• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any Love for Silver Britannias??

Danny-boy

So, is there much love for the Britannia around here?

It's most of our national bullion coin.

I love it, I have two full BU date runs.

It's a shame the quality dropped off when they swapped to .999, and a poor decision not to change the design each year.

Notwithstanding that, it's still one of my favourites.

Some of the .958 ones are absolutely stunning.

Any other lovers or collectors?

Stacker since 2013

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Founder & Administrator

I have a 2013 one, and I was extremely disappointed with it. 

I couldn't believe that the Royal Mint minted such a terrible looking coin, the design itself isn't that bad, just the quality of the mint and the detail. 

That being said, looking on a dealers site the 2014 coin looked to be a lot nicer. Is that just because they did some needed photoshop work in-order to sell them, or is the 2014 coin actually minted nicer?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

So, is there much love for the Britannia around here?

It's most of our national bullion coin.

I love it, I have two full BU date runs.

It's a shame the quality dropped off when they swapped to .999, and a poor decision not to change the design each year.

Notwithstanding that, it's still one of my favourites.

Some of the .958 ones are absolutely stunning.

Any other lovers or collectors?

I quite like them, as you've probably guessed Danny I have few  :)  but not a full run like you matey Well done :).I do however have 3 proofs which are beautiful, proofs are my thing really,I might put the proofs up in the gallery next week.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Yes, please do.

I had a look at proofs at my local coin show, there is a bloke that sells mostly britannia proofs and proof sets etc.

Nice, but they won't fit into my case. Ha ha. Anal.

I did nearly buy a proof set, but talked myself out of it and bought BU.

Stacker since 2013

I have a 1997 Proof Set of Britannias. It has 1Oz , 1/2 Oz, 1/4 Oz, 1/10 Oz coins.  I like them, but being in a box they take up too much room. The 1/10 coin islsightly tarnished, which isb't great. But I got them ina trade, so all's good!

I'm all about the Britannia's!!!! :) They are my No:1 bullion coin! It is just a real shame that the RM has changed them so they no longer change reverse...Gutted! :(

I'm just starting to put a Britannia .958 97-2012 collection together, it will probably take a long time as i don't want to pay the big prices some go for....I'll probably pick up bargain mint ones where i can on buy it now's. 1997 is going to hurt though.....

You can't have a BU set with one proof!!! Cheating. Ha ha

I have thought of getting a couple 1997's but I'm not paying that price.

For my two sets, I had to pay a fair bit for some coins, but got bargains on others.

Glad I completed them though, prices achieved on eBay have gone nuts for 958 britannias lately.

Some have been going for over £50.

Glad I'm not the only britannia lover.

Stacker since 2013

So, what's so special about the 1997's? Was that a stroke of luck getting hold of the proofs? I don't know much about it.

The 1997 is proof only, so anybody wanting a full date set might want one.

BU started in 1998.

Proofs always hold good money.

Stacker since 2013

I succeeded in collecting a full set of bullion coins and they look great in a box.

The 958 are less prone to scratching and other marks so I agree changing to 999 was a mistake.

The RM struck the Rose for 999 collectors.

It is a pity the RM doesn't follow the Perth Mint by shipping in capsules as this would add very little to the unit cost.

Proofs are out of my budget but they do look good.

I succeeded in collecting a full set of bullion coins and they look great in a box.

The 958 are less prone to scratching and other marks so I agree changing to 999 was a mistake.

The RM struck the Rose for 999 collectors.

It is a pity the RM doesn't follow the Perth Mint by shipping in capsules as this would add very little to the unit cost.

Proofs are out of my budget but they do look good.

I would like to see a lot of mints shipping in capsules. The Perth Mint capsules are really nice and look naturally on the coin, some after market ones I have a couple of coins In are not so great.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I think all coins, especially semi-numi should come in capsules.

It would save me buying them all the time.

But I'm anal, and I like all my capsules to match so it's probably best they don't.

Stacker since 2013

I think all coins, especially semi-numi should come in capsules.

It would save me buying them all the time.

But I'm anal, and I like all my capsules to match so it's probably best they don't.

What do your capsules look like? The Perth Mint ones are fantastic. But I have some coins that came in aftermarket capsules from the dealer, the capsules don't have rounded edges like the PM ones.

The 2 circular ends on these after market capsules stick out a bit from the edges, if you understand what I am trying to describe. And they look terrible. I want to find some good capsules and put some of my single coins in to display. Might even buy some original Perth mint ones and see if anything fits in there.

Discounts / Offers

Mine are in the "terrible" lighthouse ones you describe.

Trouble is I use two sizes, and wanted them all the same.

For the record, I think they look fine.

Yea, I am just particular about things being perfect. If there's a better way to do something it bugs me if it's not done perfectly. Like too much of a gap between the circumference of a coin and the edge of the tray hole.

I would also be annoyed if all the capsules didn't match, that's why I have hidden the coins in those aftermarket capsules somewhere so that they don't get mixed up with my beautiful Perth mint coins.

Discounts / Offers

I take the Perth mint ones out of their original and put them in the "terrible" ones. Ha ha.

Apart from the S2 that is as they are much bigger.

I keep the old capsules though.

I do like the rounded capsules though, and if I could find a manufacturer that did all the sizes then I'd happily swap over.

Stacker since 2013

Genuine Air-Tites without the Lighthouse rims look and feel much better but be aware that opening them later can be "interesting".

I did purchase some super smooth hard acrylic crystal clear caps from a dealer in Guernsey but they were quite expensive.

Good for that special coin.

I haved used cheap Air-Tite cloned caps for regular bullion like Maples and ASEs and they do look better than Lighthouse and they stack into the medical looking red capped thin walled plastic tubes, pictured elsewhere, for easy storage.

Most collectors prefer to keep Perth Mint coins in the original capsules (eg Kookaburras). I however don't consider them truly "air-tie" as some of the older coins seem to have some toning. I like transferring them into black-ring air-tites. Any opinions? Thanks, in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most collectors prefer to keep Perth Mint coins in the original capsules (eg Kookaburras). I however don't consider them truly "air-tie" as some of the older coins seem to have some toning. I like transferring them into black-ring air-tites. Any opinions? Thanks, in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum HCON73. If for your own collection, then I don't see any harm in transferring to air-tites. If you want to maintain the highest possible resale value, and liquidity, then don't transfer.

For example if I had a mint sealed roll, there would be no way I would consider transferring them all to after market air-tites.

Collectors will no doubt prefer them in the original capsules, even if slight toning has started to happen.

Providing you store the silver correctly, with air moister absorbers, then your coins should get very little / no toning. 

Discounts / Offers

• 6 years later...

I received my first Britannia just today from an ebay purchase. 2013 

I was disappointed at first myself & actually truly worried it could be a fake. I am convinced it is genuine, and the design is great. I'm looking forward to acquiring a newer one to see the progression in quality

20200614_013539(1).jpg

Archived