it might be my favorite sovereign coin, or at least tied with our ASE. Hopefully, it will be as beautiful in person as it is in print!

Noting the prices in the USA for the silver Britannias and that even at these prices many dates are unavailable, get in touch if you are on the lookout for Brits.

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Noting the prices in the USA for the silver Britannias and that even at these prices many dates are unavailable, get in touch if you are on the lookout for Brits.

Thanks Pete. I want to stack Brits in the near future, after I accumulate some gold. They are a beautiful coin!

41 minutes ago, CactusJackSWAg said:

Thanks Pete. I want to stack Brits in the near future, after I accumulate some gold. They are a beautiful coin!

I am avoiding gold as long as the gold / silver ratio remains so high.
My left crystal ball predicts gold to fall and silver to rise but my right crystal ball says different.
The earlier, what I call TRUE Britannias, meaning pre- 2013 are nicer in my opinion and several have different designs making collecting them much more interesting.
Some of these listed by APMEX e.g. 2003 for $170 gets my attention. Are USA collectors ready to pay these kind of prices ?

7 hours ago, Pete said:

I am avoiding gold as long as the gold / silver ratio remains so high.
My left crystal ball predicts gold to fall and silver to rise but my right crystal ball says different.
The earlier, what I call TRUE Britannias, meaning pre- 2013 are nicer in my opinion and several have different designs making collecting them much more interesting.
Some of these listed by APMEX e.g. 2003 for $170 gets my attention. Are USA collectors ready to pay these kind of prices ?

I'm no expert, and I cannot speak for others, but I'd have to have a numismatic obsession (I totally made that up) in order to pay $170 for any coin or round. My heart makes its share of decisions for me, but my brain usually has no trouble with a veto for buying high-end bullion. The most I've ever spent for a 1oz piece of silver is $42, and I really just had to have it.

Britannias are my primary stack... The same way that a lot of Americans swear by the silver eagles I suppose. I've got fairly late mintage ones and think they are stunning, here's my favourite! I prefer the newer ones to the 2014 as they just look harder to counterfeit. 

1593279609650206128573129292709.jpg

There are some lovely reverse designs on the earlier Brits.
Many of the post 2013 coins which were struck in 999 silver can suffer from scuffs and marks and some will show light stains akin to milk spots - lack of good rinsing / cleaning during production.
It took the RM a while to address quality issues, though I just sold over 40 perfect 2013 coins that were unmarked but there are hundreds of thousands of poor versions out there.

The 958 alloy ( Britannia silver pre 2013 ) is harder and less prone to fine lines and marks.
The stippled background and other features on the newer Brits perhaps was designed so as to not show up the mint damage on the softer pure silver especially when having a clean mirrored field that is very very unforgiving.

No I got into them because they're CGT free.... Of course now realising that I would need a mountain of them for that to be applicable. But I dig them now. Other than that I've moved onto bars. 

On 14/06/2020 at 03:22, StackerCollector said:

They are CGT free which is why I keep purchasing them. Design-wise I do prefer the coins of the Perth Mint, Pandas and especially Russian proof coins.

Before an emergency expense forced me to sell my entire stack a couple years ago, I had begun collecting Russian one ounce silver coins. And I had made some progress on a full date run on one ounce silver Britannias. (Not to mention random Maples and silver Eagles and Libertads, and others)

But I changed my strategy when I started rebuilding the stack. Now my collecting focuses on a full date run of Onza/Libertads (with the odd "other" coin here and there), with stacking being mostly 90% Mexican and US currency coins, with some other bullion here and there.

At some point I'd like to rebuild a full date run of Britannias, and I still like the Russian coins.

On 19/06/2020 at 06:06, CactusJackSWAg said:

I'm waiting for delivery of my first Britannia. Based on photos and vids, I believe it might be my favorite sovereign coin, or at least tied with our ASE. Hopefully, it will be as beautiful in person as it is in print!

Nice to see another Arizonan on here. Britannias are way better than the Eagle.

Archived