• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Milled Edges on Gold Sovereigns - Wide Variations

LawrenceChard

Milled Edges on Gold Sovereigns - Wide Variations

Yesterday, as usual, I had a few incoming batches of gold sovereigns to check.

This particular batch caught my eye, so we took photos:

SovereignSerrationsDifferentDates.thumb.jpg.2196843cc913f70da21c9bb5856b8f25.jpg

I could have invited guesses for what dates and mintmarks each coin was, but the odds against a correct guess would probably be in excess of a billion to one, so we made life easy.

I would recommend anyone with even a modest quantity of mixed sovereigns to look at their edges in a stack or roll like this. 

With older bullion sovereigns in bulk, I hold a "roll" in my left hand, so that I can flick them to my right hand while checking both sides quickly. I also do similar when hand counting coins in general. Taking a quick look at the edges before you start can yield some interesting results, and this is something which many people don't do.

Sometimes, like on this occasion, there are more differences than expected

I could comment individually on each coin, or on the more obvious differences, but...

... Instead, I will throw it open for comments!

😎

Chards

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

It is not an optical illusion, but I am sure there is no more gold in it.

It is probably just a higher rim.

Higher rim??? That’d send my OCD skyrocketing checking thickness with my acme fake sovereign detector kit. I’d end up in an endless loop … 1,52mm. Not 1,52mm! … Does not compute … does not compute … does not compute lol.

I'd probably want the 2017 out of that photo, because it looks like you're getting more bullion for your buck, even if you aren't!

The 2003 and 1915 look like the runts of the litter, even though they won't be.

Good job that most of us spend more time looking at the coins' faces, rather than their edges!

45 minutes ago, CazLikesCoins said:

Higher rim??? That’d send my OCD skyrocketing checking thickness with my acme fake sovereign detector kit. I’d end up in an endless loop … 1,52mm. Not 1,52mm! … Does not compute … does not compute … does not compute lol.

This might help with your blood pressure:

https://www.chards.co.uk/guides/how-to-detect-fake-coin-forgeries/1085

It is not just aout counterfeits, but other differences in dimensions and specifications.

😎

Chards

15 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

The only thing I recall is that the 2021 Sov had 95 mills as 2021 marked the 95th birthday of QE II.

I believe this was true for the 2021 Proof Sov. Don’t know about the bullion. 

I seem to think we also did a serration count on a bullion version.

😎

Chards

6 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

This might help with your blood pressure:

https://www.chards.co.uk/guides/how-to-detect-fake-coin-forgeries/1085

It is not just aout counterfeits, but other differences in dimensions and specifications.

😎

It's like learning to drive an automatic car and then someone comes along with a manual gearstick getting me confused all over again lol. I think I'll stick with scales, callipers, magnets and a big glass of wine, though not to be drunk when I'm making sure my sovereigns are actually sovereignsl. :D 

On 10/02/2023 at 14:23, CazLikesCoins said:

You may also find slight variations in 1oz gold, especially between the 22ct and 9999 Britannias and the Eagles & Buffalo’s for example, whereby they share the same diameters about 32.7 mm and rim size, but not the same thickness or weight. Of course, both will have 1oz of gold included, thus 31.1035g or about 32.7g for the 22ct. The krugerrand has similar dimensions.

To ensure you are not short-changed by the Mint there’s usually a fraction more gold included!
Photo of Rims of 1987 Britannia-left, 2017 right.

5E3DBF15-2036-4C73-8D2F-C9ED8ED3AC51.jpeg

395D1897-45EA-4B74-A4F2-E4D0AB6049EE.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

You may also find slight variations in 1oz gold, especially between the 22ct and 9999 Britannias and the Eagles & Buffalo’s for example, whereby they share the same diameters about 32.7 mm and rim size, but not the same thickness or weight. Of course, both will have 1oz of gold included, thus 31.1035g or about 32.7g for the 22ct. The krugerrand has similar dimensions.

To ensure you are not short-changed by the Mint there’s usually a fraction more gold included!
Photo of Rims of 1987 Britannia-left, 2017 right.

5E3DBF15-2036-4C73-8D2F-C9ED8ED3AC51.jpeg

395D1897-45EA-4B74-A4F2-E4D0AB6049EE.jpeg

Beautiful coins and thank you for the information. 👍